Hay storage

Recently the barn owner where I board installed a professionally made wooden shed (Tuff Shed) to store the baled hay. The shed is approx. 12’ x 14’ and 15-20’ in height with a peaked roof. There are 2-3 slotted type small vents near the roof.
One of the barn workers commented to me that when the weather is very warm, the interior of the shed becomes hot, since there’s no airflow in the shed, and the doors are kept closed.

I always thought stacked baled hay needed adequate ventilation. If there’s no airflow, will it affect the quality of the hay ? Thanks for any input.

It sounds like you are talking about ridge vents. If so it should be fine.

That will depend on your climate. If you are in a climate with low humidity you should be fine. If higher humidity you could have condensation and dew dripping on the hay or just humid air stuck in there and over a long period the hay will be getting musty on the outsides of the bales. Hot dry air is fine.

1 Like

Properly cured hay will be fine.

Wet hay (either not dried enough in the field, or wet from a leaky roof or something) is a risk, even outside of warm temps.

2 Likes

would have been nicer if there had been a second set of doors on the opposite end of the building if for no other reason to access the hay in the back to make rotation of the stored hay easier

With doors on the both ends ventilation would have been easier

A carport structure might have worked much better and possibly much less expensive than an actual enclosed building.

Agree about doors on both sides, however the back of the shed abuts a cinder block wall, so the front doors are the way in and out.

Thanks everyone for your input. Really helpful.