Unlimited access >

Heads Up: Keeneland December Digital Sale Offering Musketier & several other stallions

I hope this isn’t construed as advertising. I have no affiliation.

Calumet Farm is consigning several of their less successful TB stallions who have gained a lot of attention from COTHers in the past.

Musketier(GER) is being offered, who has been praised a lot here:
https://www.keenelanddigital.com/sale/265/December-Digital-Sale/entry/10684/Musketier-(GER)

More info:

https://calumetfarm.com/stallions/musketier-ger/

Other stallions being offered include Lentenor (full brother to Barbaro), Grey Swallow(IRE), and Snapy Halo(ARG). All of which have the type of pedigrees often sought in TB sport horses.

These horses will sell for decent money, but likely low enough to be accessible to sport breeders if there happens to be anyone interested.

1 Like

It is no more “advertising” than my earlier post about Calumet selling Lentenor and Musketier at the Keeneland digital auction on the Racing forum. It is news and just an observation of an interesting dispersal by Calumet by us both.

What interests me is why sell at the digital auction rather than the January Horses of All Ages sale?

It could well be interest from abroad, or just expedience.

The auction houses are working to make “digital sales” more convenient due to the COVID situation. Japan has been buying some nice mares from the U.K. online.

No one in their right mind will travel to the U.S. at this point in time , due to the uncontrolled spread of the Corona Virus here, so perhaps putting the horses in the internet sale is best for everyone, especially if Calumet is expecting Japanese or European interest.

It would be fun if a U.S. TB Sport horse breeder would give them a try. Do you think that is likely?

1 Like

Here is the catalog https://keenelanddigital.com/sale/265/December-Digital-Sale

Man, so many lovely ones I wish I could have! Just need a small fortune and a farm and I could start the thoroughbred sport breeding program of my dreams!

I don’t know the motivation to sell them in this sale. I can’t imagine there would be a lot of people wanting to export any of these boys as they have basically flunked out of stallion school despite being supported by literally the wealthiest person in Kentucky.

I imagine all 4 will go for very accessible sport horse prices in the four figure range. But I am often very wrong. These digital sales are even more challenging to predict outcomes than regular in person sales.

I have 2 Musketier fillies (both rising 4 year olds): one just off the track, and one just getting broken. I would love to see him go to a sport home!

2 Likes

Somehow I don’t see Japan being interested in a Dynaformer son, but you never can tell these days. I do think their stallion standards are a little higher.

A failed Dynaformer son.

I don’t think any country with a globally competitive program would be interested, but who knows.

They have all “failed” as far as living up to their sire’s success at stud, haven’t they? In the big picture I mean. Temple City, Point of Entry, Mr.Big are not a roaring success at getting classic or grade1winners, which is what Japan is interested in.

Lentenor appears to have been withdrawn. Color breeders may go nutz, though, as Calumet has entered Risque Remarque.

https://www.keenelanddigital.com/sale/265/December-Digital-Sale

1 Like

I’m not totally surprised that Lentenor was withdrawn.

Sometimes, especially with stallions, cataloging a horse in a sale is done for “advertising” purposes to broker a private deal. The consigner doesn’t have any intention of actually running the horse through the sale, in person or digital.

I hope he has plans to go to Old Friends or similar. Maybe we’ll be told where he’s going.

ETA: I see Snapy Halo and Grey Swallow have also been withdrawn, yet Musketier is still in along with his spotted stablemate.

Looks like both Musketier and RR have been withdrawn now. I really like the look of some of those mares though!