Unlimited access >

Having a hard time deciding between two horses

I’m shopping for my first horse and have two candidates I’m considering for PPEs. However, they are very different rides. One is a 10y/o azteca gelding, the other is an 8y/o OTTB mare. Asking for outside perspectives here because I am sure I am not the first person feel this conflicted.

The gelding is a hony, 15hh, and currently owned by a tween who is no longer enjoying him. Parents are looking to sell and get her something more suitable. He was advertised as forward and not for a beginner, but was actually maybe a little behind the leg, just more the type to speed off inverted if he took offense to something. He seems really agreeable with the right motivation. I think he could make a good low-level dressage and jumper horse, or just a generally fun, safe trail horse. He’s barefoot, 24hr turned out, currently jumping x-rails. He is a very similar ride to my lease horse, so I feel comfortable with the idea of him.

The green OTTB mare is almost a war horse (40+ starts), 16.1hh, and very athletic with smooth gaits for a TB. She was purchased for a WB breeding program, sat in a field for a couple months, and then ended up being restarted by an eventing trainer with a NH background. Idk why the breeder didn’t keep her, I only happen to know about it by stalking her on FB. She’s only been in re-training for 5 months. She’s a little slab sided and anxious but will hold herself in balance at trot and canter without rein contact. She’s in front shoes, has puffy fetlocks that I’m told are just cosmetic, and also in pasture 24/7, which is what I would be doing at my barn.

When I look back at the videos from the trials, it’s hard not to want the OTTB because she makes me look like such a better rider. She’s forward, straight, and balanced, and it makes me look straight and balanced. She’s pretty and sporty. However, I didn’t feel as confident on her. When I think about all the fun things I do with my lease horse, I realized I might never have the courage to do that on the OTTB. I could be just a few bad experiences away from being afraid to ride her out of the arena, potentially even apprehensive about riding her without a trainer on the ground. I tried to picture riding her in a ring with twenty other horses in a flat class, and my stomach dropped. She seemed really emotional and eager to connect with a rider—kind of a typical mare—but also potentially volatile, and just green to the types of things I would want her to do.

On the other hand, I like the idea of a safe, straightforward horse I could easily offer for lease if I need to take some time off riding (ie, to have children, though still not sure I want them). Barefoot and sound is also much more appealing than tall, thin, heavily raced and shoed.

I feel like I am at a crossroads between getting a challenging horse with more athletic potential, or getting a horse that’s more practical for me right now. I like both horses a lot and can see myself doing well with both of them, but with the TB I see a range of higher highs and lower lows. WWYD, if it were your first horse?

Reading your post I get the feeling you’d rather have the gelding. If it was me picking, I’d get the horse I felt comfortable with right now and enjoy him from the get go.

17 Likes

When I returned to riding as a middle aged adult, I rode some older TB in lessons and loved the feel. When it came time to look at getting my own horse, I realized that OTTB were the deal of the century around here. We are in proximity to a second teir racetrack, and you could get the most gorgeous athletic classy horses for basically nothing. And I decided against it. I just didn’t feel I could handle the TB nerves etc.

When I was a kid in charge of picking out my own horse, I bought the first horse I felt secure and in control on, and I had so much fun, I never regretted it. She actually turned out to be forward and zippy, we bombed around everywhere, but she always listened to me.

When I ended up taking on a free lease horse as my permanent horse as an adult, I recognized that though she was green, I always felt completely safe on her ftom day one. She did develop some bad behavior with me, that I solved, but even then she never scared me.

So for me, that feeling of being completely at home on a horse is priceless. However, the tradeoff is that I havent done much competition. But honestly when folks buy too much horse they don’t do much competition either.

I would add that sometimes especially for beginner riders, it seems like all the “challenge” is in taming the wild beast, riding a dangerous horse.

But actually the aim is to make them all safe and obedient. And it is only then that the real work begins of actually teaching the horse things and training it.

I also happen to love both QH and Andalusians, and think that the Azteca can be a wonderful cross that can have all the athleticism and speed you will ever need.

10 Likes

This is your first horse. Get the one that you are most likely to gain/keep confidence on. There will always be a ‘step up’ horse when you are ready.

9 Likes

You should make a list of all the things you want to do with your new horse, and choose the one that is most likely to meet those goals. Since it sounds like your goals are more about learning and enjoying a variety of activities rather than competing in a certain discipline or at a certain level, the first is likely the better fit.

1 Like

Owning your first horse is a steep learning curve so make it as easy as possible by finding a horse with whom you feel comfortable happy and confident. There is always time for a more challenging one in the future. My vote is also for #1.

Get the horse that suits you now. The one you feel more comfortable with. I have never taken a break from riding but I can tell you that while the mare may be a bit more flashy, vibrant and eye catching all that flies out the window if you are afraid to do anything with her.

A horse you can ride daily, is sound and steady and enjoyable is worth a million. I would choose the gelding.

2 Likes

A horse that is a known quantity now is worth all the ones that may some day become your ideal horse, because they may also turn out to be a mistake if they hurt your confidence as a rider.

A nice horse that instills confidence sells itself, if you later have to lease or sell.
Unlike a horse with quirks that you love anyway, but someone else that will would be hard to find.

Are you sure you are weighing in on who those two horses are?
What does a friend/confidant/trainer think?

