Unlimited access >

Happy mouth bit in the hunter under saddle???

What are the thoughts on happy mouth bits in the hunter under saddle? i bought a D-ring happy mouth bit for my horse and he goes so well in it and i want to use it when we show in the hunter U/S (he gets too strong when he jump in that bit). i know in the hunters the traditional “style” is a regular D-ring. i show in the 2’6" and moving up to the 3’ soon. if people could give me their thoughts/ opinions that would be great! also i show in the A circuit in Ohio. thanks again everyone :smiley:

If it makes you uncomfortable, you could always ‘sharpie’ the light colored edges so it looks like a rubber bit/make it less obvious.

You’d hardly be the first to show in a happy mouth.

As a judge, it doesn’t bother me at all.

We show hunters in them all the time.

Wouldn’t think twice about a happy mouth. When I see one, I think “what a pleasant horse - I would like to ride it”. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t think it would be an issue.

[QUOTE=snaffle635;7931014]
Wouldn’t think twice about a happy mouth. When I see one, I think “what a pleasant horse - I would like to ride it”. :-)[/QUOTE]

Haha! I used to think that, but I had a horse go in a HMMM. He was an “exciting” ride. A bit unpredictable with the spooking and if he did scoot off, you better not pull on the reins. He just had a sensitive mouth. He did become a wonderful ride once he started living in pasture 24/7, could still spook, but it was much less violent and much rarer.

When I was showing my mare she went in a nathe bit, which has a stark white mouthpiece. She won numerous hacks at rated shows in her white-sided bit. I don’t think it made one hill of beans of difference to the judges or anyone else.

Good luck with your shows!