health insurance holding payment of claim from non-riding accident

I just got a notice from my health insurance that they believe the bills from a minor injury that I sustained in Feb could be attributed to someone else (ie. not them!;)). I’m directed to fill out a form assessing if my claim is auto-related (nope), work-related (nope), injury on someone else’s property (um…) or other. Without divulging too many details, it happened at the farm where I board, but it honest to goodness was MY fault/total accident. There should be no liability for BO or HO (horse owner). Anyone have any advice on how to fill this out?

If I check the “injured on someone else’s property” box, I have to provide the someone else’s insurance info. I do have a signed release, but I’m also very aware that insurance companies can get around them. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

this happened to me over 10 years ago at a local schooling show.I hauled over for the day, when getting on in am horse took off like a bronc and I baled lacerating my liver. Insrance sompany sent same form, I had been in ICU and drug induced coma for a week, you can imagine hospital bill$$$$$.$$,
I told them exactly what happened, it was a total accident and sent a copy of our states Equine Liability Act.I also copied thefilled out forms and sent them to farm owner so that they knew exactly what I told Insurance Company, That is was a total accident. I never heard a word again from insurance co or farm owner pertaining to this issue and the hospital bill was paid minus the deductable. I think it is just standard operating porcedure, at least in my case. Good Luck!

Thanks! I hadn’t thought about including a copy of the equine liability law. Great suggestion!

I get those from my insurance company about once a year. They decide to see if someone else can pay for my pre-existing condition from a car wreck years ago. I just send the form back or call them (there’s usually a phone number on it) and explain it to them. I’ve never had any problems with payment from them.

When I got a letter from the insurance company (after ER visit and stitches) and I ignored it. Got a second letter saying I had to fill out the letter.
I ignored the checkboxes and wrote “MY horse stepped on my toe”. That ended it.

I’ve had to fill out two of those. One for when my daughter jumped off the back of my parent’s sofa and broke her arm. Seeing as this was the first time I’d seen such a form, I was really worried that my insurance company would sue my parents! (They didn’t.)

The second time was when my daughter tripped over a flake of hay where we boarded our horses and broke her arm (again!). I didn’t send additional information like the equine liability laws for our state, and our (new) insurance company didn’t go after my barn owner.