Unlimited access >

Healthiest soft food brands for cats?

I disagree with her pricing of the Ziwi Peak canned food. “So on the low end you might be spending about $5.00 a day…”

I am paying $3.79 (up from $3.49) for a 6.5 oz can. Lamb: 245 calories. Chicken: 245 calories. Beef: 231. Bought it locally. Check the prices on Chewy and Amazon. Don’t know how she is doing her math.

How do you tell the amount of carbs in this beef Ziwi Peak?

Crude protein: 9.0%
Crude fat: 5.5%
Crude fiber: 2.0%
Moisture: 78%
Chondroitin sulfate (min) 300mg/kg

They calculate dry matter and break it down into percentages. This link explains that she called the companies to figure out how much of each was used because labels only give you a min/max for protein and fat, and they don’t typically list carbs.

There appear to be two different versions of Ziwi Peak canned foods. The one with chickpeas will definitely have more carbs and, at 57 cents per oz., still be on the pricier end. The one without is even more expensive but I think she might have used the dry price for them all.

This site may be of benefit:
https://felinecrf.org/what_is_ckd.htm

Although it’s focus is on cats with chronic kidney disease, it includes a wet food chart that includes nutrient information that is not always provided on the can or even manufacturer’s website. The site founder includes the dates of when she last updated the nutrient profiles.

Wet food chart

1 Like

I appreciate everyone’s input and advice. I have a couple brands I’m looking at thanks to the help on this thread. We just recently moved up to TN and are currently living with my Aunt for a few weeks until our house is completed, so figure it is best to avoid changing their diet until we get them settled in our new home. I will let everyone know which I end up settling on! I knew my COTH friends would be of great help!

Thanks for posting that web site. I’ve bookmarked it for the future.

Was poking around in there, and they had a link to a different web page that gave 5 categories of vet clients. Was only able to see the first one, and I am a “demander” client!! I don’t fit all the criteria but most of them.

“The Demander”

"A Demander wants nothing but the best for her pet (who no doubt has a delicate constitution and sees the veterinarian on a regular basis for various issues). The Demander asks the doctor a million questions and often uses more than her allotted appointment time. She’s on a first-name basis with each team member. If she sees a technician at the grocery store, she corners him with questions. She’s been known to call the practice several times a day to give regular reports about her pet’s current state of health.

Although Demanders are, well, demanding, they’re a boon to your practice. The Demander is among your top 20 percent of clients who produce 80 percent of your practice’s business—part of the solid core that allows you to keep your doors open. Compliance is never a problem with The Demander. She recognizes and appreciates the value of the services you provide, and her desire to give her pet the best care is an attitude you should admire. As long as her needs are met, The Demander will be one of your biggest fans and will tell others how wonderful you are.

How do you handle a Demander?

• Don’t let The Demander take control. Some creative management will allow you to meet her needs while managing your associations with her.

• Don’t be rude if you encounter The Demander outside the practice. Assure her it’s great to see her, tell her you want to hear all about her pet, and ask her to call you at the practice.

• Do schedule additional time with the doctor and charge appropriately. Tell The Demander, “We typically schedule 20-minute appointments but would like to offer an extended appointment to make sure that you have enough time with the doctor to get all your questions answered.” If The Demander agrees to this, be sure to mention any additional fees that may apply.

• Do (patiently) answer each and every one of The Demander’s questions. Her intentions are noble.

• Do encourage The Demander to write down questions at home and bring the list when she comes in for her pet’s appointment. This may decrease the number of times she calls your practice with queries, and it reinforces to her your commitment to her pet."

The new internal medicine vet learned quickly to let her resident vets interact with me.

That’s interesting.

I have found that the website that I linked to be a great resource. I first came across it when I was looking for more information to help improve the quality of my geriatric cat’s life.

A big takeaway from the site is that there is disagreement among vets on how to proceed with treating ckd cats…basically you have to make a choice and advocate for what is best for your particular cat. For instance, most of the ‘script foods meet many of their needs, however, it comes at the cost of lowering protein and palatability. This results in the affected cats loosing muscle mass, which is a concern for ckd cats. Therefore, some vets advise foods that are not ckd formulated (yet still have similar profiles) to increase the cat’s food intake. I also learned about a test that gives a MUCH earlier indication of kidney troubles from this site.

Here is more info on the early detection test.

IDEXX site.

This thread has been very helpful. We no longer need zd food so I’m looking at alternatives. Unfortunately she is a dry food-aholic so hoping to find a wet that she will approve of.

Revisiting this thread and quoting myself for an update on Weruva and another food I’ve been using. I messed up the July order from Amazon and got Paw Lickin’ instead of Frick. My poor old guy couldn’t survive between meals and visibly lost weight on half of the 10 ounce can 2X a day. My usual source of raw became problematic months ago and he was doing fine on just 6 ounces of the Frick so the calorie difference was very real.

For variety I’ve been adding a turkey or salmon I found at Whole Foods. The ingredients aren’t bad and it’s $1 for a 5 oz. can. He’s had no complaints about it.