Unlimited access >

Helmet brim repair?

I know we Eventers are diehard DIYers, so I’m seeking advice from anyone who has repaired a cracked helmet brim. My wide brim MIPS helmet is not a year old, but the brim has a 2.5" crescent shaped crack from my SUV tailgate closing on it this summer :frowning: The 1/2" of crack that is closest to the outer edge of the brim is deepest and starting to split, enough to snag on the helmet bag that I store it in. This cosmetic damage bugs me, but replacing an otherwise good helmet for $400+ is hard to swallow. I’m thinking of using a heat gun to either soften the brim so I can super glue it or something. But I’m nervous to experiment…I mean I guess if I totally screw things up I will have to fork over the $$ for a new helmet, but hoping someone else has cracked a brim - not from a fall?

Duct tape?

Can you contact the manufacturer to see what they recommend?

1 Like

I would buy a new helmet. I have a nice (and expensive ER visit) forehead scar from being impaled by my helmet brim that snapped off during a cross country schooling fall. I consider myself lucky, as the sharp broken plastic came very close to involving an eye.

They look dorky to me, but now I am a fan of skull caps with soft cover.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I’m starting to think…

Trim the brim off and use it as a skullcap.

You’ve given me an idea! I have a dremel. Maybe I can shave off the outer 1/2" of the brim and make it a regular vs wide brim!

1 Like

If you’re going to try, I’d use epoxy rather than super glue. Epoxy putty can repair and fill in the crack, then be sanded and painted to match. There are also liquid types that are stronger than super glue.

1 Like