Unlimited access >

Hay hoist for loading bales into loft?

I’m in a self-board loft barn. For loading hay bales into the loft, the big delivery trucks bring an electric hay ladder, which works fine. But if you get hay in your own pick-up truck, you basically have to stand on top of the load and heave it up into the loft and have someone catch it. The last few bales are a real pain!

We used to have a pulley rigged up, but the boarder who installed it took it when she moved.

I’m thinking about getting a new pulley rigged up (we’re allowed to make these kind of alterations). I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on:

1. what kind of sling or hook you would use for the hay?

2. has anyone ever used an electric winch in this kind of situation? would it need to be nailed into the loft floor/wall, or could you have one that was taken away for storage when not in use?

It would probably be easier just to get your own elevator, if the barn had somewhere they were willing to store it (I keep mine in the loft).

Hay elevators seem a bit large, and a bit expensive.

http://www.agdealer.com/results/bale-elevator_t158/index.cfm

I didn’t say cost effective, I said easier :lol:

I’m sorry, I don’t have experience with the block and tackle and such, although there is an old one still hung in our loft.

Check out Harbor Freight get an Electric Winch with Wireless Remote Control rated for 2500 # for $89.99 (but sign up for their coupons and think you could 30% or more off on Labor Fay weekend)

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/2500-lb-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61840.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches.html

The only problem we have with our simple pulley and hook is getting the hook out of the strings at the bottom or top so it’s still a two person job. But that’s all it is, an S hook run through the strings and we don’t have a block and tackle to reduce the weight, just a pulley and a cart to run it up the extension ladder or lower it straight down. I’d love to be able to figure out a one person way to do it that wasn’t the toss out of the pick up truck method. DH does that, I just am not able.

In some barns in Europe we had a wood platform we would raise with ropes and a pulley up against the roof, let down to load hay on it and then raise it to unload it on the loft.

We could load a large number of small bales on it, was very handy.

You could maybe make something like that, even just one strong wood pallet lifted up there could handle several bales safely.

Would need to see how much height you have in there to see if you could pull the loaded pallet over to rest on the floor of the loft, if the rope is hung high enough, to make it easier to unload.

Anything under $500 is, to me, pretty cheap for farm equipment! You have to amortize it over the years. Those models will serve you fine. My hay person uses one like those to load my 600 bales into my loft. A pulley would take forever unless it could do a lot of hay at once!!!

I don’t have one but am keeping an eye open because I get charged $40 per cutting. If I found one the right price it would make sense to have my own. Most of the ones around here are the commercial, $5-10k ones. No thanks on that. The personal model would be more than sufficient here.

fordtraktor, I would look around for a used elevator. I bought one about 10 years ago for $300 and it has worked great, with no repairs needed. Of course, I use it once per year.

Yes, I am keeping an eye out for one. A lot of the heavy duty models are very expensive. I just need to find the right one. The light duty ones are about $800 new and I don’t need one so badly that I can’t wait for a good price on one.

[QUOTE=Bluey;8814015]
In some barns in Europe we had a wood platform we would raise with ropes and a pulley up against the roof, let down to load hay on it and then raise it to unload it on the loft.[/QUOTE]
A platform sounds like a much better idea than hooking the bales! Get some 2x4’s and frame it out and cover with plywood if you want, could make it just wide enough to hold two bales or whatever.

[QUOTE=Scribbler;8813600]
Hay elevators seem a bit large, and a bit expensive.

http://www.agdealer.com/results/bale-elevator_t158/index.cfm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I have pretty much the same one. The paint is not as nice. New 1 1/2 hp motor. It had be sitting in a field that I passed for several years. Finally stopped in and asked if they wanted to get rid of it. The tires were good enough to get it back to my farm. Cleaned it up, greased, new motor and used tires. Works like a champ. But I really don’t use it much. I have a bank barn so the hay wagons can be backed in.

