Unlimited access >

Has Anyone Used Metal Roofing on a High Tunnel?

I have a greenhouse high tunnel that is going to need a new cover. The previous cover lasted a few years beyond its 10 year recommended use but was pricey.

I have wondered about using metal roof panels which are 12’x3’ and I would use them horizontally. I would have doors and vents on the end. Has anyone tried this before and did it work out for you? Both options are pricey but I think the metal would last longer. With the current cover, the tunnel has had a heavy snow/ice load and did fine. It has also done well in heavy winds and is anchored into the ground.
Thanks!

I am admit that I am not sure what you are asking fully. I can not picture what you describe.

Are you simply asking can corrugated metal roofing be used on a flat roof?

Have you seen the arched greenhouse frames made out of piping that usually have what looks like a plastic covering over them? Thats what I have.

It looks like this.

Metal gets awfully hot in the sun. How much would this affect growing conditions?

1 Like

It would no longer be used for plants, just storage and I have vents I can add as well.

I think metal would be too heavy. Since you’re using this for storage rather than as a greenhouse, I’d cover the hoops with a big, heavy duty tarp. I’d still probably reinforce the ties between your hoops.

1 Like

For storage? Not seeing the benefit. It is heavy and expensive. Far better to look into one of the tarp covers. They really are not tarps anymore. Case in point, the town next to me has been using a "Clear Span’ tarp structure for the last decade for a Massive salt shed. You could stick an indoor arena in the thing. A decade on and it still looks brand new.
Look at the AgFabric/Clear Span types.

3 Likes

Thats what I have on it now and it is just now starting to fail. I probably will replace it with the same thing-just wondered about metal as I was looking at the metal carport style structures for sale too. The frame on those look comparable to the the frame on my high tunnel. I chose the heavy duty package when I bought it.

My thought is to get rid of the old greenhouse structure and have a proper storage building put up on the site. Enjoyed helping you spend your money. :smiley:

2 Likes

My general thought is that though corrugated metal roofing is wonderful stuff, that it would likely not conform to this shape well enough to work.
It will also add quite a bit of weight. So though this structure was fine with the snow load in the past, I doubt it was designed for the snow load plus the weight of the metal.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your input. I am thinking I am going to buy another replacement cover. This one worked well for over 10 years so I will try it again.

If snow load is a problem in your area, putting metal up with the grooves running parallel to the ground, which I assume you’d do, will inhibit some drainage and snow falling.

1 Like

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts on the subject. I am going to get another coverall type cover which is what I have now. It worked well for me. I am able to store my trailer in there with other equipment.
I looked on some homesteading sites that did use the metal and while they liked using it, I didn’t care for the look as much as I thought I would.
Thanks again everyone!