Unlimited access >

Helmet struggles

If the OP is competing at qn IEA show they are probably a junior, which makes this bad advice even worse.

7 Likes

If it hurts with your hair in it, but not with your hair in it, it fits. That is the safe way to wear a helmet. Put your hair in a braid or a low bun. Even if the bun doesnā€™t work with a dial helmet, it will probably work for the Charles Owen. I bun my hair, which is one reason I go with the CO.

I agree your dial helmet sounds too old and unsafe. Go to the show with your CO, your hair neatly styled NOT balled up in the helmet, and (nicely) tell your coach she needs to read a few articles about helmet safety and brain research.

You will ride better if youā€™re comfortable, not in pain with your head being squeezed.

1 Like

If OP is showing IEA then she is a minor! Talk about foolhardy, suggesting that a minor alter her helmet with a hammer. If adults want to be dumb and risk their lives I suppose they can but how irresponsible to suggest this to a minor!

7 Likes

I judge MANY IEA shows and not once has a helmet type affected my placings. Iā€™d be unable to live with myself if I saidā€¦ā€œwell that girl rode the best , but I just canā€™t use her first due to the helmet styleā€ Thatā€™s actually ridiculous.
Also, the horses you draw will be much harder to ride if the circulation is cut off to your brain!

20 Likes

Ok I would rather not do that, but thanks for the suggestion

2 Likes

My trainer said that to wear it out of my helmet I have to be under 11 years old, at least that is the rule at my barn, and Iā€™d really rather not argue right now. Sorry if Iā€™m being kinda rude but can you please not comment unless you have tips on how to get my long hair in the helmet that I have so that it is not painful, or how to get a new one that is bigger and fairly cheap but still looks nice and is not dial back.

1 Like

Hot take- I think there needs to be a rule against stuffing your hair into helmets. I know too many trainers that require this look and the fact is, not every type of hair will safely fit stuffed into a helmet especially if itā€™s thick or ethnic hair. Itā€™s ridiculous that we are regularly sacrificing safety for ā€œa lookā€. OPā€™s trainer isnā€™t the only one with this attitude and itā€™s a huge problem.

14 Likes

100% agree with your hot take. It really surprises me this is still considered okay to enforce upon people, especially young people, not only because of the TBI research but also because some ethnicities DO NOT have hair that can comfortably fit in a helmet in a ā€œhunter hairā€ style. Iā€™m not a woman of color, but my hair is very coarse, thick, and textured, and doesnā€™t ā€œdoā€ the hair-in-helmet thing comfortably, without lots of lumps and bumps and air pockets in the helmet.

4 Likes

There is no magic recipe to stuff hair into an ill fitting helmet. You either have to braid your hair and tuck it out of sight down your coat. (And this is not the same as pony kids with braids and show bows) or you will need to go to the tack store and buy a properly fitting helmet that you can reasonably afford I guess without a dial. Again consider the shape of your head and also the size. And I
Donā€™t care if you buy a $1000 helmet you still have to ride well. Your helmet simply needs to be appropriate and protect your brain. Iā€™m not sure what else you think can be done.

13 Likes

Exactly, the stuffing the hair in the helmet style just isnā€™t inclusive. It only works for white women with thin hair. I also think itā€™s important that brands stop having their models wear their hair like that. They should have models with thick curly hair, ethnic hair/ styles shown OUTSIDE of the helmet. Its great that brands are starting to care about diversity but they need to go further and show different types of hair as well as different skin colors.

7 Likes

I will try to talk to my instructor about it

3 Likes

Because we literally canā€™t.

You say putting the hair in it hurts your head, but expect what? to find magical answers here? My suggestion for you to try or not is do a low pony, pull it back through the hair elastic halfway, and put your hair net over that. It should resemble helmet hair without the hair being in your helmet.

9 Likes

I have very thick hair. It goes in the helmet. Blanket statement much?

1 Like

If you have thick hair and youā€™re stuffing it into your helmet, youā€™re sacrificing your safety for aesthetic purposes. Which, ok if youā€™re an adult youā€™re free to make whatever dumb choice you want but whatā€™s messed up is when minors, like OP, feel like they need to do that too.

You can tantrum all you want, Iā€™m not arguing. This style is dated and not inclusive so stomp your foot and carry on but Iā€™m still right.

6 Likes

Another problem with the hair-in-the-helmet thing is that when people cut their hair, the hair grows, or simply the hair shrinks or grows with humidity (as mine does), this also affects fit. When years ago, I tried to do the hair-in-helmet thing, the helmet would be either too loose or too tight, depending on my hairā€™s ā€œmoodā€ that day.

It would be really great if a helmet company would do a helmet fitting tutorial for different hair types and lengths, and suggested safe styles. Perhaps one already did, but when I Googled, all I found were videos and tutorials for hunter hair-in-helmet.

5 Likes

COTH isnā€™t letting me link to the thread, but itā€™s called ā€œHair out of helmet in hunter ring.ā€ Itā€™s pretty recent, so not hard to find if you scroll down.

Your trainer ought to read it.

2 Likes

I also have pretty thin hair it is just really long

I never know quite where to reply anymore so Iā€™ll stick this here with the note that itā€™s in response to this post and ensuing comments.

Iā€™m not sure why there needs to be a ā€œruleā€ when there isnā€™t a rule requiring the opposite in the first place.

I am increasingly seeing people with pony tails, low buns, braids, or with their shorter hair neatly tucked and netted (or not). ā€“ So if the real underlying issue is feeling self-conscious or defensive, guess what, you are on the cutting edge of what is becoming a norm. Exhibit A: Brianne Goutal-Marteau ā€“ and in hunter classes to boot.

The important thing is that oneā€™s helmet is properly fitted and hair worn in a way that doesnā€™t compromise its effectiveness.

Everyoneā€™s mileage will vary by hairs. Literally. So we encourage people to make sure their helmet fits properly and they understand what that means and how it works.

The OPā€™s fits as intended with her hair down? Her trainer needs to work with her to make sure her hair is neat down, then, and get over the ā€œit must be up!ā€ thing (which I am no more a fan of than being told my thin-arse white lady hair must not be worn up and that needs to be a rule! ā€“ When it seems to make no appreciable difference, up or down in my personal case).

I feel like this is akin to hunter riders Iā€™ve heard claiming discrimination when theyā€™re wearing vests. BS.
Speaking of things weā€™re seeing more and more of. I shouldā€™ve kept a tally of the vests I saw in the livestream from the hunter ring at the Hampton Classic (thereā€™s a fashion trial by fire).

Now, do we need to see manufacturers demonstrating helmets accommodating different types of hair and diversity in their models? Yes, absolutely. I am wholeheartedly on board with that. I also bet there are some amazing girls on Instagram to start with. And if there arenā€™t tutorials out there to address your questions but youā€™ve figured your hair out in a way youā€™re comfortable with and works with your helmet? Why wait for somebody else to make that video?!

1 Like

Take it back. If the store sold you the wrong size, itā€™s on them. Stores like Dover & SmartPak also donā€™t care if the tags are off. At least call them and see.

I will respond to OPā€™s request for brand recommendations.

Try on a KASK Kooki Lady helmet (moderately priced), with additional Lady Fit accessory. The helmet + accessory allows hair to be tucked below the helmet, while keeping it contained at the nape of the neck under the harness looking accessory, achieving the appearance of hair inside the helmet.

While this will not work for all, it is an available option that may provide the hunter look without altering helmet fit. Worth trying on to see how it works for you. Depending upon hair volume, the accessory may be perfect, or of no use at all.

1 Like