Unlimited access >

Healthy Twins...Again!

Those that have been on the COTH forum for many years might remember the Alvesta Picasso twins that were born back in the late 2000s. This time, it is our Section D Welsh Cob stallion Goldhills Brandysnap who has sired twins. A colt and a filly. Both are doing well and have some unfolding to do yet. Maiden mare is in love with both foals. The filly looks like she will be chestnut with a large star and four white socks. The colt is bay with a small star and one white pastern. Genetics are fascinating!!

21 Likes

Congratulations! Beautiful babies. I love Brandysnap too. I would have considered him for my mare but decided to breed to a closer stallion and not deal with shipping.

1 Like

Congrats!!! Beautiful foals, so glad they are healthy and mom is doing well.

1 Like

Congratulations! It’s wonderful that they are both doing well.

1 Like

Congratulations Daventry! One set of twins is rare and exceptional. Two? Phenomenal. Were you expecting two? They are lovely.

Years ago I had a maiden mare present me with twins. One born at 60 lbs, the other at 40. Both survived, thrived and the experience proved to me that a mare can count to two. If only one foal was by her, she’d be looking for the other. :wink:

Best of luck with them.

2 Likes

What, you’ve never had a horse expect more than ONE treat?!! Mine certainly thinks he’s being robbed if he’s given only one ginger snap… :wink:

@Daventry beautiful babies! Who is the dam, and link to the sire? Love the photo of the filly snoozing in the hay… that’s what it’s for, right? :laughing:

2 Likes

LOVE!!! And look at the moon on the colt’s face :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks beowulf. The dam is a 1/2 Welsh Cob 1/2 Thoroughbred mare by *Llanarth Morien. She’s a maiden so she is getting a crash course in motherhood. The sire is Section D Welsh Cob stallion Goldhills Brandysnap. www.goldhillsbrandysnap.com So the twins are 3/4 Welsh Cob 1/4 Thoroughbred.

The mare owner was definitely not expecting two. After the colt was born, she went to the house to grab the navel dip and came back to find more feet coming out of the mare. It was quite the shock. The mare owner had done her due diligence. A veterinarian who advertises that they specialize in equine reproduction ultrasounded the mare at Day 14, 28 and 60. I question the competency as I find it unacceptable that a repro vet missed seeing the twins on three separate ultrasounds. It potentially put the mare in grave danger. Thankfully, it all worked out.

8 Likes

Now that you mention it, my current ride expects THREE treats after work. I guess he’s a genius!

1 Like

beautful foals. Congrats to all.

1 Like