Unlimited access >

Heel Soreness

Hello, I am the proud owner of a 7 year old Chestnut morgan mare who is really fine in the front. In the two years I have owned and worked her she has never taken a lame step. Last weekend (Sept 8th) we were at a small horse show (we show hunter pleasure W/T/C) and the footing was really deep and when exiting the ring my mare tripped and immediately was very sore. At first I thought she had popped a splint. I brought her home, called the vet and she came out. After doing a block and hoof test she determined that she was heel/collateral sore in her front right hoof. She told me stall rest and 1 gram of bute daily for a week and if she was still sore to call and we could do an x-ray or ultrasound.

I should also disclose that the Wednesday before the show I had put front shoes on her because she wears the insides of her front hooves down because she does this really weird thing where she crosses her legs and leans back, it almost looks like she is stretching her back (this has never interfered with her training or performance and my vet told me its just a weird habit). Anyway! The farrier was only able to get two nails into the inside of the right hoof to hold the shoe on after trying he told me there wasn’t enough “meat” to get a third nail in towards her heel and she might be sore so to soak it. I soaked it twice and she still wasn’t sore until AFTER the trip at the show.

It has been a week and she is still gimpy on that right front. I have worked her lightly in the long lines twice just to see exactly where she is at. It seems she starts out more sore and then with a little warm up it seems to calm down a bit. Still gimping a bit but not nearly as bad as before. I called my farrier yesterday to come and see her foot and see if perhaps he could give me more insight. He reset the shoe and confirmed that she was heel sore - but not due to any “hot nails” or anything of the like. I called my vet yesterday afternoon and left a message with the secretary to call me back and she hasn’t yet. Basically I’m curious as to what others think, she does have a show coming up Sept 22nd which I will scratch if she continues to show signs of lameness. But in the mean time I would like to do all I can to help her with the soreness.

I have been thinking perhaps epsom salt soaks or poultice wraps.

Does anyone have any experience with similar issues?

Please let me know any advice you could provide.

There are all sorts of possibilities from a shifted shoe, to a hot nail that is no more, to corns from the shoe, etc. etc.

Until your vet gets there and can radiograph or ultrasound, you are just shooting in the dark.

Sounds like the shoe or nail is causing the problem- I’d pull the shoes and let her heal barefoot. If she comes sound, in time for the show, just show her barefoot. Good Luck!

I wouldn’t be soaking or poulticing unless I thought the horse had an abscess.

But it sounds as if the horse’s soreness started with the shoeing job, so I would look there first. If you’re brave enough to post photos, that would help. There are many very hoof-savvy posters on this board who could point you in the right direction (but, admittedly, hoof-related threads can get quite heated!).

I talked to my vet this afternoon because I was really concerned about navicular (I have done nothing but research this past week-leading me to WebMD like phobia). Anyhow, she said its probably just a bruise and to let her out in the paddock and give her time off. I’m still concerned, so I will take some photos tomorrow and post them. Thank you everyone for your concern. I really do appreciate the help.

[QUOTE=BridgetteAnn814;7172009]

I should also disclose that the Wednesday before the show I had put front shoes on her because she wears the insides of her front hooves down because she does this really weird thing where she crosses her legs and leans back, it almost looks like she is stretching her back (this has never interfered with her training or performance and my vet told me its just a weird habit).

Does your horse have crooked legs? Was she shod according to her comformation or was she attempted to be straightened out?

I soaked it twice and she still wasn’t sore until AFTER the trip at the show.

Was she worked before the show?

It has been a week and she is still gimpy on that right front. I have worked her lightly in the long lines twice just to see exactly where she is at. It seems she starts out more sore and then with a little warm up it seems to calm down a bit. Still gimping a bit but not nearly as bad as before.

It is possible she does not like the balance she has in the shoes.

I called my farrier yesterday to come and see her foot and see if perhaps he could give me more insight. He reset the shoe and confirmed that she was heel sore - but not due to any “hot nails” or anything of the like.

What heel is sore? Does she have a split heel/thrushy crack between the bulbs?

But in the mean time I would like to do all I can to help her with the soreness.

Try removeing the shoes and see what happens.

Does anyone have any experience with similar issues?

Sometimes when a hoof is trimmed to straighten the landing to what we think it should be but the horse has differant needs, we tend to make them sore. Usually in the tendons, ligaments and and various connective tissues, it could effect the the use of the entire body.

Please let me know any advice you could provide.

Respect the horse’s balance. Make sure she is runnuing on healthy hooves. Good luck.