Helmet fit when bald from chemo?

My best friend is going through chemo and she rides with me on my horses when she is feeling up to it. Her hair just fell out and when we rode yesterday, helmet fit on her bald head was a problem. I’d love to hear any tips for dealing with this temporary issue without going out and buying a new helmet. I’m a Pony Club parent and so am well familiar with good helmet fit and adjustment. I’m just stumped at this. We used a thin hat yesterday but it was not great. Any ideas?

A dear friend went through this some years ago. She wore a baseball cap or scarf under the helmet. The scarf seemed to work best. She tied it around her head in a way that left the ends in a “ponytail” hanging down behind, then flipped the ends up over her head under the helmet; this was how she had worn her hair under the helmet before chemo.

Hugs to you and your friend and jingles for full remission with few problems during treatment.

I wore a bandana over my head, fold in a triangle and tie the ends in back, and catch the corner of the triangle in the knot, too, to make it like a cloth cap. Worked fine for me, but my hair was never really long or thick. If the helmet fit before with thick hair, might need a smaller one to use while hairless. But in any event, it will be more comfortable with something underneath. A silky scarf might be too slick and cause the helmet to move around. The bandanas had the added benefit of being easy to wash.

Best of luck to your friend–it’s a bummer to go through, but it is what it is.

Yes, I used a do-rag under my helmet.

I just finished six months of chemo. Cotton bandanas are a godsend. They’re cheap, cool and folded the way Monstrpony described, they helped my helmet fit perfectly. I also like all the fun bandana colors. Even though I’m bald, I try to dress like a fashionista :slight_smile:

Congrats on finishing, Roo!

Yeah, basically a do-rag. Also handy in that you can take your helmet off when you get off the horse, and slip a ball cap on top of the bandana while you finish barn chores or whatever. Covers a bit more than just the ball cap.

Weird suggestion but–sanitary napkins. They absorb sweat, and can be placed for a custom fit.

I found a skull knit cap that had a bandana sewn to it at a store for people going through chemo. It work great and didn’t slip, something that happened when I just used a bandana. This is it! It work great and wasn’t bulky https://www.headcovers.com/bandana-cap-headcovering-cancer-patients/ It was more normal looking than a do-rag. Good luck to your friend.

[QUOTE=jnel;8573642]
I found a skull knit cap that had a bandana sewn to it at a store for people going through chemo. It work great and didn’t slip, something that happened when I just used a bandana. This is it! It work great and wasn’t bulky https://www.headcovers.com/bandana-cap-headcovering-cancer-patients/ It was more normal looking than a do-rag. Good luck to your friend.[/QUOTE]

This is basically what the bandana ends up looking like, though this looks like a possibly better fit. Good suggestion!

Yeah, No. I don’t think so. Having your hair all fallen out, going through chemo, and still soldiering on is quite enough; having sanitary napkins in your helmet is asking a bit much for a cancer patient to be subjected to. A knit hairband, or the cap that jnel identified above will do the trick. While this is a reasonable suggestion, good for a chuckle, for short-term fix to a helmet/head miss-match, just … no. A lot of women crumble under the stress of this experience. Some are strong enough not to let it get in their way, and it takes a good bit of internal strength to do it. That strength deserves utmost respect and support. I know your suggestion was made with the best of intentions, but I’m afraid it really hit a nerve with me in the potential further humiliation department.

If the helmet is really that bad of a fit, splurge on a new one for the duration. Or, I bet any self-respecting tack shop, or even a helmet mfgr, would pony up a couple of spare helmet-fitting strips to see someone through chemotherapy.

For the record, my sister has spent the last year going through chemo and I consulted her on my answer. She HATED do-rags and scarves, and did the pad thing for a hat she loved. I’ve seen several balding men do it, thus the idea. If it makes an individual uncomfortable then of course don’t do it, but just like everything, everyone is an individual.

I also know the OP and the friend in question IRL, so felt comfortable making a practical suggestion. Best wishes to all.

There was a product developed by a woman who is bald due to alopecia. Sort of along the lines of the pads, but not called Headline It.

(Found it): http://headlineit.com/

I’ve been bald more that had hair for the last three years, first from chemo, then just as it was growing back I had to have whole brain radiation. Yes, helmets that fit well with hair tend to be too big when your hair falls out. Not only that, they are cold, itchy and harsh on the head. Anything to take up space and make the helmet more comfortable will work. I like the stretchy cotton head covers best. They are soft, comfortable, washable and come in lots of colors. This winter I found that stocking caps are generally too thick, and in the summer the pressure of the helmet caused my ball cap adjustment to rub. These are what I wear not only under my helmet, but also around the house and to sleep in. Amazing how cold you get with no hair!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NB4GPWE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

[QUOTE=PhoenixFarm;8574633]
For the record, my sister has spent the last year going through chemo and I consulted her on my answer. She HATED do-rags and scarves, and did the pad thing for a hat she loved. I’ve seen several balding men do it, thus the idea. If it makes an individual uncomfortable then of course don’t do it, but just like everything, everyone is an individual.

