Have you been dumped by friends because of your disability?

I’m lucky, as I go into remission. A few of my friends stick by me through thick and thin, but it seems as though many people see friendship as a commodity that can be disposed of when things aren’t smooth and lovely. I don’t know why it even hurts me. It has happened for most of my life. When I have a relapse, people slowly forget I exist. I feel as though I can only leave so many unanswered voicemails, texts, and emails. I certainly have no desire to be a stalker.

Am I the only one this happens to? I try to tell myself the person/people weren’t true friends, so it doesn’t matter. It still hurts. How do you handle this?

Just so you don’t think I push people away, I have quite a few friends with whom I speak several times per week. I try to avoid what I’m going through in our conversations. I try to keep the focus off of me, though I do listen to all the details about their young children.

My mother said to me last night, “Well, I think people grow tired of the whole one thing after another with you.” I cannot help the fact that I go into relapses!

I was in remission until a teenager ran me off the road when attempting to pass me on a double yellow. I spent 6 days in the hospital. After nearly 5 months, I’m still in a relapse. It could have been anyone. I did not bring this upon myself. It just happened.

I just feel betrayed and hurt. Sometimes, I feel like confronting these people. These are people who had my shoulder to cry on and my support through tough times. I’ve decided I have bigger battles to fight, but it hurts. I guess these people aren’t worth it.

If this happens or has happened to you, how do you deal with it? Do you just let it go? I just hate feeling like someone cares about me and then have them dump me.

I don’t have a disability so I can’t answer to that aspect of your question but wanted to point out the obvious. The people who abandon you were not your friend in the first place. Sometimes it takes great adversity to find out who your true friend are. Quality vs Quantity. Cherish the ones you have and be glad the fakers are out of your life.

You are right - they’re not true friends if they abandon you, but that doesn’t make it hurt any less. When you need friends the most (when you are going through something difficult/a relapse), they leave. And it would hurt.

I think some people cannot deal well with illness. I watched it when my mom’s ALS progressed. Some of her friends still came around, and I loved them for it. Some just couldn’t cope. And that broke my heart for my mom.

I don’t have the same problem you do - my problem (vision) is a constant issue. So I don’t think it makes me lose friends, but it makes it harder to make them. People don’t want to always be the ones driving to see you, picking you up to take you places, etc. when you cannot drive. Even friends who start out wanting to help end up dropping out really quickly (for instance, I had a friend who made the offer she would take me to the barn once/week when she found out i couldn’t drive myself there. We set up a specific day/time, and I always made myself meet it. After a month, she started calling and canceling a couple of times a month and eventually she just stopped helping at all).

hugs I wish I could help/wish I was closer…

JINGLES FOR YOU ~

Jingles for you ~ while I agree the ones who are just “fair weather” friends are not worth your friendship
~ still hurts.

So… first Jingles for you and invitation to vent or sound off in my direction ~

I know how it feels in just a small way ` recovering from some surgery… when one is not “out and about” others tend to not “include” :eek: and that is when one is reminded how important FAMILY IS :yes: & and those friends who do stick around…:yes::cool::D.

So Jingles for a good day for you ~ some SUNSHINE .
Hug your animals and cherish your family ~
Thinking of you and wishing you some peace and comfort …during this struggle ~
J*ngles & AO ~ Always Optimistic !

While I don’t have a disability, I wanted to say you are not alone. The friends we have that stick with us through everything and are available are rare and to be cherished.

Could some of what you’re experiencing could be life-stage related? I don’t have kids but most of my friends have young children. No matter how many messages I leave, they just are too overwhelmed to call back. I hope to see them regularly again in 10 years.

Often people are not making conscious decisions,lives are driven by self absorbtion or convenience. It’s not right or less hurtful. But its not personal either.

Thanks for the support

Some of my friends with little ones have stuck it out. I think they enjoy talking to an adult who thinks about more than playdates and diaper coupons. They went AWOL for a little while, but came back :slight_smile:

I think some people just want life to be full of fun. I try to be cheerful and bubbly, but on certain days, it just isn’t possible!

I’m very fortunate to have the most supportive parents anyone could imagine & “pseudo parents” who are equally supportive. They’re stuck with me :winkgrin: I really do have a lot to be thankful for.

Sometimes it is just difficult to comprehend why someone who promised to stand by you, having full knowledge of your issues, vanishes when you need them most!

This is why horses are so great. They don’t care if you can walk or talk or ride or whatever. You have a treat, you give them access t grass, they are your friends for life.

Part of the issue may be that the same problems that afflict you are not things to which they can relate. They don’t understand what it is like to have to rely on others, where just getting on a horse, for example, requires a lot of forethought and planning and effort, and they may even feel guilty that it is not them.

And then there are the ones who just don’t have this kind of empathy in their radar, period, because if you are not in some way giving something to them, then you are not “worthy.”

Hopefully the weather improves so you can spend more time with the horse friends that are there for you through thick and thin.

While I don’t have a disability, I can relate to the feelings you have. I have been laid up for extended periods twice (once for 3 months after a back fusion and once for months after breaking my hip) and discovered that some people that I thought of as my closest friends pretty much acted as if I weren’t alive. One had been my daily walking buddy (and next door neighbor) and, by the time I had recovered sufficiently to do our 30 minutes of brisk walking again, she informed me that her “schedule” was just too uncertain to walk with me anymore. She had taken to wearing headphones listening to inspirational tapes and, I guess, preferred their company to mine! Sometimes we would pass while out on our (individual) walks and it would sting and hurt me every time. It still hurts even years later. I also found that after moving to a new area only a few friends have stayed in touch. I have sent “chatty” update e-mails and made a couple of phone calls to a friend I have known for years and while she seems pleased to hear from me, never calls or e-mails back (other than sending out funny things to a large group of e-mail contacts). So I guess that the “friendship” was much more important to me that it was to her. True friends that will stick with you through thick and thin are rare indeed and to be treasured.

