Unlimited access >

Has anyone ever dyed their horse's mane or tail using drugstore dyes?

I’ve heard that there are some, dissatisfied with the colour nature gave their horse’s tail, who’ve resorted to a box of Miss Clairol.

If you’ve ever slipped on a pair of plastic gloves and dyed Trigger’s tail a brilliant shade of Chestnut Oak, were you satisfied with the result?

Confession: I can’t get an appointment with my hairdresser for two months and may have to resort to a Kamikaze At Home Dye-Job to cover an increasing number of grey hairs - this is but a clever ploy to gather some intelligence under the guise of a horsey-thread.

I dyed my horse’s star blue once, as a joke. He wasn’t rideable, let alone showing, so that didn’t bother anyone…

But, for dye jobs for your “horses” - my words of wisdom:

1. Never trust an overly-caffienated roommate to put highlights in your hair.
  2. If you do have a lapse of judgement and allow #1 to happen, make SURE your part is straight before bleaching begins.
  3. There is no such thing as Temporary Bleach.
  4. “A Few Tips” can fast transform into “Lots of Random Chunks”
  5. More bleach is not the answer for bad bleach.
  6. Kool-Aide Red is not a comforting dye name.
  7. Bright Red + Bleach White = Pink
  8. If what’s underneath is really that bad, you’re going to have to keep dying it Bright Red to cover until the bleached part grows out.
  9. It is never a good thing for your hair dresser to openly laugh and call over others to see your hair.

And, most importantly…

1. Conservative, preppy guys typically do not like girls with pink hair, and are more than willing to express that feeling.

I believe the dying rule is to prevent horse-swapping through color-changing…you know, so Miss Red Roan doesn’t become Miss Dark Bay With Three White Socks…

heidi, on a whim on SAturday night, my friends and I dyed my “mane” and straightened it We used Clairol Nice ‘n’ Easy–normally I wouldn’t go with such an el cheapo route but it was just for the fun of it, so whatever–you’re only young once, right? The color really isn’t drastic at all, my dark blonde is just more strawberry now. Anyway, my hair isn’t fried at all, in fact it feels quite silky still, even after 2+ hours with a blow dryer and straightening iron. The conditioner they give you is quite nice.
I was tempted to go with the Feria because the commercials look so shiny but I’ve been told it looks horribly fake and plastic-y so I nixed that thought. My other suggestion would be that new L’Oreal [I think] Open stuff, looks interesting…

Good luck with that mane and tail dying project

I had a strawberry roan Appaloosa with a light mane and tail… a little SUN IN every June and he became a BLOND. Gorgeous!

“People… they’re so
complicated. I suppose
that’s why I prefer
horses.”

LOL Delighted I am living proof that #10 does not hold true always!!

Remember back in Jr high when those crayon colored dyes called ‘Manic Panic’ were in? When I met my BF (he’s a REPUBLICAN ) I had two red (pink after the first wash!) streaks in the front of my hair

Of course lucky for him he missed the purple and blue days

I think you’re allowed to dye the mane and tail, but not any other parts of the body.

I know tons of people who’ve dyed their bay’s bleached out tail back to black…I did it myself!! Just be careful not to do it when flies are around…My friend ended up with a zebra-striped horse!!

“And sometimes I don’t know why this old world can’t leave well enough alone” ~Tim Mcgraw

Egads, how stupid does Neiman Marcus assume us to be?

http://www.style.com/shop/v3/Product.run?pc=ESF01_A165

I dyed my horse’s sunburnt tail black once and it looked good just be careful he doesn’t swish flys!

If you can’t beat 'em, try harder. And God Bless America my home sweet home!

<----Has Florescent Pink Manic Panic in her hair right now.

I’m an adult. I swear.

Always,
FairWeather
If you ever reach total enlightenment while you’re drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. - Jack Handy

http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

I am VERY tempted to brush on beard dye to darken George’s mane! After this next clipping he will be even lighter, so I think it will be time for some darkening techniques!

