Have you been dumped by friends because of your disability?

[QUOTE=Ajierene;5360293]
It is a matter of life that most people will drift in and out of yours. It is not just during trying times or because of a disability. Many people will just drift out. You are probably more cognizant of it because you are sensitive about your disability.

A wise person once told me that in your entire life, you will only have 3 true friends.

So, instead of worrying about the people that have wandered out of your life, count the ones that have not and count your blessings.[/QUOTE]

This is generally true. However, it can be devastating for someone who has just gotten life-changing bad news and then ALL your friends disappear overnight. Or, in my case, you actually get a phone call saying they won’t be seeing you anymore.

I guess my sister was lucky. During her last days, she had friends coming out of the woodwork to travel 1,000 miles to stay with her.

She’d had to go to a hospital in the midwest that specialized in her type of cancer. Her SO stuck it out for three months, but finally (and understandably) needed a month off.

At the time, we didn’t realize it was the end of the road for her.

SO felt really guilty about it after she died - but when I think of all her friends and relatives who had that one last chance to spend time with her - we were all blessed by his decision.:yes:

[QUOTE=pAin’t_Misbehavin’;5360035]
Sort of. My late husband was deaf. I had a friend who stopped going out in public with me when I started dating LH, because she couldn’t handle the “spectacle” we made of ourselves by communicating in sign language.:rolleyes: What a shallow little twit, no?:lol:

I think I’m in the process of doing the opposite!

I have a friend who is the original Negative Nell. Can snatch defeat right out of the jaws of victory, as my Dad likes to say.

It was getting on my nerves, so I decided every time she said something negative, I’d think of something positive to say in return. Oddly enough, she’s stopped calling me!:D[/QUOTE]

My goodness, shallow little twit is a kind way to describe that friend :yes: I have never once thought of people communicating in sign language as making a spectacle of themselves. Honestly, if I were to say something so mindless, I hope someone would slap me across the face hard enough to get the gerbil back on his wheel & running fast enough to keep my brain going!

ClassAction ~ I am so sorry you were treated so cruelly at such a vulnerable point in your life. Shame on them!

I went through the same thing after my accident. Even my BEST friend, who I had known for 12+ years, dumped me. She had distanced herself from me a bit prior to the accident, but it got worse after the accident, and then she just blew up and I haven’t spoken to her since. That was the worst one, but it certainly happened with others as well. It can be very hard to stay positive when that kind of thing happens.

So I feel for you. If you ever need to vent or what have you, feel free to PM me. Because I can relate.

One thing I will say though is to not blame every person that goes on your health issues. Sometimes it’s not about that, though it is very easy to think it is. The farther out my injury has gotten, the more I’m starting to see that some people who have gone have done so for reasons not relating to my accident. Of course, I am better than I was, but I do still have limitations like no driving. Sometimes though, people do get busy and life happens. Just a little trap to watch out for.

But for the ones who do bail due to the disability, it sure does suck a big one :*(

It’s very sad, but I would consider it a blessing in disguise–the friends who aren’t there for you in thick and thin aren’t really your real friends anyway, so best to be relieved of them now.

I’ve been lucky I guess, I haven’t had anyone dump me b/c of my chronic pain issues, but I never had many friends to begin with. I do have a very hard time meeting new people or dating. I don’t want to deal with my day to day crap, and have a hard time expecting anyone else to deal with it. The dilemma comes up too that I look “normal” - so when do you let some one know that they are dating House (w/o the vicoden)?

You need a better class of friends. There are real friends out there, so keep yourself open to meeting them.
I’ve had 5 friends with brain cancer (3 died) and one friend paralyzed from c-11 down from an auto accident and one friend paralyzed from c-4 down from a gunshot and one friend who is in a wheelchair from spinal myelia (sp), and all of them had/have a core group of people who numbered from 2 to 4, who have stayed the course. Only one of them was injured in a wreck before I met her. The others were all friends of mine before they got sick/hurt.
I do admit that one time I was driving home 2 of these friends from work when the guys disagreed on which way I should go in rush hour Atlanta traffic, and I did think about just getting out of my Cherokee and leaving. But I stayed the course.
I like the western tee shirt that says: A good friend is someone who comes and bails you out of jail. A real friend is someone who is sitting there beside you and says “Damn, that was fun!”:lol:
So get out if you can, and expose yourself to new people. Not everyone is totally self-absorbed.

I’m sorry to hear you go through this. Some people really are twits. Others honestly don’t know how to “fix” it. They just want the problem to go away and don’t understand that they can’t “fix” it, they just need to be there.
I think a similar thing happens with the grief process - doesn’t matter if it’s husband/father/mother or even a beloved animal.
You’re just supposed to “get over it”. Sorry it just doesn’t work that way.

