Unlimited access >

Helmet struggles

Because obviously trainers are prioritizing “the look” over safety so the governing bodies should step in and protect the athletes. Experts have clearly said that that’s not how helmets should be worn but too many people just don’t care enough to listen. OP does IEA, I bet if you looked at the IEA national photos nearly every kid would have their hair stuffed into their helmet like this so OP’s trainer’s attitude is clearly a common one. It was the same when I rode IEA 15 years ago too… clearly it’s not getting any better.

So yea IMO, time for USHJA to ban that style. Give everyone a 3 year heads up until it goes into effect so people have time to buy a helmet that fits without a bunch of hair shoved in it which most juniors probably are replacing their helmets at least that often anyway. Inclusivity and safety are so much more important than tradition.

3 Likes

Ok thank you, I will try to find that!

If your trainer is this concerned about the lewk you need a new trainer. Yikes. Another option is braid two pigtails and cross and pin them at the nape of your neck. The CO harness tends to hide my hair well when I do this for shows. But between the “no dial” and “hair must be under helmet if you want a shiny ribbon,” I’d be checking out new trainers, esp if it’s just an IEA show.

4 Likes

I agree with you - clearly the OP is an example of a kid whose trainer is prioritizing a look. And I certainly don’t disagree that “a bunch of hair” shoved under a helmet compromises its intended function.

People are using safety equipment improperly. No argument. But, again, what I want to know is the scope of it – and does it require a rule to solve? For instance, these days I’m not seeing a whole lot of juniors wearing their harnesses hanging a mile below their chins. Which used to be a thing IIRC. The rulebook still simply says “properly fastened.” Over the years, I’ve known kids and adults to purchase items - including helmets - that were too tight or too loose because the price was right or the brand coveted. I’ve also spent enough years in backyard barns and 4H – where, believe it or not, hardly anyone, if anyone, does “hunter hair.” I can tell you I wouldn’t guarantee everyone’s helmets are all fitting right. You see them shifting forward. You see them shifted back.

Perhaps even, the rule isn’t hair, it’s simple fit. I still don’t know how you demonstrate that without checking heads - unless the problem is obvious (10 miles of visible forehead or a brim on the nose?). Photos only provide a guess at fit.

To that end, I also understand that helmets are designed to fit closely to the head. However one person’s thick hair down may equal my thin hair up. Which is where I have questions and am eager to do additional reading. I am familiar with Mary Babick’s original article and I remember it citing research but not necessarily with specificity (I am a COTH subscriber and will be going back to the archives). Similarly I have read Dr. Chambless’s work referenced, but don’t recall much about the quantifiable scope of this problem. If anyone can point me to where I can read more of that (papers on the topic, research), I’d be appreciative.

But I also have to ask what the logistics of enforcement looks like. We spend a lot of time trading tips about doing hair neatly and discreetly. These threads are full of people demonstrating their alternatives to hunter hair where you “can’t really tell” unless you’re right up close. Given the depth and breadth of people’s hair and not everyone has Dani Waldman locks or feathers visible from space, this opens up a lot of administrative questions. Hair down isn’t always going to be as obvious as an errant martingale in the hack.

Samshield also makes a dressage version that makes room in back for a bun. There are loads of suggestions in the hunter ring hair thread I mentioned earlier.

1 Like

Soooo I’ll be the voice of reason here. This comes from being at WEC all winter and summer and observing all the top riders in the hunters and jumpers. If Brianne Goutal, Candice King, and various other top hunter/jumper riders are wearing their hair properly out of their helmet, then your trainer needs a good wakeup call. The design of these new helmets is to not let your hair impede the fit.
IEA judges should be aware with recent trends. As long as your hair is neatly secured and allows for you to display your number, you should be totally acceptable and actually on-trend. FWIW, as many have said here, safety is paramount. People are hyper-aware of it and it’s not uncommon to see safety vests worn over hunt coats, as well. If your trainer doesn’t understand this, then either they’re either more outdated than your old helmet, or just concerned with trends and have a mental block from seeing the bigger picture. As you mentioned IEA, it means you’re a junior or newly turned amateur. No one should be encouraging a junior or young ammy to be uncomfortable or unsafe.