~Christina~
“Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!”
JD;Heathers
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

I loved Manic Panic - my brother (who actually knows what he’s doing, unlike my roommate) did streaks of midnight blue and fire red in my hair just before 9th grade picture day. Didn’t get too many compliments on those portraits from the grandparents, for some odd reason

I dated a (conservative) guy who not only bleached his hair WHITE, but then dyed it stripey 'cause he thought it was neat. Success!! Unfortunately, last year’s voyage to the land of Kool-Aide was not so successful, and Preppy!Boy just kind of scurried off in horror. Oh well

For the bays…

Clairol Natural instincts in neutral black. Comes out looking fantastic, lasts forever, and is very easy. Its the box with the spiky hair gilr on the front. I have done many a tail!!!

And now we are officially on to month 5…which reminds me, its Pneumabort time!!!

There’s a product out there called "Casting(s?) by either Clairol or L’Oreal. It’s temporary (meaning it washes out in 10 or so shampoos). If you’re just starting out, try that. Don’t try the permanent stuff (and anything with peroxide in it is usually permanent) until you’re used to the process and like the results. Don’t go too dark! It will “flatten” all your, er, your horse’s, highlights and the hair will look like one boring blob. Another advantage of the temporary dye is that it gradually washes out so you don’t get roots.

Also, be forewarned that dying a dark shade (something other than blond) may color your scalp, er, your horse’s mane and tail base. That’s okay. Even with the premanent stuff it washes away in one or two shampoos.

When you do decide to use permanent stuff, be aware that it will lighten over a week or so as it gets exposed to air. The color you get after you first dry your hair will look very severe, but it will calm down.

Seriously for horses… a couple friends of mine have had good luck using color enhancing shampoos (the kind sold for people) to cover up minor sun bleaching of black/dark brown manes and tails. There’s no committment since it washes out, and you don’t have to be nearly as careful as with the more potent stuff.

A note of warning: even the temporary color products or the color enhancing shampoos can end up permanent if your hair has already been chemically treated. So they’re not a solution for overly highlighted hair! Believe me, I tried, and the results were not pretty!

I’ve heard that there are some, dissatisfied with the colour nature gave their horse’s tail, who’ve resorted to a box of Miss Clairol.

If you’ve ever slipped on a pair of plastic gloves and dyed Trigger’s tail a brilliant shade of Chestnut Oak, were you satisfied with the result?

Confession: I can’t get an appointment with my hairdresser for two months and may have to resort to a Kamikaze At Home Dye-Job to cover an increasing number of grey hairs - this is but a clever ploy to gather some intelligence under the guise of a horsey-thread.

I dye my bay TB’s face, because it is so grey. I use clariol permenent dark brown. It doesn’t look fake and it really covers the grey.

I touch up Ye Olde Roots. Because I’ve gotta cover that gray and tweak Ye Olde Dishwater, dontcha know.

I use Wella 1290 (Ultralight Blonde) and Ye Olde Plaine Olde 20 volume peroxide.

These gray hairs were at first a shock, but since I AM TURINING 40 ON FRIDAY they are part of nature’s plan.

Hmm… If only I had a scanner I could share with you my days of the purple/blue checkerboard 'do. I couldn’t decide between the two so I just did both! And no I did not dye my hairnets to match and yes I did give my trainer heartattacks on a regular basis over the years

Sigh… I have finally caved however and have started getting my hair foiled by a pro every so often. My poor overdone hair appreciates that I am no longer subjecting it to regular bleaching, but my credit card is crying

Hey Fairweather - I think I still have a couple jars of manic panic in the basement, which is where they went when my parents tried to hide them after I dyed parts of the bathroom floor and sink purple (Hey it faded out mostly eventually!!)

1 Like

It’s against AHSA rules! (and no I haven’t done it)

Years ago,My mom the hairdresser had me rinse cranberry juice through the tail.It gave the red highlights a glimmer.I really wanted to spruce it up but she wouldn’t go for it, no less the trainers.

Wish I could find the picture to prove it. But a friend of mine “dyed” her gray mare purple, yes a lovely shade of lavender for a costume class. It was Easter time and my friend rode in the class with a matching hat with lovely lavender eggs hanging from all around the brim. It was great!!

An Arab trainer I knew had a professional hairdresser come to the barn once to “dye” a gray stallion’s mane and tail. OMG, by the time they were through messing around the poor thing had a rather plum looking tail and streaky stuff on his neck. I think his show season was cut a bit short that year. The owner was not particularily impressed. Duh.

Regarding those nasty grey ones…human kind…I refused to fight it long ago. But of course having blondish hair in the beginning doesn’t hurt the process.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”