Headache for 9 weeks straight

This may be the wrong section to post in, but I’ll give it a shot here.

I stupidly was sitting in an awkward position sans helmet on my saintly young horse and fell off, landing straight on my back/back of my head when he jumped sideways because the horse beside us threatened to kick at him. It didn’t seem to hurt at all at the time but one week later, I got this severe headache. Most severe/sharp on the left and back of my head, but definite pain ALL the way around. Very intense as soon as I woke up and coming and going in how severe it was throughout the day, most severe with accompanying nausea, and least severe just a dull ache throughout. Sun/light and noise always made it worse, but bright sunlight has always given me a headache so that wasn’t new. Everything was just intensified.

I went to my doctor on day 10 of the headache and he thought it was a migraine and prescribed me two different drugs to take…one that was supposed to relieve inflammation for migraines I believe, and the other was codeine/caffeine/acetaminophen as a last resort. Neither did a thing.

I went to the ER a few days later and apparently my CT scan didn’t shown anything but they gave me no details. Gave me IV morphine for the severe pain at the hospital after another IV pain med didn’t work, but the headache was back a 1/2 hour after morphine was administered. They sent me home with percocet to take 4 times a day and if the headache was still there after 3 days, come back to the ER. They also had me schedule an appointment with a neurologist but the earliest appointment I could get is February 5th.

Well it’s 9 weeks later and the headache is the same. I also feel like I’m having a harder and harder time remembering things…I’ll forget what I literally said 7 seconds before, or immediately forget what someone just said to me. I am typically very sharp and never forget anything, but now I’m forgetting my phone battery chargers at the barn, but I forget that I forget them, or I can’t remember where I placed things.

What does this sound like to you? Post concussive syndrome? I am 20 years old, so age isn’t the issue.

I strongly suggest that you push to get an earlier appointment with the neurologist. Ask them to call you if they have any cancellations or see if there’s someone else in the practice who can see you.

I think you need to go back to the ER. Preferably at trauma center.

With your case history, I am surprised they have not run you thru many Drs until they find what is wrong and have given you some serious relief.

Be the squeaky wheel, something is wrong, they need to get on the ball and find what it is right away, not whenever is convenient for them.:frowning:

[QUOTE=Crown Royal;7384094]
TThey sent me home with percocet to take 4 times a day and if the headache was still there after 3 days, come back to the ER. They also had me schedule an appointment with a neurologist but the earliest appointment I could get is February 5th.

Well it’s 9 weeks later and the headache is the same…[/QUOTE]

GO. TO. THE. EMERGENCY. ROOM.

[QUOTE=Crown Royal;7384094]
They sent me home with percocet to take 4 times a day and if the headache was still there after 3 days, come back to the ER. They also had me schedule an appointment with a neurologist but the earliest appointment I could get is February 5th.

Well it’s 9 weeks later and the headache is the same…[/QUOTE]

GO. TO. THE. EMERGENCY. ROOM.

Go now.

I agree—go back to the emergency room asap!
neuro symptoms should NEVER be ignored—go be a squeaky wheel and get to the bottom of this.

Please update, Crown Royal!

Not to be too flippant, but maybe he or she did not get checked out and died.

She just posted today, so unless she can do it from the beyond, I think not.

Yikes, I’m scared for CR.

Lets keeps this thread at the top in hopes to get an update!

Thank you so much for your concern! I did receive an MRI (without contrast) a couple days ago which the tech concluded as normal but I am still waiting on the doctor’s final report. I have not been admitted to the hospital, even after my second ER visit last Saturday night.

Headaches are still constant but I actually just got a headache within the past half hour that I feel is the WORST. It began in the back of my head (where I had hit it) and is now all over.

I stopped riding just a couple days ago and am trying to keep quiet with as little movement to my head as possible.

My neurologist appointment is this upcoming Wednesday, but I’m not sure what to do in the meantime.

Keep on with keeping quiet- and I hope maybe they have an opening come up sooner for you. Jingles to get some relief from the pain, and I hope an easy solution to the headaches overall.

Call your doctor again. You definitely had a concussion. Concussion is the result of trauma or bruising that may not be picked up on a CAT scan or MRI.

Worst headache ever? Go back to the ER. Good luck!

headache

[QUOTE=Crown Royal;7403702]
Thank you so much for your concern! I did receive an MRI (without contrast) a couple days ago which the tech concluded as normal but I am still waiting on the doctor’s final report. I have not been admitted to the hospital, even after my second ER visit last Saturday night.

Headaches are still constant but I actually just got a headache within the past half hour that I feel is the WORST. It began in the back of my head (where I had hit it) and is now all over.

I stopped riding just a couple days ago and am trying to keep quiet with as little movement to my head as possible.

My neurologist appointment is this upcoming Wednesday, but I’m not sure what to do in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

Please understand I am not a doctor but this is an area that I have done a great deal of research and my degree was in studying nerve and muscle cells.

You sound exactly like someone who has had a TBI (concussion is included in that group.) Keeping quiet,dark room, no noise, no TV, Video, Computer etc, which are all blue light is one of the first things done. Essentially all sensory input that can be diminished is to give the brain an actual rest. IF and only IF the headache then diminishes, you gradually add small bits of things usually 15 on 15 quiet as long as the headache doesn’t come back. Audio like listening to books being read is the first thing that is usually tried. This is called cocoon therapy and is not fully researched as proven yet but it does seem to work. I would definitely follow it until you see the neurologist. Just doing it may give more information so the neurologist can make a better diagnosis.

Yes, it can be weeks, months and rarely longer to fully recover from a TBI. The better you treat your brain the sooner and better it seems to recover.

Going back to ER would not have helped…

I work in an ER and I can tell you that going back to the ED would not have helped. They already did a CT to rule out bleeding on the brain which possibly would have necessitated emergency surgery. If the OP has a concussion, there is nothing the ER physician can do. Neurologist is needed for evaluation and to order an MRI if necessary and to provide follow up care.

OP whatever you do PLEASE do not ride until your concussion symptoms are ALL GONE. Riding right now, even at a walk, is putting yourself at risk for a second concussion, and another concussion coming so soon after the first could lead to severe disability or even death.

[QUOTE=grayarabpony;7413083]
OP whatever you do PLEASE do not ride until your concussion symptoms are ALL GONE. Riding right now, even at a walk, is putting yourself at risk for a second concussion, and another concussion coming so soon after the first could lead to severe disability or even death.[/QUOTE]

A thousand times this. ^^^

Looking forward to an update once you see the neuro. Every rider I know has had a concussion. This could happen to anyone.