Unlimited access >

Has anyone sold/leased mares to Jes Sica (Jessica Drees-Wooldridge) or done any breeding business with her?

This post is on fire on Facebook:
This is not a post I take lightly and I have thought long and hard before deciding to go public with it. My intention is to protect horses and their owners. In August 2016, I helped fellow breeder Jes Sica (Jessica Drees-Wooldridge) out. She had a breeding for her mare but the stallion owner backed out at the last minute. She posted about it on Facebook. I offered to help her out by shipping semen from one of our stallions and she accepted. The agreement was that she would pay the stud fee, collection fee and shipping costs. She needed semen the next day so we collected and shipped on good faith. She gave me her FedEx account number so the shipment could be billed to her. A month later, I got a bill from FedEx, charging the shipment to me as the credit card she had given was no good. I contacted her and asked her to take care of it. She promised she would. Another month went by and I received another bill from FedEx. This was now overdue and hindering my account so I paid the bill. In the meantime, I had not received any payment from her for the stud fee and collection fee. She asked if she could pay me in October and I said yes. October came and went and no payment was received. She then promised to pay by May at the very latest. To make a long, sad story short, as of today I still have received nothing from her. We have a signed contract and she readily admits that she owes me money. She continuously promises to pay yet somehow, I keep slipping to the bottom of her list. She has been buying, leasing and breeding mares and posting about them here on Facebook. As I continue to wait and become increasingly impatient, I have begun to contact other people who have business dealings with her and find out that I am not the only one who is getting shafted. Her collection of mares gets larger and larger as does the list of people she owes money to. She unfriended me from Facebook and has completely ignored any of my attempts to communicate. Please be warned and beware. PLEASE SHARE!!!

Hmmm, I wonder why the initial stallion owner backed out at the last minute.

Is there a chance that Jes might forge this stallion owner’s signature on a breeding certificate to register the foal this year? I’d be contacting the ATA and giving them a heads up at least.

I am a veterinarian that did work forJessica in 2015 and 2016. The first year she paid me but the second year paid less than half what she owed. I finally got a court judgement.She is not truthful and does not know enough about horses to have a breeding operation. [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-attachmentid”:9944995}[/ATTACH]

jessica  judgement order 11-6-17.jpg

5 Likes

Our farm motto is, in God we trust…all others cash! :wink: I refuse to ship semen or horses to anyone unless they have paid up front and in full. Nothing leaves our property without cash in hand. It is unfortunate that the few dishonest people out there have made it that way, but is a good business practice to abide by in the horse world! I’m sorry you got ripped off by someone when you were simply trying to help them out. :frowning:

4 Likes

I’m also so sorry you got ripped off, and I think many people appreciate the warning!

But, just for reference, I’m pretty sure that no respectable mare owner would ever presume to receive semen without having paid for it first. In other words, a respectable mare owner would automatically plan to skip that cycle and make arrangements for the next–without posting about it on Facebook, fishing for sympathy/charity etc. I can’t imagine expecting semen to be shipped to me without the stallion owner having a contract and money in hand, even a stallion owner that I had worked with successfully for multiple years running.

For those that do find themselves in a pinch, there are so many very handy “same day” methods of paying nowadays, so there’s just really no excuse. Both stallion owners, mare owners, and BOs should acquaint themselves with those methods.

Obviously many people post about their daily dramas on FB, but personally I would find a post about a “stallion owner backing out at the last minute” and a mare “needing to be bred” to be a red flag. There is definitely a time to step in and help people, but there is also a time to step back and let people take care of their own business, especially when it is the pursuit of a very expensive luxury (like breeding a mare).

5 Likes

Unfortunately, there are well known Stallion Owners that do go ahead and ship semen to Mare Owners without getting paid up front. A few of them I consider friends. I have then had those same Mare Owners come to us for shipped semen and get extremely upset that I politely refused to ship any semen without a signed contract and money in hand. I understand the Stallion Owners above are likely just trying to help a Mare Owner out, but it really causes conflict for the rest of us that are trying to do business dealings the correct way.

Agreed!!

3 Likes

Does she still need anything from you to register this horse at some point? Or did she manage to get away scott free?

2 Likes

She has some listed for sale https://www.dreamhorse.com/list-my-horses/618995.html

Just curious: did you receive the excuse that this person’s mother (or another relative) has cancer? That seems to be a favorite in the non-payment playbook. I’ve gotten that excuse more than once. In one case, I ended up having to repo a horse. Wouldn’t it just be less stressful to not amass bills you can’t pay?

1 Like

Expose this person all you can on social media so that a google search will tell the world exactly who they are! About the best and only revenge, and the cheapest that you can get.

3 Likes

I don’t quite get ripping off semen because doesn’t the mare owner need the stud owner to sign off on the registration eventually? Or will foal be sold to unsuspecting buyer as pending registration then never be registered?

1 Like

Bumping this. Updates are going around on Facebook that she has surrendered horses in very poor condition to third parties.