Unlimited access >

Has anyone used Cooper Rawls in Lex, KY for teeth floating?

Curious as is he is a lay dentist (not a vet) and is floating teeth at a local tack sale/shot clinic…

I personally won’t (typically) use a lay dentist.

[QUOTE=chelzee22;8554124]
Curious as is he is a lay dentist (not a vet) and is floating teeth at a local tack sale/shot clinic…

I personally won’t (typically) use a lay dentist.[/QUOTE]
Does he have any sort of credentials? Graduate from a dental program? Work in conjunction with any vet practices?

I use a non-DVM dentist. But, his family has been equine dentists for a long time, both he and his father graduated from a good dental program, he’s associated with a local vet that travels with him and sedates, and word of mouth was generally positive (some hate him because “All he wants to do is pull teeth so he can charge extra!!!” but I take into account that most that say that are rather cheap about their horse care).

Long story short, being a lay dentist could be fine, or a nightmare.

It appears he’s on the books at this farm, maybe you know someone there you could ask?
http://www.delimastables.com/services/boarding/

I use Travis McVey at Park Equine, Paris, he’s a DVM specializing in dentistry and very good with the old guy, LauraKY recommended him to me. He probably costs more but he is quiet, and the old guy is relaxed around him, very important to me. I consider their farm calls reasonably priced and I’m way out north of Georgetown.

ReSomething, Interesting thing is Park Equine is doing the vaccines and this guy is doing dental. Here’s the event-- https://www.facebook.com/events/1757145137847301/

[QUOTE=ReSomething;8554852]
I use Travis McVey at Park Equine, Paris, he’s a DVM specializing in dentistry and very good with the old guy, LauraKY recommended him to me. He probably costs more but he is quiet, and the old guy is relaxed around him, very important to me. I consider their farm calls reasonably priced and I’m way out north of Georgetown.[/QUOTE]

I used Cooper twice. He only does a manual float without tranq and honestly, he didn’t do a very good job. I’ve used Travis McVey at Park Equine for years, but any Park vet will do a good job. Travis kept the ancient pony comfortable for years…and as a side benefit he has a wonderful sense of humor. Travis Burns is pretty awesome too.

POOKY is hosting the event? I really need to fix the truck, the prices are almost worth the drive, but the first time I had the old guy done it was my local older vet and he did it manually, can’t say I was really pleased with the manual process on an old horse like that, there was a lot of bleeding that could have been avoided IMO, but of course he hadn’t had his teeth done for I don’t know how long. I wonder if arrangements couldn’t be made for a float from one of Park’s vets - but they might not have the time at the event . . .

Nope, I wouldn’t chance it with the old guy. For the pony, who gets fat on air, I might use the person, or on the other hand, I might skip it altogether.