Unlimited access >

Happy mare suddenly cranky...back problem?

My lease horse that I’ve had for a little over 6 months now is usually enthusiastic and loves her job. Incredible jumper, probably could go a lot higher if we let her! Never so much as kicks out when she’s being ridden.

A few weeks ago I noticed she was unusually “stiff” at the beginning of our ride. Walking slow, short steps…her ears went flat back the second I asked for a trot. She has a large stride for her size and is always very forward, so I was surprised when she picked up a short choppy stride and put the ears back. Gave her a long rein and let her stretch at the trot for about ten minutes until she finally loosened up and felt fine. With the weather getting colder, I assumed it was a cold back and continued to warm her up slowly each ride, and she also did loosen up eventually. The problem went away for a while and she was fine.

It has come back and gotten worse the past week or two. The ears go flat back if I even click my tongue. She really resists going forward, pins the ears, rotates and sticks her head up, and swishes her tail. The other day, when we started trotting she rotated her head and turned it toward the rail, almost like a (very bad) bend. It felt like the inside rein was locked then, nothing I could do would get her straight in either direction. She was always “bending” to the outside. I knew then that it really wasn’t right so I got off. A friend watched me trot her in hand. She is not visibly lame, but still pins her ears and swishes her tail. We also checked the saddle fit, although both not experts it seems to fit great. When I first tried her out the trainer also checked the saddle, so I’m pretty sure thats not the problem but I’m not ruling anything out.

Decided just to groom her and give her some TLC today. When I was currying around her belly, she suddenly spun around and tried to bite me. (We did press around the top her back but I never considering poking around for soreness in other areas.) When I put pressure on her girth area, right behind her elbow, she instantly reacted and lifted her back leg (again, this is a very polite horse that knows not to even think about kicking). This was the only area she was sensitive to, but really did react strongly.

I know this is getting long so I appreciate anyone who reads it and offers their input. Another thing I’m taking into consideration is her conformation, she is prominently downhill with a low set neck and long back. She moves very true to her conformation, naturally heavy on her forehand and riders’ hands. With work we have achieved a better headset, strengthening/use of her hind end, eventually planning on improving her self carriage as we progress. I have been told by various people she is “not built for jumping”, but she always impresses people with her ability. We are jumping low, around 2’6/2’9, she does not struggle with this height and I can tell she would happily go higher but we’re limiting this due to my ability and making sure it’s safe for her as well. She really is incredibly heavy in the hands, and it requires a lot of work to keep her off her forehand but I do know her conformation will limit her in some aspects. I hope this is not a factor for injuries in the future, it would be heartbreaking as she truly does love her job, but her safety comes first.

Again, thanks for reading. I know this is a little long… :uhoh: I talked to my mom and she is more reluctant on having a vet look at her and would prefer some second opinions first. Taking anything into consideration about what might be wrong! Thanks

I would tell your mom that your second opinion should be your vet - no stranger on the Internet can diagnose your horse and design a treatment plan like your vet can, especially without actually seeing the horse and the problem. There’s clearly something bothering her and it could be any number of things based on your description. You could also try a chiropractor, she may be “out” somewhere. Or do you at least have a trainer that can evaluate her and help convince your mom that the vet is the right way to go?

Call your vet. Sounds like either Lyme disease or maybe ulcers.

Vet.
That said I spent the summer working with a team to put a NQR mare back to right. Saddle fitting. Chiro. Massage. Ulcer treatment Finally we seem back to 6 months ago.

Ulcers.

I would start by treating ulcers. You may also have a pain problem that caused the ulcers. Let us know what you find.

I would start by talking to the person who owns the horse you are leasing.

[QUOTE=Come Shine;7841378]
I would start by talking to the person who owns the horse you are leasing.[/QUOTE]

Yup, this. ^^^

Does the person who owns the horse also ride the horse? If so, have they noticed a change? If not, I think it would be right for you to alert them to what’s going on.

Based on your very specific description “When I put pressure on her girth area, right behind her elbow” that screams ULCERS to me and would be one of the first things I would have a vet check, along with a full lameness eval and a chiro check.

Who is responsible for vet care for the horse, according to you lease arrangement? You or the owner?