Unlimited access >

Having doubts about new barn?

Just wondering if anyone had second thoughts about their new barn?

When I switched recently it was because the commute to the old barn was just too far with my job, and didn’t quite offer the training I was looking for. Otherwise it was perfect - great turnout, beautiful facilities, reasonable price.

The new barn checked all the boxes (good turnout, various training possibilities, reasonable travel), but the atmosphere is different - many more people and lots of activity, facilities have what you need but not so beautifully maintained. Also there is a quarantine period of three weeks, which is unusual for my area, and I can’t ride the horse for the first week (this was only told to me after we moved in).

As horses are such routine-oriented creatures, I am considering to shift to another place before he starts to get used to his surroundings and would have to change again.

Did anyone ever have a similar experience and either stuck it out or decided to make a quick move?

I have never heard of something like this before. Quarantine period like the horse is isolated from all the others on the property? Is there a contagious disease outbreak in your area?

4 Likes

I have no quarrel with the quarantine.
Too many owners who don’t vax & a lot of EHV-1 & 3 in neighboring states here.
But I’d ask about the No Riding one.
That’s odd to me.
Is there a printed boarding contract you can check for any other limitations?

14 Likes

The horse is I would say semi-isolated. He is in an outdoor pen with endless hay and can see other horses. I would be okay with that, he seems happy enough. But he has gone from full 6 day training to basic paddock rest. We would be allowed to ride out in the woods, but since we only ever went out with other horses at my old barn, I am not up for that and find it pretty risky tbh.

I think the barn had some sort of outbreak a while ago so they are over-cautious.

I could live with it if I were convinced it is the right barn for us, but just feeling luke warm about the whole thing and wondering if anyone else had that before, and how it turned out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d check quickly and closely observe to learn what the many more people and lots more activity will mean to your opportunities to ride and use the facilities on your personal schedule. If you can’t make that work out, it’s time to move on.

2 Likes

So it’s not so much that they are telling you that you can’t ride the horse for the first week, it’s that you can’t use the arenas or be around the other horses? I don’t know that I think that’s such a bad thing. If they’ve just been through a problem, then I can fully understand it. At least it shows that they give a damn. And just a week isn’t going to affect your training schedule much, I wouldn’t have thought?

Moving isn’t ever much fun. Getting used to a new routine, a new way of doing things, new people. Boarding is always a series of compromises, unfortunately. You’ve just got to decide which ones you are prepared to make.

Is the care good, the horse getting enough to eat? Facilities functional? Staff relatively sane? Once the three weeks are up will you be happy with his living arrangements and the level of care?

LCDR makes a good point about facilities usage.

Do you have lots of other good choices? Is there another barn you can move into right now that you are sure would be better?

Just some questions to ask yourself before you make a hasty decision.

17 Likes

I have been in this exact situation and I left. Find a new place before the end of quarantine. Go with your gut.

3 Likes

A week is no time at all, you can basically pick right back up where you left off. Handwalk out on the trails in the meantime - it’s good for them! The quarantine (since it seems like the horse is well cared for) wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

I wouldn’t move over this, personally. If the facility maintenance is cosmetic, that wouldn’t bother me either. HUGE difference if the arena is a hazard or the fences are coming down.

Boarding is a compromise, always. So rarely do you get good turnout + decent staff + good training + close commute + everything else. If this place looks like it’ll work for your schedule and training goals, and the care looks good for after quarantine, I’d stick it out. Sounds to me like you’re just in the awkward New Barn phase, so unless it’s a huge red flag toxic situation already, I would wait and see (assuming here you don’t already have a perfect second option lined up).

13 Likes

I don’t see the quarantine itself as a red flag, but them not telling you the details until the last minute is.

I don’t know that I’d move over it, but consider it “strike one”.

13 Likes

I’ve boarded at some lovely barns and some dumps. I’ve had the most fun at the dumps. That’s just me.

9 Likes

This is a great suggestion, thanks.

I agree with this, some other important details came out after arrival, even though I asked direct questions…

1 Like

I can understand them being gunshy if they recently had an outbreak… but are they taking your horse’s temperature daily? Cleaning their hands and shoes between your horse and others? Using different equipment for your horse’s area? Do they force anyone who takes their horse off property for a show or a clinic to quarantine for three weeks upon return? If not, it seems like this is more to make themselves feel better than truly to enforce an effective quarantine. Pretty weird of them not to tell you in advance about this requirement. What else are they going to spring on you with no notice?

10 Likes

Unless there are other big concerns that you haven’t mentioned, I think maybe you’re just suffering from a case of buyer’s remorse. As others have mentioned, change is hard and being the new girl can be unsettling.

But that’s not really true, as you later clarified. I don’t think them failing to mention this detail is that big a deal. It is very likely that the person you talked to does not perceive “you can’t ride in the arena” as being equivalent to “you can’t ride.” I understand, because like you, I wouldn’t be comfortable riding out in the woods in a strange place by myself. But many people wouldn’t feel that way.

You obviously picked this place because you thought it was the best option for your situation. Nothing you said would make me rethink that decision at this point. I would wait several months at least. let the new wear off and get used to the surroundings, people, and routine. If at that point you’re still unhappy, then start looking around.

5 Likes

Remember why you chose this barn.

The atmosphere will be different no matter where you go and as long as the facilities ( barn, arena footing, fences) are in good shape and the horses are fed well then I would give it some time.

It will be an adjustment no matter where you go and you are most likely well into the quarantine time?

7 Likes

I board at a little farm that only has the owner’s horses and one other boarder. Our barn owner even quarantines her own new horses for 2+ weeks before mixing into the heard just to be safe, especially if she can’t verify vaccine history directly from a vet.

Preventing an outbreak is far cheaper than a heard of sick horses. Been there, done that, no thanks.

8 Likes

All very helpful perspectives, thanks really a lot for these inputs!

The horse seems content munching his hay and going for walks for the time being, which gives me a chance to check out the day-to-day as well as training situations til the weekend.

6 Likes

I’ve been to barns that do a 2 to 3 week quarantine. It can be rough at first, but moves can be that way. There is going to be a settling in period, and that might be more for the human than the horse :wink: but there’s a light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully all will be swell once your horse is able to integrate.

If you cannot ride, it’s not a bad time to do some groundwork or handwalk on some trails. I’ve learned a lot about my horses from the ground and throughly enjoy our activities whether I’m on their backs or on the ground (willingly, not because I ejected).

3 Likes

I agree, as long as the dumps have nice people and decent care. I’ve been at good dumps (relaxed, fun atmosphere but no indoor, no hot water, no lounge) and bad dumps (sketchy care, lame horses being used in lessons, drunk barn managers). I love the freedom of dumpy places (where nobody expects you to be perfect), but some are truly awful.

5 Likes

No barn is perfect, you’ll just have to decide if you can live with the things that you’ve noticed since moving while enjoying the things you originally moved there for. I personally would give it some time and see how it goes. I wouldn’t rush to try and beat your horse’s settling in period, if you end up having to move again it’ll be ok.

1 Like