Unlimited access >

Has anyone bought a cold laser for private use? Does it work? Can I afford one?

I have a horse with a chronic SI issue and am trying to extend the time between injections/Osphos treatments. I’ve had other horses and dogs respond well to treatment with the professional ($$$$) units but are the ones for the retail market any good? I haven’t actually had any laser treatment done on this horse yet. I can say that Shockwave and MagnaWave haven’t been helpful.

At this point I’ll believe any snake oil salesman I’m so desperate for help but am opening to listening to reason from others. Any thoughts?

My mare (SI/back issues) responded well to laser treatments using the LaserTouchOne. I didn’t end up buying a unit, but a few friends did and have also had good luck with it. YMMV, of course.

1 Like

If you figure something out please report back!

1 Like

Most Class 3 lasers will not provide the energy needed to effectively treat this area. I would try chiropractic work, or acupuncture, or both before buying a laser for this purpose. If you wanted to buy a small laser to laser the acupuncture points yourself, I have found that to be effective for some horses.

I’m not sure what type of laser you are asking about, but my friend’s horse pulled a suspensory this year and she was able to rent a laser, I think though her vet. Is that a possibility?

This horse does get regular chiropractic and acupuncture. One of the chiropractors has a laser to rent but it’s rented to someone else right now. I was worried about the Class 3 not being strong enough.

What’s the horse’s turnout schedule? Best thing I see for SIs is generous (24/7) turnout and hind shoes. Cheaper than a laser treatment.

2 Likes