Unlimited access >

Hard Swelling on 10yo Broodmare

Hi all, I have recently been working abroad and came back to find my broodmare with a hard welling on the inside of her hindlim above her fetlock. She is lame, but not severely.
Farrier was out, no heat or abscesses…reckons that she might have got a twist.
She as been like this for 3-4 months. Her lameness is like she doesn’t have the same length of stride on the lame leg as sound leg.
I haven’t been able to afford an x-ray yet, and to be honest I’m not sure of it will help. She is only used for a broodmare, never broken.
Has anyone any previous experience with this? Would it be a welfare issue to put her in foal?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

[QUOTE=Dubawi;7918654]
Hi all, I have recently been working abroad and came back to find my broodmare with a hard welling on the inside of her hindlim above her fetlock. She is lame, but not severely.
She as been like this for 3-4 months. Her lameness is like she doesn’t have the same length of stride on the lame leg as sound leg.
I haven’t been able to afford an x-ray yet, and to be honest I’m not sure of it will help. She is only used for a broodmare, never broken.
Has anyone any previous experience with this? Would it be a welfare issue to put her in foal?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Your mare has been lame with an injury for 3-4 months. You need a vet to evaluate her in person. There is no one who can guess over the internet what might be wrong with her. It may be an issue that is worsened by a lack of treatment and continued exercise all of this time.
If you can afford to breed her, you can afford a vet exam for her basic health. It’s a welfare issue to forego basic medical care for any horse.

Good luck, and I hope it isn’t anything serious.

[QUOTE=Dubawi;7918654]
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Your mare has been lame with an injury for 3-4 months. You need a vet to evaluate her in person. There is no one who can guess over the internet what might be wrong with her. It may be an issue that is worsened by a lack of treatment and continued exercise all of this time.
If you can afford to breed her, you can afford a vet exam for her basic health. It’s a welfare issue to forego basic medical care for any horse.

Good luck, and I hope it isn’t anything

Breeding is a big financial commitment. I would not even consider breeding until your finances are in much better shape.

Usually time heals everything … but oh to have the knowledge in knowing how much time it will take !!!
You say she’s barely lame ~ YAY !!! So looks like your over the hump (worst of it). I would STILL hold off on breeding & give her more time off to heal completely. I hope she will. After she foals she gonna want to be moving around to keep up w/that baby. One would think she would be totally healed by the time she foaled ~ BUT why risk the chance ?

[QUOTE=AKB;7918708]
Breeding is a big financial commitment. I would not even consider breeding until your finances are in much better shape.[/QUOTE]

This. If you can’t afford radiographs, you should not be breeding. Not being snippy, just realistic.

Regarding the hard swelling and lameness. If she’s been this way for the last 3-4 months doesn’t mean it’s okay because she’s coped with it. Which seems to maybe your message. But clearly it’s worrying you enough to post here. Good for you.

Again, if you can’t afford radiographs, you’ll be S.O.L. for PG mare costs and vet care for a foal.

I re-read what I wrote above and apologize if it came across as snippy. That wasn’t my intention. I would just highly recommend having your vet look at this sooner rather than later so that you can treat it as needed.

Thanks for the reply everyone. I have no intention of breeding her, i was in fact trying to sell her before I went abroad as a broodmare but not sure if I can advertise her as an unsound broodmare. Thanks for the help