Unlimited access >

Hard muscles - Hay results

I have posted before about my all round western horse having severely tight muscles. We changed his diet to the PSSM low starch (although he tested negative) and we noticed some better behavior changes, but no physical changes.

Just a quick reminder on the muscles…extremely hard/tight hindquarters, especially the hamstrings. I usually have to warm up and massage him before he can even stretched to be shod in hind end.

Received hay results this morning, the selenium came back <.01% ppm. Added it to Feedxl who then suggested multiple doses of E/Se supplementation to reach desired daily amount.

This is the first time Ive tested my hay with the selenium option. Can I please get some input? Every website I search is such a huge caution for toxicity, can anyone point me in the direction of a good information source. I find that selenium has a large affect on tying up/muscles, but nothing more. I want more detail.

I do plan on doing the blood tests, but after the holidays it will have to be something to plan in to budget this upcoming month.

Thank you so much in advance!

Google “Susan Garlinghouse selenium” and you will get lots of info. She is a DVM that has done lots of research on endurance horses (where this is a common problem).

Thank you so much!

[QUOTE=saffire_100;8459868]
Google “Susan Garlinghouse selenium” and you will get lots of info. She is a DVM that has done lots of research on endurance horses (where this is a common problem).[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t worry one bit about the hay results. What matters is what’s in his blood. You need to test that, so you know how to monitor the selenium supplementation.

Make sure you use selenium yeast or selenomethionine, the organic forms.