1 Like

I vote for the gelding! A good soul with all-around skills that you feel safe on is priceless as a first horse, and as another poster said, is easy to lease or sell if you want to ‘step up’ in a few years.

I have seen so, so many riders buy the ‘aspirational’ horse and have their confidence destroyed. I think your intuition is telling you that the mare isn’t a good fit for you right now.

5 Likes

I wish my trainer were pushing me one way or the other, but in some ways she is reinforcing my indecision. She said I never looked better than on the TB, but then asked if I felt confident on her. With the Azteca, she said he looks conformationally limited in how far he can go, but with a little elbow grease could become a solid beginner horse to lease out. I’m leaning toward the Azteca because I think he will give me more options down the road. I just wish he were any color but gray!

3 Likes

Go with the gelding and grey horses are da bomb!!

2 Likes

The Azteca gelding. No question. The TB mare is too many moving parts. That puffiness on her fetlocks may well be cosmetic, but is usually indicative of previous injury. (Almost 100% guaranteed considering the length of her racing career.) She’s only been in work for 5 months. Will her legs hold up in the long run? I know a good number of very skilled trainers with extensive experience with OTTB whose reaction to the puff would be, “ohhhhh, uhhhh no. Let’s look elsewhere.” And maybe they’re right & maybe they’re wrong. But their educated guess is more educated than most. And even if they’re off base, their reaction is something to keep in mind; could the puffiness affect future resale or lease value?

Plus, she is just a very green horse. You would need to budget in training rides with a pro. And you still don’t know what you’re going to end up with. What if she turns out to be too much for you to jump, for example? I know so many people who are in a perpetual holding pattern because they can’t do what they want to do on the horse they bought because they bought it on the supposition that getting to where they could do that thing on that horse would be a quick process. And maybe it is true that the horse can indeed do that thing, but only with McLain Ward piloting. Or only for 2 hours after the horse has had body work & his chakras realigned.

Bottom line, get the horse that you can do the thing on now for your first horse.

9 Likes

I love TBs, but I have to vote for the Azteca gelding as well. Feeling confident and safe can’t be undervalued.

2 Likes

I soooo understand what you mean. I just bought my first horse in the fall and she is definitely the safe, all-arounder, more versatile for more activities but conformationally limited option. Sometimes I definitely second guess my decision, but most of the time I’m v happy I picked the one I did!!!

The hardest part for me has honestly been comparing myself to people on social media bc she just doesn’t have very nice gaits and it’s going to take us a lot of work to get to a point that some horses are just naturally at by age 4 :roll_eyes:

but the refreshing part of this has all been that the challenge is NOT in convincing myself to feel confident in getting out and riding my horse every day, which is what it’s been in the past with the more aspirational but fancier rides. Instead the challenge is… every single thing that comes after that!!! Even if a horse is “easy” you will never stop finding things to work on :joy: and first time horse ownership is a huge challenge as well so it’s definitely nice to feel at home and comfortable on this thing you bought.

2 Likes

I would go with the gelding for now, especially as a first horse. It sounds like you know you will have fun and build your confidence on him. You will quickly be able to go out and enjoy shows or other events, and when you are ready to move onto something more green/athletic/challenging you should easily be able to lease him out, sell him, or let him be used for lessons.

2 Likes

In general, I agree with everyone so far that you should get the horse you feel confident on.

I’m going to raise one other issue that you didn’t address. The Azteca’s owner’s parents want to get him/her something “more suitable.” What exactly has been unsuitable about the Azteca? Sometimes in these kinds of situations, it can just be that the rider wants to do something different than what the horse is good at. For example, the rider wants to do jumpers while the horse is happier in the dressage ring or is maxed out at 2’6".

But sometimes, “something more suitable” is a code phrase for “the horse threw her several times, and we’re tired of going to the ER.”

What makes me ask this is that the horse was, as you say, advertised as “forward and not for a beginner.” Often code words as well.

All of my comments may be coming from a suspicious personality. But, I’d suggest that before you do the PPE, find out if you can ride the horse a couple more times. Try doing things that you’d like to do with the horse–see if you can take the horse out on a short trail-ride for example.

Hopefully, everything will go well, and your choice will be confirmed. Good luck!

10 Likes

What i strive for is a bond with my horse. I want a connection above all other things. In my experience, once that is there then everything i ask for they strive to do. So, when acquiring a horse i try to feel the horse and ascertain: Is this someone i can hook into? I know, i’m soooo woo …

1 Like

I’m inclined to agree with Posting Trot, here. I’d want to delve more thoroughly into the background of the Azteca.

I say go for option 3, keep looking. Either one of these is “settling” in my view. The one you can’t live without will pop up soon enough.

2 Likes

Many people have passed up a great horse ( or a potential spouse for that matter) waiting for what they feel is the perfect match/ soul mate/ one they can’t live without. Many times the one you are with is all that and more once you invest time to really have a relationship.

I don’t see where the gelding is “settling for less”. If nothing else he will be a confidence booster and a horse that is easily sold a couple years down the road if OP is ready to move on. The TB not so much.

8 Likes

That ^, plus the OP has said she really likes both very much.
Lucky to have two such horses to pick from, if they truly are that nice to the eyes of the OP.

2 Likes