[QUOTE=JGHIRETIRE;5363331]
…Others honestly don’t know how to “fix” it. They just want the problem to go away and don’t understand that they can’t “fix” it, they just need to be there…[/QUOTE]

That was HUGE for me. Since my issues after my accident were all cognitive, everyone thought they had the answer to fix me. And when I told them that whatever idea they had either hadn’t worked in the past, or that insomnia due to brain injury is more complicated than just making yourself fall asleep, or that going out to crowded places on a daily basis, with the hope that eventually i would get used to noise and commotion, sounded like torture, or that I really was trying to pay attention but just couldn’t… I got tons of grief from everyone for not just being normal again already.

And it was very hurtful too that so many people kept trying to fix me. At first, yeah it made sense. But after 6 months, or a year, or whatever, it just makes you feel like you’re no longer good enough how you are. I started to feel like I should be ashamed of my issues, and that everyone thought I was just making things up. Because if it were that simple to “fix”, then nothing was really wrong with me, right? And since I couldn’t manage to fix it, then I must just want to be “damaged”.

So anyway, long story short, some people just don’t know how to cope with various disabilities, and it sucks to have people make you feel so crappy when they think they are just trying to help. So try not to allow it to make you feel bad about yourself. Just because you can’t do some things as well as you used to, that doesn’t mean you’re somehow not good enough anymore. I’ve found that for me, in losing some abilities, I’ve gained others. So you’re not better or worse than you were, just different.

Just remember, friendship is a two way street. You have to offer something the other person wants, needs or enjoys. They have no duty to be your friend, they don’t owe you their friendship or time…no matter how much you may want or need it.

We don’t owe anyone anything except for a few things…parents with children (and not children to parents), husband and wife. Other than that, if someone doesn’t want to be in your life, it’s fine and nobody’s business but their own.

Sure it’s disappointing to find out people you thought were friends were actually acquaintences…but, if that’s the level of interaction they desire, that’s all you have and you can’t demand more.

I’ve had friends I no longer have anything to do with…too much whining, it was always about them and never about anyone else, they didn’t care about other people, only themselves. They expected (demanded really) everyone drive them everywhere whenver they wished to go. They had money but didn’t want to spend it on a taxi. They didn’t appreciate the effort it took to cater to their whims. After 3 months, people finally put their foot down and said, “No, sorry, can’t drive you today”. Very quickly he found a guy to drive him who needed a few extra bucks for the next 3 months he couldn’t drive himself. Again, who needs that abuse.

Well said. I don’t have time to listen to someone whine about every blessed thing. And i don’t expect my friends to listen to me whine about my issues. I ask my friends for help when I need it but I try to give back in return. Its like I don’t ask my friends to feed my horses when I’m out of town because I can’t return the favor. In a pinch sure but not on a regular basis. I have a friend who comes over and helps me drive on a regular basis, but she is a beginning driver and what she gets from me is instruction. And we get to visit and chat along the way. And my friends from long ago and far away are still that irregardless of my disability. We have grown apart sure because our interests have diverged.

So stop thinking about the past friends and start thinking about makeing new friends. Join groups that interest you and you will find friends with similar interests once again.

Just my thoughts
Diane

I think there are so many aspects to this…

Some people simply are fair weather friends only. You have to learn to enjoy them when times are good.

Some people truly have limited time and energy and their friendship may feel cyclical. Sometimes carefully listening to what they say can reveal this, if it’s feast or famine and they mention being terribly busy and then having free time, it may be that literal. My life tends to run that way. Some people cannot deal with it.

Some people, if you are trying to be upbeat and perky but really do not feel that way, will sense a incongruity and pull away. Sometimes it is better to say look, I need to whine for five minutes, is that ok? And then you both move on and it’s all good. I have a friend who also has chronic pain and we do this.

Just some thoughts on friendships.

[QUOTE=Hampton Bay;5370312]
That was HUGE for me. Since my issues after my accident were all cognitive, everyone thought they had the answer to fix me. And when I told them that whatever idea they had either hadn’t worked in the past, or that insomnia due to brain injury is more complicated than just making yourself fall asleep, or that going out to crowded places on a daily basis, with the hope that eventually i would get used to noise and commotion, sounded like torture, or that I really was trying to pay attention but just couldn’t… I got tons of grief from everyone for not just being normal again already.

And it was very hurtful too that so many people kept trying to fix me. At first, yeah it made sense. But after 6 months, or a year, or whatever, it just makes you feel like you’re no longer good enough how you are. I started to feel like I should be ashamed of my issues, and that everyone thought I was just making things up. Because if it were that simple to “fix”, then nothing was really wrong with me, right? And since I couldn’t manage to fix it, then I must just want to be “damaged”.

