Unlimited access >

Healthiest soft food brands for cats?

Order from Chewy.com, it’s so much better for your cat to eat canned food instead of dry.

I really appreciate everyone’s advice and experiences. I knew I’d get some good recommendations from my COTH friends!

Even though I hate the trays I like Sheba for the sickies. It’s a small enough portion so they don’t feel overwhelmed and the texture is such that it seems to dissolve on their tongues so it’s easy to swallow.

I’ve been feeding my cat this, he seems to like it. It was suggested to me for weight gain. I may try the fancy feast as it looks cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT4U75Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just looked up Sheba and while the ingredients don’t bother me, the calorie count is very low. Or maybe I’m confused. It appears one serving is two packets, or roughly 2.7 oz and they recommend feeding 3-4 packets per 5 lb. of body weight. To make it easier, let’s say that amount is too much and go with 6 each day for a 10 lb. cat.

The Weruva I posted above is 57 calories per 3 oz., Sheba chicken pate is 41 calories per serving (2 packets?) and the Chicken Cuts in Gravy is even lower at 33 calories with the protein dropping to 7%. The Amazon price for Weruva is 34 cents per ounce and Sheba is currently 30 cents, on sale. I realize you don’t like FF but just throwing this out for comparison:
10% protein
21 cents per ounce on Amazon (on sale)
99 calories in a 3 oz. can of Classic Chicken Pate

Unless I’m missing something, Sheba appears to be very expensive when you factor in how much needs to be fed.

Yow! You’re right. Hadn’t realized Sheba was such a low cal count. I’ll try the other. Of course trying to get the herd to eat it, well…lol

Canned foods helped my chonker kitty get to a healthy weight and another kitty stop his painful UTI, so good for you, OP!

This vet maintains a spreadsheet with info about commercial canned cat food brands. It’s… eye-opening. https://catinfo.org/commercial-cat-foods/

I have four kitties, so cost has become a definite factor. I rotate several different kinds of Fancy Feast, choosing ones that best meet the criteria the vet laid out in her spreadsheets. Everyone seems happy.

Well, I just fried my brain scrolling through that chart. LOL I’d seen it before but haven’t looked for a new canned food in several years. My guy is fine now but his weight and muscle tone has dropped off in the last year even though I’ve upped his intake. For reference, he used to be plump at 9 pounds but now looks a bit rough at 8.5. (again, he gets raw but it has been hard to source and I like to feed canned in addition) So… not trying to convince anyone of anything but here is a breakdown of the three chicken recipes I mentioned. Worrying about renal failure at his age, I try to watch phosphorous so it looks like FF will be crossed off as more than an emergency backup. I believe the salmon was much better, though.

Protein-Fat-Carbs-Phosphorous-Calories
Fancy Feast: 40-57-3-430-91
Sheba: 42-56-3-236-42
Weruva: 65-32-3-196-56

ETA: The chart had Sheba listed as 42 calories for each container but I think that’s wrong. Otherwise, Sheba wants you to shove 250 calories in your cat every day.

My cats recommend Weruva but go bonkers for Tiki Cat. That brand tends to be low in fat- as in, potentially lower than your cat requires- but the ingredient quality is very good and cat appropriate.

Tiki is my go to for sickies or recovering cats, too–it seems so palatable! So expensive for feeding regularly though :open_mouth:

I scoured that chart again last night looking for another food that added a bit more fat than the Paw Likin’ Chicken, while keeping the other parameters similar, and it turned out to be Weruva’s Chicken Frick A Zee. It’s also cheaper than what I normally buy so I’ll switch to that for my next monthly Amazon order.

I’ve stuck with Weruva for the last 8 or more years because they’ve never changed the recipe, changed ownership or had a recall. I tend to only use chicken or turkey in canned form because my dog is allergic to poultry so I don’t buy it raw and the cat gets a good variety of other proteins there.

https://www.amazon.com/Weruva-Cats-Kitchen-Chicken-Frick/dp/B078STCT9D/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2W6ZBH936MWW8&dchild=1&keywords=weruva%2Bchicken%2Bfrick%2Ba%2Bzee&qid=1612105037&sprefix=weruva%2Bchicken%2Caps%2C335&sr=8-5&th=1

1 Like

FF has about a billion different flavors and each of them are different in their breakdowns, so it’s important (as with all the brands) to check the particulars for the individual flavors. The Roasted Chicken and Roasted Turkey flavors both have Phosphorus under 300 and meet her other recommendations, for example. So that’s where we started.

It’s a pain to look through it all, but it’s worthwhile when you find individual things that will work. I ended up making a copy, sorting it in Excel so I could see which foods met the recommendations, made notes on which were available by mail-order through Amazon or Chewy (I live in the hinterlands), and off we went.

As an aside, we’ve tried the BFF brand, and while three of them liked 3 of the 4 of the flavors in a combo pack just fine, my boy with the sensitive stomach throws up from each of them. He does great on every FF I’ve tried, though. Go figure.

Thankfully, my cat is not pukey and would happily eat vegan hot dogs in banana puree if that’s what I put on his plate. :laughing: I’ve only had one who was picky but it was more that she needed a wide variety so I switched brand/texture/protein between each can and she was fine.

Youtube picked up on the fact I was looking for cat food so now I’m getting suggested videos. This one is pretty comprehensive, including price and a taste test. I’ve tried all but a few at some point.

1 Like

I ran across this a while back and thought it was funny. Both the cat and the idea of vegan cat food. The cat doesn’t look very happy. :laughing:

2 Likes

No he doesn’t look very happy :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have credibility issues with this video.

No cat hair on dark clothing; no marking stains on walls or carpet; potted plants intact; no scratched up hands or obnoxious cats placing their butts in front of the camera. Oh and unbroken glass vase on shelf. Did I miss anything?

6 Likes

Oh wow. I looked that up and they also make dry food with a suspicious looking cat on the bag. Not only are the ingredients the worst ever, but scroll down for the disclaimer.

2 Likes

I’d seen at least one of her videos before about best litter or boxes and can assure you there are scars on those hands! I believe the cats only come in that room for product testing. LOL

1 Like

I was disappointed to see that she did not review Ziwi Peak, which I what I now feed. It was second on her list with an A-.

The youtube channel reviewed Ziwi Peak a couple days ago. I don’t feed any kibble but the dry formula is interesting and I bet my cat would love a few pieces mixed in his canned.