Unlimited access >

Helgestrand documentary

4 Likes

Will it be available online somewhere?

5 Likes

The court ruled that the tv program could go ahead and run all all footage. Interesting stuff. Helgstrand is going back over the earlier statements: we aren’t responsible for what employees do, we are the biggest player in the market. Blah, blah, blah.

I really want to see it now
Sheilah

5 Likes

I don’t envy the person who got to write this piece for the Chronicle, given the circumstances.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/court-rules-danish-tv-show-can-air-undercover-helgstrand-dressage-videos/?fbclid=IwAR0CYJKAFUtqVQx5ow9qDZ7SnNn9vDmAqWoc12PSSPcLxDRHK4WalMK1yuw

3 Likes

I really want to see it now too.

2 Likes

I wonder if the producer will release it with English subtitles?

1 Like

I’ll sit this one out. I don’t want to watch a video of horses being (allegedly) mistreated, and roughly handled or ridden. AH’s defense wasn’t a denial, but instead it’s that someone secretly filmed their training methods (he’s the victim). Now his statement says they’ve "implemented numerous measures and improvements to our business practices, animal welfare, and the working conditions of our employees. Several of these changes are now industry-leading.”

It’s odd that he doesn’t name any of these industry leading changes. If they truly benefit horses and barn employees, maybe he could share them with everyone.

3 Likes

How old is the video that was secretly filmed? The statement about implementing numerous measures and improvements is standard bullshit. And then calling it industry leading? I’m pretty sure if anyone in the industry had to make such changes it’s because they were afraid of being filmed, not because Helgstrand is a “leader”.

5 Likes

Industry leading measures have been in effect for decades. It’s called ethical training!

3 Likes

The very last sentence of the article states, “Helgstrand set out those changes on its website (https://helgstranddressage.com/info/sustainability/welfare/).” Presumably they didn’t want to quote the whole website in the article. But the website does describe them.

1 Like

The Danes are bi-lingual so there is a good chance it could be in English.

1 Like

It is.

If the changes happened in mid 2022, I’m thinking the person who got the job there to record the video was probably there not long before that.

The series Operation X has not traditionally been in English, nor available in Eng subs. I’m hoping they make an exception.

Thanks.
That’s interesting reading. The new and improved business conduct policies sound reasonable and rather normal; apparently there were a few revisions that needed to be done in that department!

It’s even more odd that those changes were implemented AFTER the news came out. No denial of wrongdoing, but changes had to be made when they were exposed for abuse. How can AH not hear how damning that sounds?

1 Like

He’s deaf to how it sounds because he’s only making changes to avoid more bad publicity, and limit exposure to potential future litigation. Just MHO.

2 Likes