I also know the OP and the friend in question IRL, so felt comfortable making a practical suggestion. Best wishes to all.[/QUOTE]

Certainly, if you know the patient involved, and know it won’t be discouraging, then it’s a very reasonable suggestion. I don’t know what kind of cancer this patient is fighting, nor do I know her personally to know how she may react to it. I do know that with some women’s cancer treatments, one can just start to feel that being a woman is more trouble than it’s worth, just as the treatment is robbing one of some of the things that identify as female. It can be a confusing and stressful time, and just strikes me as a bad time to suggest wearing another reminder of the bother of being female on one’s head. I would not suggest it to a stranger, which is where I was coming from.

Thank you so much for all the excellent suggestions! We will experiment with various hats and scarves and see what works. As to the sanitary napkin idea, this is a good one. I use panty liners in my own helmet and love them because they soak up sweat and are easily changed. I’ll be adding maxi pads to my helmet fitting kit ??

Cheers to all those who figure out ways to ride even through personal trials such as chemotherapy! Thanks again for the ideas and support!

under a cap

[QUOTE=monstrpony;8573799]
This is basically what the bandana ends up looking like, though this looks like a possibly better fit. Good suggestion!

Yeah, No. I don’t think so. Having your hair all fallen out, going through chemo, and still soldiering on is quite enough; having sanitary napkins in your helmet is asking a bit much for a cancer patient to be subjected to. A knit hairband, or the cap that jnel identified above will do the trick. While this is a reasonable suggestion, good for a chuckle, for short-term fix to a helmet/head miss-match, just … no. A lot of women crumble under the stress of this experience. Some are strong enough not to let it get in their way, and it takes a good bit of internal strength to do it. That strength deserves utmost respect and support. I know your suggestion was made with the best of intentions, but I’m afraid it really hit a nerve with me in the potential further humiliation department.

If the helmet is really that bad of a fit, splurge on a new one for the duration. Or, I bet any self-respecting tack shop, or even a helmet mfgr, would pony up a couple of spare helmet-fitting strips to see someone through chemotherapy.[/QUOTE]
Umm, I have to disagree. When your undergoing chemo a new hat is NOT a good way to go. It’s too expensive and you can’t clean it. You NEED something on your head and between your head and the helmet. Your skin is way to sensitive and you need something like the thin sanitary pads or the cotton scarves (or dinner napkins) that take up the space. You need to be able to clean it regularly and you can’t do it without using something inside. The sanitary pads work well along with the cotton napkin or scarf as the best. Another good thing is the cotton liner that is used under a wig for people who have hair. It works well as just about the right amount and is easy to wash.

No one I know would have any problem with anything suggested and in fact can probably talk about bodily functions to boot. Believe me, doing chemo, nothing is sacrosanct and everything is discussed all the time. Any of the chat rooms, boards or groups I belong to can tell you this.

Well, to each his own.

But do read for comprehension, sportsfans; I wasn’t just guessing about this, I’ve been in the movie myself. The point is that going through cancer treatment can dredge up a lot of emotions, rational or not, about things that people outside of it might not suspect are there. My point was just to be careful and be sensitive to feelings. (And it is possible to get a perfectly safe, comfortable, serviceable helmet for well under $100; it doesn’t have to be an A show helmet. Figure out what is comfortable to wear underneath without compromising fit, and get–beg, steal, borrow, whatever–a helmet that fits properly with it)

I so clearly recall sitting in that chair, watching that red stuff flow into my body, knowing that in a few weeks–amongst other things–all of my hair was going to fall out and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it. That’s called loss of control over one’s life. It does strange things to people.

Be sensitive. That’s all.

I have 2 helmets - a newer hunt cap, and an old Troxel.
I have a big head.
And I hate wearing anything on my head. Oh, well…

As my hair fell out last fall, I did well with bandanas, tying in the back, and worn underneath the Troxel. I had previously found them super cheap at Michaels Crafts just to wear at the barn and in the garden to keep my hair out of my face. Was so glad to have them on hand. They come in dozens of colors. http://www.michaels.com/back-to-basics-paisley-bandana/M10118690.html?dwvar_M10118690_color=Red#start=1

Then this winter I picked up several knit hats at Targets - again - I hate hats - am not going to spend a lot! And just picked up a handful to be able to grab as needed. But, now that my hair is growing in, there’s not enough to really keep my head warm, so I wore them a lot this winter. In the house! To bed! :wink:

One of the knit hats was really fairly fine - probably a cotton knit - also works perfectly under the Troxel cap. http://www.target.com/p/women-s-soft-knit-beanie-hat-mossimo/-/A-17399774#prodSlot=_1_35 It fills in just enough to make up the difference. I do have fine hair, though, so may be different than one w/ thick hair. But for me, was just the right, kept me warm, but not too hot/fuzzy.

Good luck!

Sorry for your friend OP. Sending good thoughts her way!

I ride in a Uvex helmet and love it. Great ventilation, models that are sporty or relatively traditional. Best thing is that they have an awesome dial fit system that tightens pretty much all the way around your head. No weird pressure spots where the dials/bands go. I can put my hair up or leave it out as I please; also great for ‘guests’ who may need a helmet as it fits pretty much everyone. Just throwing this out there in case your friend wants to do some fun horsey shopping to solve this issue. She’ll still be able to use the helmet when her hair grows back. :yes: