Has anyone gone through para classification? Did you regret it?

I’ve read the FEI classification guide, I best fit a combined profile of 20 + 24, which would make me grade III. I based that on the profile descriptions and on “Eligible Impairments” subcategory “Neurological - peripheral nerve damage; impaired muscle power, aquired brain injury” (I also have EDS, dysautonomia, mast cell activation disorder, and severe hemiplegic migraines, but I don’t think they care about those since they’re “difficult to measure or grade”). I’ve been under the sole care of the Mayo Clinic for these issues for the past 4 years, so documentation/test results etc. aren’t an issue.

But here’s where I’m hung up. My impairments are invisible disabilities, and although I get frustrated when I hear “you don’t look sick” or “you seem fine to me,” I’m also glad I don’t have to deal with the things my wheelchair-bound brother did. A lot of the time I can pass as pretty clumsy but “normal.” And since the VA put me on 100% service-connected disability (the first neuro issues showed up halfway through a combat flight over Afghanistan), on my bad days I have the luxury of hiding indoors and not seeing anyone.

I know this sounds like a whiny first-world problem, (and frankly it is, I’m lucky I have a table and food to put on it) but on an emotional level I don’t FEEL disabled. I don’t identify with that label, in fact I put a lot of effort into faking being well in public. But rationally, I know I have limitations, and no matter how much I may dislike it I can’t hold onto a regular rein anymore with my left hand, or feel much of my feet when in the stirrups.

I was always pretty terrible at jumping, but I am actually good at dressage (not trying to sound all boastful, just that I have what IMO are solid reasons to believe that). But with the change to DR119.11 I can’t just get a dispensation certificate anymore, I’d have to get classified as a para equestrian now as well.

“Riders with a diagnosed permanent disability who require the use of compensatory aids or adaptive equipment must hold a Federation Dispensation Certificate indicating their International (FEI) or their National (USEF) classification status.”

I know it’s arbitrary, but I feel like I should get to be the one to decide whether or not I want to have that label. I worry that once that prefix is on, I won’t be seen as me anymore, everything will be viewed through that filter first.

So if you have gone through the process, how was it? If I do decide to go ahead, what can I expect, both from the federation side and from other competitors? For those with invisible disabilities, what have the responses been from those who only see the equipment and not the underlying issues?

This article talks about para classification and equipment dispensations from the para athlete’s perspective. A very positive perspective, BTW.

reader.mediawiremobile.com/TheAikenHorse/issues/107730/viewer?page=69

Can’t seem to make the link work, but if you go to theaikenhorse.com and look at the current issue (free, online), it’s the article titled “Pam Hardin”.

Hi Button,
There are two of us actively competing in high performance para dressage in Phoenix. Several of us have “invisible” disabilities because we are so good at hiding our weaknesses, especially grades 3 and 4. The para competitors are like a family and are very welcoming to new people. In para you are actually embraced as normal which surprises a lot of people. It’s not that your issues are ignored, but that that they are 100% accepted. We all have different issues, but our goals are the same! The para group is a group of people that are differently abled not disabled. I haven’t found any stigma from other people and no one has labeled me as “disabled” because I do para. The program has made me a better rider from coaching opportunities, international experience, and a group of people with an attitude to become better than we think we can be.

Classification is a simple process for the most part. You can become nationally classified (USEF only) or internationally classified (FEI). If you only do FEI classification, this is accepted by USEF without separate classification. I became FEI classified at my first CPEDI (para CDI), and was not classified before that. Many people choose to go to a CPEDI before they come to compete so they can be classified prior to planning for their first CPEDI. Either way is fine. If you need a Dispensation Certificate from USEF prior to having the opportunity to get internationally classified, then you’ll need to be nationally classified. For example, if you want to compete this fall with looped reins, you’ll want to get nationally classified since the next CPEDI in the US is not until January. USEF will be able to tell you if there is a classifier in Phoenix and if not, where the closest classifier is.

Send me a PM and we’ll try to get connected! Let me know how I can help you!

Thank you everyone!

I think a big part of my hesitancy came from the reactions of people when I brought it up. For example this was the “conversation” I had with my trainer about it.

Me: I was thinking about doing the para classification.
Trainer: I don’t think that’s a good idea.
Me: Why not?
Trainer: I just don’t think it is. (Walks away)

I don’t know how many times I’ve said some variation of “I can’t stop the left rein from slowly sliding through my hand” or “no, I don’t know where my leg is I can’t feel my feet.” But it feels like sometimes people just override that and project their own issues on instead of listening to what I’m actually saying, which is frustrating.