I got dumped. My first semester in college was great, then I took the second one off to get my diagnosis and begin treatment. All of a sudden, I had no “friends.” I got a call in the hospital saying they wouldn’t room with me in the fall etc. etc.

So I got new friends. Wasn’t easy by any stretch of the imagination but it was a lot better with people I knew actually cared about me. Though the first go-around made me a bit cautious telling my new friends. I’ve now developed (I think) a radar for people to tell and who will be supportive and those who will not be supportive or will go gossip and giggle.

Jingles for all ~~~ Surround yourselves with “NICE”

Jingles for ALL ~ surround yourselves with “NICE” EVERYTHING NICE ~~

SUNSHINE GREAT MUSIC

GOOD / TRUE FRIENDS [/B] [B][/B] [B]AND YOUR FAMILIES

JINGLES FOR A GOOD WEEKEND `

ZuZu ~ you are the sweetest!!!

I’m not glad others have had to face what I have had to face, but it does make me feel more normal. I know it sounds pathetic, but I’m being honest.

I really cannot comprehend how people can throw their friends away like trash. Maybe I just don’t notice how often this occurs when I’m in my “normal” life, although normal for me is still showing symptoms, just not to the same extent. Maybe I just attract the wrong type of people.

Since last Feb. ~ what has happened ?

What has happened since last Feb – you sounded so very “well” and supported at that time… ?

pm if not comfortable explaining here ~
Jingles continue for you and your health and heart and spirit ~

At that time, I was well supported. Sadly, some who played an important role in my support system have revamped their lives and just moved on. Heck, I’ve even lost my neurologist!

I was doing wonderfully until the car accident caused another relapse. I’m not getting better as quickly as I did after my last relapse. Maybe two relapses so close together are a bit much for some to handle. It definitely isn’t the way I wanted things to go :no:

I do have a fantastic trainer who will make a spot for me as soon as I am ready to start riding again. I guess I have to forget about the toxic people and look forward to starting back in lessons when my body gives the okay.

I had several friends including one I considered a really close friend who dumped me when I got sick. I also had people come out of the woodwork to help me tremendously. The one very good friend can not handle bad stuff. She has a lot of really bad family stuff, so I guess that is why.
I was very hurt and won’t have anything to do with those people, except the good friend. I still want to be friends with her, but she feels awkward now.
She is the only one I still talk to, the others who dropped me showed what kind of people they really were.
Life sucks, sometimes, and losing friends like this is crappy.
Sorry.
I made friends though here that helped me that I still keep up with.
Hugs to you.

You are so not alone. People just don’t want to deal with the crappy parts of life. It is immature, unfeeling, obnoxious etc, but it its the way it works. Has happened to me, and now to my husband. Those type of people are just not worth getting worked up about. I know its hard, but new, better friends will be found. Hugs to you!

Everyone here has pretty much said it. I’m going through the same thing right now. Some people just can’t handle it. I’m figuring out which ones those are - and ironically, one of them is a very close friend who went through a TBI too several years ago…but she can’t handle mine. For those that don’t want to hear about it or know about it, things stay on the down low as much as possible. Eventually they may fall out of my life altogether. Oh well. But from this whole thing ive got some great friends who have really stepped up and done more for me than I could have asked…when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

SUNDAY JINGLES ~

SUNDAY JINGLES HUG YOUR ANIMALS ANIMALS NEVER LET YOU DOWN ~ :cool::smiley:

Long ago and far away in the land before time, my Mom told me half the people in the world will like you and the other half won’t. Stick with the ones who do like you and dust off the others from your life.
True friends are like diamonds. You only get a few in your lifetime.
But keep your interchange on the light side and don’t concentrate on your problems.
I learned the hard way after whining about my lot in life until I drove away one of my dear friends.
Being a friend is a good way to have friends.
Some might not have the same interests as you have but show interest in what they like and what they like to do.
I have learned some very interesting things from some of my friends. I can’t knit or crochet. But some of my friends are artists at both. I tell them so too.
In giving friendship it always returns to you. Sometimes not in a way you expect.
You will find your problems will not be so hard to deal with when you do good to others.
We are all in the same boat. Problems aren’t getting any easier to deal with.
When I see what some of my friends have to deal with, my problems don’t seem to be so big after all.
I do wish you well. I hope you recover soon from your infirmity.
Kind regards,

sadlmakr

Sort of. My late husband was deaf. I had a friend who stopped going out in public with me when I started dating LH, because she couldn’t handle the “spectacle” we made of ourselves by communicating in sign language.:rolleyes: What a shallow little twit, no?:lol:

I think I’m in the process of doing the opposite!

I have a friend who is the original Negative Nell. Can snatch defeat right out of the jaws of victory, as my Dad likes to say.

It was getting on my nerves, so I decided every time she said something negative, I’d think of something positive to say in return. Oddly enough, she’s stopped calling me!:smiley:

It is a matter of life that most people will drift in and out of yours. It is not just during trying times or because of a disability. Many people will just drift out. You are probably more cognizant of it because you are sensitive about your disability.

A wise person once told me that in your entire life, you will only have 3 true friends.

So, instead of worrying about the people that have wandered out of your life, count the ones that have not and count your blessings.