So anyway, long story short, some people just don’t know how to cope with various disabilities, and it sucks to have people make you feel so crappy when they think they are just trying to help. So try not to allow it to make you feel bad about yourself. Just because you can’t do some things as well as you used to, that doesn’t mean you’re somehow not good enough anymore. I’ve found that for me, in losing some abilities, I’ve gained others. So you’re not better or worse than you were, just different.[/QUOTE]

I am in this process right now. Since my brain injury was four months ago, people are starting to wonder when I will “just be normal again”…sorry, doesn’t work that way. Even after I did my neuropsych evaluation not too long ago and had the proof in hand of cognitive disability, some people will still say “well if you did this, I bet it would fix the problem.” I’ve had several people say things to the effect of “coping strategies” being the ultimate fix - I just need to build new neural pathways, don’t you know! That will fix everything! They don’t understand that it will always be a disability - just because there are new pathways to get the job done does not mean that the disability is gone. It’s like pretending someone who can’t walk is no longer disabled because they use a wheelchair. Yeah, the wheelchair “gets the job done” of helping that person move from place to place, but no one would say that person is no longer disabled, just because their coping strategy (the wheelchair) gets the job done.

And I have similar problems with my physical issues. Yes, I’m a high-performance triathlete and I ride and jump without dispensations, but that does not make my hemiparesis, chronic spine issues, or seizures any less real. It just means that I’m blessed enough to have overcome them to a point where they are not visible to others except under certain circumstances, such as those last miles of a long run or a particularly difficult mare tantrum - it’s hard not to let the right side hang and be useless then :yes: But people see me fly through life at a million miles per hour and they just assume that I’m not disabled - indeed, that I’m super-abled. I don’t mind this, really, but when I do decide to disclose my disability to someone, it would be nice if they could just accept me at my word and not think that I’m claiming a disability for attention or any sort of benefit…honestly! Do these people think that I WANT to be disabled? Do they think I enjoy it? Do they think there is anything in this world I wouldn’t give to have my old life back?

I think the root of the whole issue here is lack of education of the public. There is still so little that is widely understood about different types of conditions and disabilities that people just don’t know how to act. And when people don’t know what to do, they are afraid. And then they distance themselves from the situation back into their comfort zone.

I’m fortunate to have a few very good friends who have stuck with me through everything and a couple new ones who just accept me for who I am. These people give me so much that there are times when I just have to tell myself that they need a break from my situation, so I try to give back to them as much as I can - listening to their problems, trying to help them…being there for them as they’re there for me. The others have either left, or we just don’t talk about my situation. I try to minimize contact with these people because pretending I am normal just doesn’t work very well. My parents have been awesome through the whole thing as well as my brother and his wife. The rest of my family still doesn’t know/understand and just sees me as a slightly more quirky/eccentric version of my old self. The time will come though to disclose to them the full truth, and we will see if they accept or dump me out of their lives.

But for now, if my life had only those people who are closest to me, I would still be happy. I don’t need the others.

I have not read all of the replies, but I wanted to offer you some perspective.

Some people do care and want to be there for you, but don’t know how or what you need. I know people in my family as well as my friends have varied in their reactions to medical issues. Some wanted to hang out and watch movies, some wanted to talk about it, some wanted to ignore it, some intentionally sequestered themselves.

I am not assuming anything about you in the above paragraph, but if these friends have been around for a while, maybe have a heart to heart about it if you get the chance and it is worth it to you. They might hear “relapse” and think “I need to give her her space and time to rest and heal.”

I know you have left voicemails, but it’s just something to think about. Luckily for me I am the kind of person who just asks, “What do you need from me? Are you up to hanging out? Can I bring dinner over? Or if you want to relax at home that’s totally cool too. Just let me know what you need.”

That usually works out OK. A lot of people can’t ask that though.

Again, I am not saying this is your situation, but I thought it might help. I am very sorry you are feeling abandoned and I know how painful that is. Best of luck to you and I hope your friends surprise you in a positive way, and if not, I know you will find others who will be there rain or shine. <3

I get sick and tired of people who judge based on how you look on the outside. People see an ordinary looking young woman when they look at me so they assume that I am just that. I had a serious neurological condition at the age of 15 and have been recovering ever since. Paralysis that took ages to go away, bell’s palsy like symptoms, nerve damage, very limited physical strength, balance issues, easy fatigue, low stamina, ticking in the nerves as they regenerate, mixing up words when I speak and having slight speaking issues, etc.

Many people assume that if you have no outward signs of being ill that you are not. If you say that you are then most likely you are fibbing. It gets tiresome.

True friends will keep you close to heart and treat you like solid gold as you will them. It is never hard to differentiate a true friend from one who will phase out just as quickly as they phased into your life. Through horses I have met or have been introduced to some of the best people I have ever known and ever will know. They are also what brought me out of the illness that I had although some symptoms will always be there. There are people who love you out there that help to keep you going throughout the fight. Obstacles are meant to be temporary.