Unlimited access >

Hay prices in PA/NJ/MD/VA area

Thinking of making a combined mini vacation/hay run in the next couple months, and trying to see what hay prices are if it would even be worth it for Timothy, Alfalfa, Orchard, and/or any mix of them. Squares bales. Thanks!

I’m in central NJ. My horses are picky about hay and refuse to eat anything that’s not high quality. I get a VERY nice timothy. The bales are about 75lb apiece. The price, including delivery (and they do the stacking), is $11 per bale. I believe the bales themselves are $10. The guy I go to in a pinch sells a timothy grass mix… $7 for smaller, lighter bales.

I’m in western MD and had a delivery last month and paid $4 delivered for reasonable timothy/orchard mix (though they had lost their color a bit). Straight alfalfa is about $6 a square bale, and i’ve had a heck of a time sourcing it this late (someone from NC came up and bought the entire barn full of my guy’s!)

[QUOTE=ISR;6906881]
I’m in western MD and had a delivery last month and paid $4 delivered for reasonable timothy/orchard mix (though they had lost their color a bit). Straight alfalfa is about $6 a square bale, and i’ve had a heck of a time sourcing it this late (someone from NC came up and bought the entire barn full of my guy’s!)[/QUOTE]

How big are the bales? Sounds like your prices are better than mine.

[QUOTE=harnessphoto;6908013]
How big are the bales? Sounds like your prices are better than mine.[/QUOTE]

Not as big as yours :slight_smile:

Though a few were small (about 10) he sold me 206 and charged for 200 bales on my last delivery. Most were 55 lbs. Hay prices in western/MD, part of WV seem to always be very reasonable. Although i’m an hour from DC, it’s very working class and rural, which seems to drive the price. Friends who are closer to DC by a half hour pay about $8 a bale to the farmers who have less acreage and more boarding barns to bid on their hay. I think it’s about $10 for the non fescue tested hay.

[QUOTE=harnessphoto;6908013]
How big are the bales? Sounds like your prices are better than mine.[/QUOTE]

Not as big as yours :slight_smile:

Though a few were small (about 10) he sold me 206 and charged for 200 bales on my last delivery. Most were 55 lbs. Hay prices in western/MD, part of WV seem to always be very reasonable. Although i’m an hour from DC, it’s very working class and rural, which seems to drive the price. Friends who are closer to DC by a half hour pay about $8 a bale to the farmers who have less acreage and more boarding barns to bid on their hay. I think it’s about $10 for the non fescue tested hay.

In Pa $6 bale timothy/alfafa mix, good size bales.

Just picked up some nice green orchard grass mix hay (2nd cutting) for $5.50 a bale. Horses love it, but has some weeds in it. Bales are 40-50 lb each. Picked up some similar hay, bales maybe a tad lighter but no weeds, for $6 a bale.

Count your blessings! When I was at the barn yesterday, BO was bucking hay, and he said he was very happy to have paid only $14/bale.

Did manage to find a decent orchard/timothy/clover mix for $4 a bale. The bales are about 40#, but that was the bulk price from upstate NY :frowning:

I am in Fairfax County, VA and I have two suppliers of approx. 40 lbs. bales and the cost is $7. I’m envious of the $4 poster.

I am in Fairfax County, VA and I have two suppliers of approx. 40 lbs. bales and the cost is $7. I’m envious of the $4 poster.

In northeastern PA.
1st and 2nd Timothy and orchard grass. 70lb bales for $5.25 a bale. Beautiful hay.

In Shenandoah Valley, VA. There is a hay auction in Dayton where you can sometimes get really good prices. Just google hay auction Dayton VA and you’ll find the info. Good luck!

Alfalfa in Central FL, where I just moved from, is around $18 per bale.

Paying $8 per bale up here is like living in a fantasy world.

Here in Northern Central PA it was a terrible hay year. First too much rain, then it stopped raining mid July, and we have only had 3/4 of an inch since. :cry:

Still, first cutting timothy/alf bales about 50-55 lbs are $4 a bale. Second cutting, which is mostly orchard grass with some timothy, are $5.50 a bale. The trick is to FIND hay for sale.

I live in a big Dairy area, so most alfalfa is used for that, no one wants to make squares anymore. Including me, thank goodness DH has the patience to do so. We barely have enough to cover my horses/boarders this year. No extra to sell.:no:

In Delaware, I’m paying $8 for decent alf/orchard mix and $12 for premium alf/orchard mix. That is delivered/stacked. Bales are approx 65lb