Unlimited access >

Has anyone else had trouble with their Amerigo jumping saddle sliding back?

As the title suggests, I am curious if anyone else has had trouble with their Amerigo jumping saddle sliding back on their horse(s)? I have had an Amerigo CC jumping saddle for many years, I love it and I am considering buying a new one. However, I have one complaint of my current Amerigo saddle, that it tends to slide back, especially when jumping. I am a professional and jump lots of different horses, and it tends to slide back on all types of backs. It doesn’t go so far back as to be dangerous, but it does tend to slip down behind the withers, which looks to be uncomfortable for the horse, and puts me slightly beyond the saddle in the air. Although, I’ve never had trouble with horses getting back sore, so perhaps it’s a cosmetic thing? I have been looking for an Amerigo representative to talk to, but have not found one, yet. (I am located in northern, IL, if anyone knows of one).

Thanks!

I know that saddle well since I’ve owned one for 8 years and put it on many different horses. It was the saddle that launched my obsession with saddles. :wink:

Anyway, I’ve seen this before, and it could be a couple of things. Alas, without being there with you, it would be hard to say which:

–It could need a flocking adjustment. Since Amerigos are flocked with a synthetic blend, it can take them much longer to “settle” compared to a saddle flocked with 100% virgin wool. Virgin-wool saddles can settle in 6 to 8 months, or even 2-3 months if they’re in heavy duty use. But my Amerigo took nearly 4 years before it needed an overflock! Adding flocking to the front area, in front of the untacked middle portion of the panels, made a huge difference for my saddle’s slippage and the saddle’s overall balance.

–Try girthing it on different billets. On many horses, I girth mine on the second and fourth billets, and that significantly reduced slippage. Amerigo is designed to sit pretty forward on the shoulder–basically the exact opposite of many other brands–and girthing it on the back billets helps make that happen. (Occasionally, I do run into a horse that’s better served by a different billet combo.)

–It could be way too narrow or way too curvy for the horses you’re putting it on. Since you said this happens on many horses, this is probably not your problem, but it’s the most common reason that I see Amerigos slipping back on horses owned by amateurs.

Barrington Saddlery carried Amerigo for several years, although they don’t anymore. So maybe their saddlers (Kate Briggs and Michael Dainton) could shed some light on your situation. If not, Ann Forrest at Equestrian Imports is the person I usually send folks to re: Amerigo questions. She’s an excellent, well-qualified fitter who has carried the Amerigo lineup for years, and she’s used to working at a distance.

Good luck!

Great advice, thank you!

I have a DJ that never moves. Of course, I doubt I ride nearly as much as you do!

Mine slips back if my girth is just a little loose.

Try girthing it on different billets. On many horses, I girth mine on the second and fourth billets, and that significantly reduced slippage. Amerigo is designed to sit pretty forward on the shoulder–basically the exact opposite of many other brands–and girthing it on the back billets helps make that happen. (Occasionally, I do run into a horse that’s better served by a different billet combo.)

Can you tell me does the first and second billets go right over the saddle? I was told to always use the first billet on saddles as it is the only one that goes right over the saddle.

All the billets are on the same webbing and are anchored to the tree.

EverboldFarm, Can you talk a bit about what happens when your saddle slides back? I am having a similar problem, and am on the continuing quest for a saddle that is balanced for me, and still fits my horse. He is a big mover and an extravengant jumper, and I find I am way behind his center of gravity and unable to stay with him as fence height goes up. Thanks, fg