Unlimited access >

Hello out there! How are your seasons going?

We have had a fairly good season. A few VERY strange days with moments of hard going and then … nothing … and then hard going and then trailing or some variation of the described. Many (most) days of hounds doing fabulous work. Working an old line, finding a fresher bit and then full cry and most quarry to ground and a few that pulled a slick one.

Our area has had the 3d wettest year since 1885. This has made keeping up with hounds interesting and difficult and a few canceled hunts or hunts that are on foot. My fingers are crossed that the last few months will be able to continue (Rain and Covid GO AWAY!)

Nowhere. Covid19 rules, no hunting in Lockdown. I have Long Covid so no hunting for me. I really miss seeing hounds.

It’s been a pretty good season and seems to be heating up as we move into January/February. We have only had a few cancellations but have made up for some of them with bye days. It’s had to believe there is only two months left in the season.

The horses have been excellent. My older guy is everything you want in a hunt horse and the young one is really coming around great.

1 Like

Ours has continued as if nearly normal. Outstanding hound work and tons of game. Seriously good season.

3 Likes

When the season opened in mid-September, there was a long time of “rather normal” as the weather was good, the hounds were on more than not --and everything (for me) was going well with now two wonderful sound hunt horses --with two hunters under saddle I was able to meet the occasional guest for double the enjoyment.

The weather turned cold, and then colder. As COVID prevents our club from opening or using the newly remodeled club house at all, after the hunts, or providing meals, members were putting out lawn chairs and balancing coolers and self-made meals on knees and tail gates for a social time after --as the weather became frozen, this was moved from under the ancient oaks at the club, into the hunt stable --dirt floors, 10’ aisles, 30 horses in stalls, riders trying to find spots socially distanced where Dobbin couldn’t share the salad on the lap over the door.

Since December, I’ve hunted 1/2 the hunts --made my 3 hour round trip to partake. I will not attend this week, nor did I last. My difficulty is the cold after the hunt. I’m an old, skinny bird. No matter how I dress, I am shivering in the dark barn. I find it difficult to carry lawn chair, food, and self into the stable (a bit of a walk), balance cold food/drink (due to my drive, hot does not stay hot), and maintain any kind of conversation --to chat, one needs to pull closer (hard to do with a lawn chair and social distancing) or squat in the dirt beside a friend (not on these old gams), or speak so loudly that others are interrupted. As my tolerance for the cold is limited, I only say hello to a few before I am too numb to continue.

At that point, I have to load my horse and drive 1. 5 hours home, in the gloom. Once home, I have feeding to attend, unhook my trailer, then stagger exhausted to the house --a hunting day for me is 5:30 AM - 5:30 PM. Well worth the effort on a brisk fall day or a glorious spring --not so much munching salad in 20 degrees in a dusty barn saying, “What?” every few minutes.

And again, this is more for me who comes from afar --the local hunt folks are doing better, I think --For me personally, with deer season over, my neighbors allow me to ride in their 3000 acres of woods and fields as much as I want —until they plant in the spring. If it is a beautiful day to ride, I can take myself and my horses (usually ride one pony one) and have a forever ride on the other side of our shared gate. No hounds, but no drive and a warm house in proximity!

I suspect I will become a “sometimes” hunter until we are back in the club house --after 56 years of regular hunting, this is a hard decision --but it is feeling more correct for me.

One bright note in my life is soon ahead --a two-day mule ride down the Grand Canyon with another fox hunter at the end of January —on the bucket list for years!

5 Likes

I’m sorry that you had COVID and now have the lasting symptoms. I do hope that they are able to find some way to help you fully recover!

Jingling for a full recovery and FAST like a gone away coyote!

1 Like

I’m so glad to hear that things have been pretty normal for you. I’m hoping the your season continues to be filled with hunting days with steady mounts.

I have been reading the hunt reports on FB along with the ones from Andrews Bridge. I really enjoy reading them and made even better when there are photos of hounds marking to ground or a photo of the quarry for the day.

Hopefully we can have a joint meet next season.

I totally understand the lack of desire to travel for a hunt that is 90 minutes one way. I don’t mind traveling for the odd joint meet that is 2 or so hours away, but I wouldn’t relish doing it every weekend.

I am envious of your acreage to ride. I have permission to ride over several different farms, but one non-resident land owner won’t let me cross to get to the majority of the farms.

Safe travels to and through the Grand Canyon. My step sister and a friend of hers did a week long rafting/camping trip through the Grand Canyon this summer. Her photos were stunning!

I now have a lot of empathy for a horse put on box rest.

What a weird hunt season. Going pretty well, but I don’t attend breakfasts at all and feel super guilty but do I ? I mean, pandemic!
But one good thing in my hunt life is That i have joined a local hunt and have really been enjoying it. Driving only 20 minutes to the hunt, having some great and talented hound work in a more suburban area ( now that’s a certain skill set! Harder in a way than where I usually hunt on hundreds of acres of pasture and woods) and getting to know local people. I am used to driving 2 1/2 hours to the meet And think90 minutes sounds so doable! Lol. My back really hurts after those long hauls, so hunt season is going pretty well, but weird. Only been out 12 times this season so far.

2 Likes