7 Likes

@CQequestrian, I think this helmet fit/safety issue is good thing to talk with your parent(s) about so they can do some research and talk with your trainer about it.

3 Likes

Yes j believe it does. Most people in the hunter ring do this and that’s been the case for years. I don’t see how a renew rule isn’t in order here.

That’s not really the point because there’s nothing we can do to change that but we can stop shoving our hair into helmets.

I think we need to stop being discreet about freaking hair. It’s a trend that’s completely misogynistic. It’s hair. Can we all stop being offended by femininity? I’m not shoving it into the back of my hunt coat, I’m not shoving it in my helmet. I’ll put it in a low bun but I’d that didn’t work, I’d do a braid or a ponytail. Sorry for offending you with my hair. Get over it.

What are kids supposed to do that have ethnic hair and have styles like braids? Or dreads? They can’t be discreet. This is hair discrimination. There are bills to prevent this in the workplace so clearly we do need a rule to solve this.

7 Likes

Ty for the hair suggestion, but please don’t hate on my trainer. She’s so sweet and I love her, plus I have a lot of friends who do IEA at a different barn and they have to wear their hair up too and they have a trainer that I used to ride with and is very nice. Just because a trainer requires this doesn’t mean they are bad. Did you see this post?

it is if they do not understand the consequence of traumatic brain injury and the role of an improperly fitting helmet

10 Likes

We are encouraged not to put our hair into our helmets for regular lessons though for safety reasons. Besides when we show we are in divisions that are fairly easy for us so we will be most successful. For example I am jumping 1’6" courses but in shows I will only do walk/trot/canter flat classes, and because it is easier we are less likely to fall off. I don’t necessarily agree that hair should be stuffed into the helmet, but I’m not going to look for a new trainer just because of this. The majority of IEA trainers require that you stuff it in your helmet anyway, and it is required to show at the barn where I ride and there is no way I am riding at a different barn because I have to stuff my hair in a helmet at my current barn.

Officially the thread in which 18 inches gets a rebrand

10 Likes

Also Courtney King Dye would like to have a word about the protective power of doing something “easy” under saddle and whether it can protect you from a significant brain injury.

10 Likes

So many really bad head injuries seem to be competent and experienced people riding on the flat. It definitely makes sense since that’s what we spend most of our time doing-- wearing an unsafe helmet to flat is like leaving the shoulder belt of your seat belt off unless you go on the highway.

1 Like

Everyone PLEASE stop hating on my trainer for having me put my hair in a dang helmet!! I have ridden with 4 trainers so far and my current one is by far my favorite. If you don’t have something nice and helpful to say don’t post anything!

I was curious because of this thread, and went on the IEA website. I was pretty disappointed to see that while the first image shows a group of diverse young riders, all of the people shown in full hunt seat gear have the hair-in-helmet look. Also, apparently Western IEA riders don’t wear helmets?

I am personally of the belief that, given we have modern technology, when riding you should wear a helmet, but even the usual excuses people give about not wearing proper helmets like “I know my horse” and “it’s only in a casual and relaxed setting” don’t even apply to catch riding/showing.

I am thinking your trainer is just doing what most trainers in this situation do. There are even trainers that require their whole team to have the same brands for their entire outfit. Which we all know does not work since some helmets/breeches do not work for some people.

So, I am not hating on your trainer.

At this point I still think you need to talk to your parents and figure out a solution. A helmet that is too tight with your hair in it is not going to work any better than any other helmet with your hair in it, all while distracting you with a headache.

I think you need to wear your properly fitted dial helmet for your lessons/schooling with your hair out and though we all agree that hair in the helmet is not as safe, get a helmet that fits with your hair styled how you will show.

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Yeah it does drive me crazy how western riders don’t wear helmets, when I go on trail rides only people under 18 are required to wear them, and I just don’t get it. My grandma was on a trail ride with me once, and she was terrified, and they didn’t have a helmet in her size. it sucks.

3 Likes

@CQequestrian, do you know how you will style your hair at shows?
If you have never done this before it might be good to talk to someone who has experience doing it so they can teach you all the tricks and techniques.