Helmets that go down lowest in the back after having brain/skull/neck surgery!

I posted this in the hunter/jumper forum as well but might get some more responses here:

After having my third surgery on my head/skull/neck, I was wondering if any new helmets have come out that go really low in the back. I currently have the Tipperary T2 but it doesn’t fit my head perfectly so I’m curious if there are any new great helmets out there with a very low back profile. I want to have as much coverage at the base of my skull as possible.

Many thanks!!

GPAs have pretty good coverage in the back. You may want to check them out.

I have looked at those, don’t go low enough I’m afraid. The Tipperarys go lower, just not that comfy.

Which Tipp do you have? The original design has been brought back and I found it more comfortable that the one in the middle, so to speak. That one had venturi-type vents, while the newer one has the original plain open vents (with mesh on the inside. There is something different about the shape of the shell, because when I put the new one on it was much more comfortable. Am I making any sense???

Have you tried the IRH brand?

The ovation protege comes down low in the back like a tipperary sportage - but the shape is a bit different. The tipperary does not fit my head at all - while the ovation fits very well.

I also have a Charles Owen SHOWJUMPER helmet - this looks like a traditional hunt cap type - but also comes down further in the back. This model does not seem to be very popular in the “states” but both Dover and Adams saddlery carry it.

http://www.charlesowen.co.uk/gb/products/showjumper+xp

Showjumper XP is a deeply fitting, traditionally designed safety helmet.

And the Ovation helmet…

Does your doctor have any suggestions? I’d consider looking to see if a helmet for another sport has more neck coverage. Snowboarding? Dirt bikes? A sport where there are similar type falls but might be ahead of equestrians in safety technology.

(and no, I haven’t seen any equestrian helmets with more neck coverage than Tipp)

Well after a suggestion from another member, I emailed Charles a Owen and got a recommendation from their managing director in the UK! I’m supposed to look at the 4 Star Skull Helmet as it will offer my “involved parts” the most protection! Very impressed that they took the time to really help me with this issue snd will go try the helmet as soon as I’m healed!

The One K, and Tipperary helmets are the ones my neuro approved I felt the One K went down the furthest

Helmets are so weird eh? Or maybe it’s our heads. My sportage helmet is my best fitting safest helmet for me by a long shot. Sigh. Sorry it doesn’t work for you

Pikeur have one with a low back, but you’d have to shop in Europe.
http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Pikeur-Riding-Helmets-for-Adults.html

Charles Owen also have the Rider 2000 if you like the traditional look.
http://www.charlesowen.co.uk/gb/products/rider+2000

Devonaire Matrix. Valleyvet has it and it is on the Devonaire website.

We’ll I went to Dover today and the smallest 4Star they had was a 6 7/8 and it was way too big! I tried a couple more then realized it’s too soon from my surgery to be trying helmets on - god awful painful. Need some more healing before I can do this. But, the Tipperary definately does go the farthest down in the back so I may just have to pad it up.

Just be sure that it isn’t designed so that if your head should snap backward that part of the extension from the back of the helmet to cover the neck doesn’t get forced into your neck and cause injury. Maybe ask your Dr. about riding with some kind of neck brace.

It looks like the CO 4 Star goes down to 6 5/8". Bit of Britain carries it in that size, but looks like not many others do. They have it on sale right now for $213.07, with another 10% off with their winter coupon code (WINTER15).

[QUOTE=Thoroughbred in Color;7976464]
It looks like the CO 4 Star goes down to 6 5/8". Bit of Britain carries it in that size, but looks like not many others do. They have it on sale right now for $213.07, with another 10% off with their winter coupon code (WINTER15).[/QUOTE]

Thank you, perhaps I’ll call them tomorrow and see if they can help me!