I’m also trying to phrase this carefully, both because I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing people and it’s not my viewpoint, but I’ve also gotten the impression that what’s really important to a lot of people in dressage-land is fitting in this pretty picture “ideal” and if you deviate from that (like riding a non-warmblood, the horror! :lol:) then you’re somehow inferior. I should probably be thicker skinned about it, but I don’t want to deal with the snarkiness that I’ll get from some people for “choosing” to not fit the mold anymore. However I know not everyone feels that way, and I’m encouraged by the responses I’ve had so far. I think there are a lot of people (like me) who just feel lucky to get to ride at all. I’m tentatively thinking I’m going to start down this path and see where it takes me. I’ll update if people are interested.

Flyracing - PM heading your way! :slight_smile:

Pam Hardin, mentioned above, has a website- Para-Pam.com

She talks in her posts about the classification process, about dispensations, and about competing. Check it out. I believe she has contact info there, as well. You can also check out this article:
http://read.uberflip.com/i/698022-july-4-2016/103? I think it starts on pg 102

Button, your trainer is a fool. Fire him/her. Do what YOU think is best.

We have a very strong para dressage group locally - from what I’ve seen it’s not just about helping with ensuring you have the right equipment/coaching, it’s also about the community it drives. If you can qualify, I’d go for it.

We have a professional locally who is a para rider herself due to an injury, but she also competes and coaches to able-bodied FEI. I don’t believe she uses adaptive equipment, but could be wrong.

I’d second that you need a trainer who is more experienced with para riders to assess if it would make sense to do the assessment, and provide coaching that is more understanding of neuro issues.

That is hardly a conversation. :frowning:

Hmmm, perhaps your trainer has preconceived notions about ParaEquestrians, or feels that she/he may not be able to coach you if you suddenly have a Para classification. Is trainer somehow threatened by your decision to get classified?

Regardless: If your coach is NOT hearing you, and is unwilling to even discuss your riding needs and choices, you may find a new set of eyes is needed. A trainer is supposed to help you reach your goals and progress as a rider, as you are, not as an “ideal, pretty picture” rider!! (And on a non-WB, the horrors!!) :wink:

I was a groom and navigator for my friend who competed in combined driving. We made it to the Worlds in 2004, and she had to be examined to confirm her classification. I was with her in the room for the exam and discussion. Nothing really mysterious about the procedure.

One of my current trainers had years and years working with ParaEquestrians, including coaching and serving on the US team for the ParaOlympics several times. One of my former barnmates was a US Team competitor, too, with the same trainer. So I had another view of the world of Para riders. All pretty darn positive!

[QUOTE=Natalie A;8810404]
Would love to hear other people’s thoughts on this, too - approaching my first ever dressage show (hopefully!) this fall and I’m going to try it without a dispensation (this is a schooling show that strictly follows USEF rules) and see what happens. I have a visual impairment along with a neuromuscular disorder and would probably be classified as a level 3 but am in no way competent or have a horse capable of the tests! It seems like a lot of time and work to get classified when I’m not going to be competing in para but if it turns out I need better visuals for the dressage letters I might have to…[/QUOTE]

I came to this part of COTH to ask about this…a friend’s daughter has really taken to dressage, she has CP with some limitations to her lower limbs. She wants to compete in dressage, but needs aids to help keep stirrups on her feet. Her horse will never be a GP horse, and she just wants to show at the local USDF shows anyway. If she gets classified as a para equestrian, does that mean that she won’t be able to compete with able bodied riders at regular dressage shows?

As long as you salute, you don’t have to be concerned with what the judge does. I’m certain they won’t give you a dispensation to get signals from your trainer (other than specifically allowed calling of letters for visual impairment).

[QUOTE=Draftmare;8836944]
I came to this part of COTH to ask about this…a friend’s daughter has really taken to dressage, she has CP with some limitations to her lower limbs. She wants to compete in dressage, but needs aids to help keep stirrups on her feet. Her horse will never be a GP horse, and she just wants to show at the local USDF shows anyway. If she gets classified as a para equestrian, does that mean that she won’t be able to compete with able bodied riders at regular dressage shows?[/QUOTE]

Part of the purpose of dispensation is to be able to enter the regular tests with the tools necessary to succeed (rubber bands to stirrups or magnetic stirrups in your daughter’s case.) I ride FEI para and FEI regular. I would not be able to do FEI regular without dispensation.

Bumping up to say that I (finally) got classified this year, it was a fascinating experience and I got a grade that really matches my strengths and weaknesses. Looking forward to working on the para tests for my grade with the goal of doing a few rated shows by the end of next year and hopefully a CPEDI 1* whenever one makes it to the West Coast again.

Does anyone here know how many para scores you need for USDF All-Breeds? I know it’s not as many as with the other levels just judging from what I’ve seen on social media, but I cannot find a number. The breed association of the horse I ride does have a para award…