Unlimited access >

Have to get a Cast... need ideas

So not really riding related but, I have to get a cast to immobilize a torn Achilles tendon. So below the knee to the toes. II can find bags to put over it when showering so it stays dry etc. BUT what do you do when walking in wet grass etc. things that can’t be avoided on a farm. (or for that matter can’t be avoided walking to the car at our house).

Any ideas?

what is the amount of bulk on the foot.?

I would slip on waterproof overpants.

Then take a look at N.E.O.S New England Over Shoes. One piece waterproof boot that slips on over footwear. These have been the number one outdoor equipment item I ever invested in. I am on my second pair in 35 years. I have worn them in jungles deserts and in the muck of the Thames. They slip on over heels, sneakers and low profile hiking shoes.

THANK YOU! those overshoes are what I was needing.
hopefully they will fit over the foot of the cast.

I hope so, they have different foot “heights” for different type footwear. If they dont fit over the cast you may be stuck using a heavy duty construction grade trash bag. the NEOS will be there for when you are better, They absolutely rock and can fit so neatly in car trunk or suitcase

Press ‘N Seal - for showering and out and about = great water protection and LIGHT !

Get a dozen rolls at grocery ASAP ~

My advice - stay off of it as much as possible. Use crutches. My foot is still bothering me and it’s been 9 months from my injury. Tendons are notoriously difficult to heal. I had bone bruising, Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. Never noticed the Achilles tendonitis, but that plantar fasciitis is a pain. Now my ankle has started swelling so I’m guessing I stained those ligaments as well. The doctor wanted additional x rays on my ankle which I refused because it feels like ligament damage, not a bone injury. I may go in for another MRI. The plantar fasciitis does seem to be improving, just extremely slowly. I’ve noticed clicking in my ankle, so I may just need to go back in again. My doctor just suggested physical therapy and really didn’t have any useful suggestions since it is not a surgical case.

Go to a medical equipment store. They have all sorts of waterproof coverings to put over casts. You can shower with them, too.

Thank you guys! I am irritated at being in the boot for 8 weeks, and now for 4 weeks and now a cast for 6 weeks. So my ability to problem solve or give a d$#* about it is making it hard to find what is going to be needed.

I have rheumatoid arthritis so crutches are really hard on my hand and shoulder joints. Doctor says I am OK to walk on it once cast but to “take it easy”. We run dog shows almost every weekend so staying off of uneven ground (as the doctor prefers) is going to be a tough order.

The overshoe sounds like what you need to me. Not quite what you need this time of year - but my neighbor works outside all winter, and gets cold extremely easy. He has a pair of overboots for his regular boots and his feet stay completely dry and warm - and they are on over insulated hiking boots, so I would hope your cast is not bigger than a pair of insulated hiking boots.

Probably too late for you, sorry, but for the future… You can get a fiberglass cast. They cost a little more but they are a lot lighter and they can stand up to a little water. You still want to keep the skin underneath dry avoid cast crud, but walking on a dewy lawn would be no problem. Also, they come in better colors than plaster casts.

Yes!! I had a waterproof cast when I came off and broke my arm. I was allowed to shower in it, and rinse it out with the hose if my arm got itchy underneath, or a horse spit bran mash on it.

Honestly, it wasn’t perfect, because it took several hours to dry out - about as long as it takes to air-dry my long hair.

I had to pay extra for the materials since insurance didn’t deem it medically necessary, but it wasn’t that expensive.

if you can manage it you might consider a mobility scooter. smaller than a golf cart but still able to get around in your farm / dog show environment