Been thinking of putting it up for sale. The one you linked to seems pretty pricey. Mine won’t be priced nearly that high but a lot higher then I was going to price it now that I have seen this one.

Assuming the barn has a ridge pole sticking out a block and tackle set up would be the easiest and cheapest way to go IMO. The pullys can be easily had. Vintage ones can be had on Ebay for under $50. The rope need is cheap. You can also purchase a hay hook or just get a carabiner attached to the rope and slip it through the bale strings.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/block-and-tackle

You want to get a set up that a thick rope can be used. A lot easier on the hands hauling bale after bale.

[QUOTE=clanter;8813754]
Check out Harbor Freight get an Electric Winch with Wireless Remote Control rated for 2500 # for $89.99 (but sign up for their coupons and think you could 30% or more off on Labor Fay weekend)

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/2500-lb-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61840.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches.html[/QUOTE]

This might be a good cheap set up. Just wonder how fast it is. Most winches are geared for pulling strength not speedy retrieval. It is also 12 volts which would make installation problematic.

Having used platform lifts, they can be “interesting” to work with. They are not fast but can carry a good size load up to the 2nd story. They need to be loaded evenly to prevent tipping out the load. I would want a platform big enough to carry several bales to offset the waiting time of load lifting and dropping. Our top pulley ran in and out on the beam to prevent “reaching for the load” to cause a person to fall from the opening.

I have elevators at home to put hay in the barn with. When buying, you need one long enough to have an angle when in use. Too short means elevator won’t reach that upper window or top of hay storage. Elevators won’t work when almost vertical in upright positions. Motor won’t move the bales because it is harder and bales will fall back down on you for double handling or break open on impact.

Our 16ft elevator is quite handy in our smaller barn setups. No wheels means dragging or carrying from place to place. But it fits to be stored under cover. It was used but not hard, cost $300. The 40ft elevator came as “a kit” in pieces and boxes. Husband striaghtened, repaired, reassembled it back to a working machine. Free for taking it away, got all the needed parts with it to make it work, plus motor. No wheels, also a drag-into-place.model, but sure saves a lot of walking while unloading and stacking. Both of these were deals because husband knew elevator owners at the right time.

Buying an elevator is like keeping money in a box. Unless damaged, elevator keeps its value, so you can sell and get what you paid back. You get to use it while you own it, so I think they are a good investment. Protect the motor with a cover in storage, grease gears and chain before use to keep things working smoothly. Having an elevator makes your life easier!!

[QUOTE=gumtree;8814607]
Assuming the barn has a ridge pole sticking out a block and tackle set up would be the easiest and cheapest way to go IMO. The pullys can be easily had. Vintage ones can be had on Ebay for under $50. The rope need is cheap. You can also purchase a hay hook or just get a carabiner attached to the rope and slip it through the bale strings.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/block-and-tackle

You want to get a set up that a thick rope can be used. A lot easier on the hands hauling bale after bale.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we do in fact have a ridge pole sticking out, where the pulley was set up before.

I would expect to be loading no more than 30 or so bales at one time (the limit of my shortbed pickup truck), and I would be able to have help, but just from other middle aged women :). My coach is the one person who can actually throw the bales up from the truck, but she’s very busy, and I’d rather save her time for riding lessons!

I think block and tackle with the right hook at the end is probably what we need.

You could probably even rig up a very sturdy tarp or canvas to put two or three in at a time actually.

Isn’t hiring two guys from the High School football team the easiest/cheapest way to stack hay? :slight_smile:

If that isn’t viable, I have seen folks use a winch on the front of a pick up truck to good effect.

www.extremehowto.com/diy-install-a-winch-on-a-pickup-truck-2/

I have that winch installed in my trailer to load my carriage and it is slow. Which is great for the carriage, but you could read a Stephen King novel in the time it would take to get 30 bales of hay into the loft - you have to unwind the winch every time to get it back down and it’s the same speed up or down.

I’d go with an elevator, block and tackle, or teenagers.