Unlimited access >

Helmet reminder - working with horses on the ground

I just wanted to put this out there as a reminder of the random things that can happen on the ground…so many of us have heard the advice to wear a helmet lunging and handling on the ground, but don’t do it.

A couple months ago I was tending to a front hoof while my (large young) horse was on cross ties, and something spooked him. I was in jeans, t -shirt and tennis shoes. All I remember was starting to stand up, and then flying through he air like a dart, and feeling and hearing my head go crack on a solid horizontal 2 x 6 beam. I was stunned and fell back on the ground under my horse, who was leaping about on the ties.

Being under those flying hooves was pretty terrifying. I covered my head with my hands and basically crawled out of the way on my elbows and knees. I wish someone had seen the incident so they could explain how I was launched, because I don’t remember being pushed or knocked over - just being on the ground one minute and in the air the next.

Luckily I did not lose consciousness, and never had any scary symptoms. I still have a small knot on my head (this happened a couple months ago). I was so so lucky that I did not get kicked in the head or face while I was down and he was panicking.

I’ve fallen off so many times (esp as a kid) yet the only times I’ve hurt my head around horses, I was on the ground (you would think I’d learn by now). Anyway, especially if you work around horses alone or with youngsters, really think about wearing that helmet.

I’ve had my helmet save me twice in the cross ties!
First time, I was staring at my mares belly button that was a little crusty and covered in flies. Felt the thud as she used her hoof to get rid of them…ooops.

Second time, I was picking feet. Not entirely sure what happened, but there was a scramble and next thing I knew the ties were broken and both of us were super confused and looking at each other with wide eyes. The 2 people that were in the barn said they heard a loud noise and came running, realizing I was the only one inside. They asked what had happened, but I had no clue. All there was, was a skid mark across my helmet! I tried to have my helmet replaced at the time, but got HUGE flak from the tack store since I wasn’t “riding” at the time. Unbelievable. I had to argue the box said riding and driving and that I was clearly participating in a horse related activity. I would assume that there would be less of a fight to get a replacement these days!

yup. i put on my helmet before i ever start handling a horse. glad you were OK.

I don’t normally wear one until I’m about to ride. Had put one on before bridling my young horse and he got startled by something, jerked his head to the side and rang my bell pretty hard. The helmet didn’t protect me, so I’m not so sure everyone should run around wearing a helmet whenever their near a horse.

Then again, if you’re worried, put one on. Whatever floats each person’s boat.

(BTW, I also know people slammed in the chest by a young horse in a stall. Should the person always run around in a vest? I’m not saying it’s a bad idea in certain, high risk situations, but I think people involved in horses that are afraid of something happening all the time seriously need to rethink their personal levels of acceptable risk and rethink their chosen sport.)

[QUOTE=Velvet;8222722]
Had put one on before bridling my young horse and he got startled by something, jerked his head to the side and rang my bell pretty hard. [/QUOTE]

and that’s exactly why i wear it. have had the exact same thing happen (multiple times), and i don’t like to think what it would have been like if i hadn’t been wearing a helmet.

wearing helmets (and vests, if someone feels more comfortable that way) reduces the level of risk. :slight_smile:

great post and a reminder of a good habit we all could work toward

Somehow can’t picture the BO, a rider who always wears a helmet, going about TO BI and all the other myriad things BO’s do with a helmet on.

[QUOTE=Velvet;8222722]
…but I think people involved in horses that are afraid of something happening all the time seriously need to rethink their personal levels of acceptable risk and rethink their chosen sport.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Wrapping myself in bubble wrap to feed, water, clean stalls, scratch a neck, give a peppermint, etc., etc. doesn’t sound like a whole lot of fun. I tend to wear steel toe boots on the rare occasion I wrestle foals, but that’s about the extent of my safety consciousness.

Handling stallions and mares for breeding, too! In fact, leading stallions just about anywhere. You can never be sure they won’t “go up,” and my old-time farrier told me “The hind legs’ll hurt you, but it’s the FRONT ones’ll KILL you.” Never forgot that!

Putting on a helmet takes ten seconds. Not exactly bubble wrap /strapping on armor. Big talker as I forgot and did not do it today but I need to remind myself. An incident may never happen but it can and then there is no second chance to make it right.

My BO wears a helmet on the ground all the time btw. She clips horses , handles a lot of different ones, smart girl for her age she is 29. .

I wear a helmet every time I ride, but not on the ground.

Approximately half of all head injuries occur in motor vehicle crashes. So to be safe we should really be putting our helmets on before we even drive to the barn.

I try to remember to put my helmet on before working on the feet or legs. I don’t always remember, but I try to. I’ve been knocked by horses going after a fly often enough to feel that wearing the helmet the is a good precaution.

[QUOTE=saultgirl;8224627]
I wear a helmet every time I ride, but not on the ground.

Approximately half of all head injuries occur in motor vehicle crashes. So to be safe we should really be putting our helmets on before we even drive to the barn.[/QUOTE]

. . . and I’m betting a lot of the rest happen in the shower. Trouble is, it’s hard to wash your hair with a helmet on! :lol:

Don’t give the insurance companies any new ideas; we’ll have to drive to the grocery store in full NASCAR riggin.’