Unlimited access >

Have a look at the Bassett Hounds

Out with Bassett Hounds last Saturday in Worcestershire. Lovely countryside and we even managed to have some sunshine. The hounds were busy, the followers went up and down a small hill several times and had interesting conversations, everyone went home contented.

12 Likes

Fantastic! I have never seen a basset actually out hunting (and the ones I have seen had such horrible legs I am not sure they would have held up to doing it). That must have been such a fun outing.

1 Like

@phantomhorse The working Bassett has the short legs, long ears etc but not to the extremes of the show hounds. They are quite well balanced and surprisingly athletic. When they are on a line, they can go like the clappers and cover a lot of ground. Their music is the best!

4 Likes

Love seeing those Bassetts living their best life! It’s pretty amazing seeing these breeds in their intended environments.

Growing up, we always got dachshunds from this feral German woman who let her dachsies prowl the woods in a pack of diminutive but intimidating warriors, for better or worse lol. But they were fit, wiry little beasts that never had weight issues.

I also never knew any of them to have back issues, except the grizzled old Erda, who had several bulging discs. “Oh, does she have a bad back?”, my mother asked. Breeder answered: “Ach, well…. she was thrown by a coyote.” :flushed:

3 Likes