Unlimited access >

Helmets Tough

The bottom line is she is hopefully reducing the stigma around helmets.

I know barrel racers, hung out at rodeos - people can be merciless BULLIES to those who wear helmets…

Hopefully now that “Number 1” is wearing one - the bullying will be reduced.

Yeah yeah she flaps her legs like a bird in flight. As do MANY barrel racers.

And yes, there are a few racers (the ones named appear to be of an older generation - no?) who don’t do the crazy leg flopping thing…

But I don’t think her riding style is out of line with many at the top, and heck she wins right? So it must work for her.

Just like I wouldn’t want “kids” copying everything John French does. He WINS, he gets great rounds of his horses - but he also has a tendency to duck like this… (where did he go?!)

So while John is a great rider, and does have wonderful points to share (I have been lucky enough to ride with him) ducking isn’t something everyone should emulate.

So while Tayor is successful, and kids should copy her BRAVE helmet wearing - just like pros in other sports, perhaps every detail of her riding style shouldn’t be copied.

Of course Martha Josey isn’t going to bounce out of the saddle. She rides in a Magic Seat. That velcro seat isn’t going to let her bounce.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o245/blair_rider/marthajosey.jpg

[QUOTE=beau159;7913643]
Of course Martha Josey isn’t going to bounce out of the saddle. She rides in a Magic Seat. That velcro seat isn’t going to let her bounce.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o245/blair_rider/marthajosey.jpg[/QUOTE]

That must be some amazing Velcro if it is the only thing keeping her from bouncing.

I remember watching her compete even before the Velcro saddles. She used to promote and ride in Circle Y, her personal saddle had an ostrich seat, she still had a great position in that.

Indeed, I can’t recall Martha Josey ever bouncing around excessively.

She’s 76 years old. I may need a little velcro when I’m 76, too. I would bet with that velcro she can still beat folks half her age or more. She still promotes Circle Y and the saddle featured on the site still has the ostrich seat. The Magic Seat is a removable feature that she speaks to on her web site.

They have velcro saddles??? cool

Kudos on the helmet and fun colors but if she really wanted to improve aerodynamics shouldn’t Fallon corral some of that hair (and maybe some fringe)?

Come on’ people! Its BARREL RACING!

She is known for her crazy hair, bright colors and wild style.

Bring on the FRINGE and BIG hair - you aren’t going to see “hunter patties” or hair nets or shadbelly coats at a RODEO any day soon!

Honestly - its the fact that helmets are associated with “stuffy” english riding, and our “wussy” ways - that is a big hang up for them being accepted in western riding.

THIS is what barrel racing needs!

Honestly - they aren’t going to listen to helmet advice from people who say to tone down the fringe and to sit quieter!

[QUOTE=Appsolute;7914018]
Come on’ people! Its BARREL RACING!

She is known for her crazy hair, bright colors and wild style.

Bring on the FRINGE and BIG hair - you aren’t going to see “hunter patties” or hair nets or shadbelly coats at a RODEO any day soon!

Honestly - its the fact that helmets are associated with “stuffy” english riding, and our “wussy” ways - that is a big hang up for them being accepted in western riding.

THIS is what barrel racing needs!

Honestly - they aren’t going to listen to helmet advice from people who say to tone down the fringe and to sit quieter![/QUOTE]

:lol: Amen!!! :lol:

[QUOTE=rustbreeches;7906065]
I love it, but when I posted it on fb, one of my rodeo friends went off on a tangent. She is also the same friend that told my DD she didn’t need a helmet.[/QUOTE]

I am a helmet wearer. I will never get on a horse without my helmet. A few years ago when I was getting into showing pleasure I was told by a BNT that if I was going to wear a helmet in the western classes to not even bother to show up. I showed up anyway and we did well enough. I really hate how western people think wearing helmets makes them “less western.” BO is breaking out a 2 year old right now and I was a bit shocked to see her climb up for her first ride sans helmet. Again I think it’s a western rider mindset thing that I can’t wrap my brain around.

I truly believe that helmets should be required for all riders under the age of 18 in all disciplines. Was glad to see AQHA starting to step up to the plate on that one this year.

[QUOTE=Appsolute;7913621]
The bottom line is she is hopefully reducing the stigma around helmets.

I know barrel racers, hung out at rodeos - people can be merciless BULLIES to those who wear helmets…

Hopefully now that “Number 1” is wearing one - the bullying will be reduced.

Yeah yeah she flaps her legs like a bird in flight. As do MANY barrel racers.

And yes, there are a few racers (the ones named appear to be of an older generation - no?) who don’t do the crazy leg flopping thing…

But I don’t think her riding style is out of line with many at the top, and heck she wins right? So it must work for her.

Just like I wouldn’t want “kids” copying everything John French does. He WINS, he gets great rounds of his horses - but he also has a tendency to duck like this… (where did he go?!)

So while John is a great rider, and does have wonderful points to share (I have been lucky enough to ride with him) ducking isn’t something everyone should emulate.

So while Tayor is successful, and kids should copy her BRAVE helmet wearing - just like pros in other sports, perhaps every detail of her riding style shouldn’t be copied.[/QUOTE]

Just because it wins doesn’t make it right. I hate watching barrel racing because of the excessive kicking, whipping, and mouth yanking. :frowning:

You are unfamiliar with Magic Seats? I thought you had a ton of experience with barrel racing?

[QUOTE=Beverley;7913788]Indeed, I can’t recall Martha Josey ever bouncing around excessively.

She’s 76 years old. I may need a little velcro when I’m 76, too. [/QUOTE]

June Holeman is 70 (or maybe 71 at this point) and didn’t need a velcro seat to ride TallBoy at both the American and the Ram Circuit Finals Rodeo.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/7e/87/b0/7e87b0f1cec9baea3ff5600b6af9c1a4.jpg

(I say “didn’t” in past tense because she has since sold Tallboy.)

Of course, Angelico will probably start a hate thread on the fact that she uses rubber bands.

Everyone watch Fallon’s Round 1 win. I see no excessive whipping (doesn’t whip BabyFlo at all, actually). I see no jerking of the mouth. And I honestly don’t see anything wrong with her riding. Yes, she’s hustling BabyFlo with her legs. Some horses are push-style and need the hustling. But I don’t see that she is excessively kicking.

http://vimeo.com/113691088

Angelico: Please share what you see in this video that is so horrendous about her riding?

Here’s her round 4 win. Again, please (anyone) share what you think is so wrong about her riding.

http://vimeo.com/113894065

Obviously the first picture caught a bad “shot”. Fallon got caught being popped out of her saddle. Happens to the best of us.

But I don’t see why you posted pictures 2, 3, and 4 because I see nothing wrong with them?

In the second picture, she is very well balanced over the center of BabyFlo. Might appear likes she’s going to wallop her with a kick, but non-moving photographs can be really deceiving. Watch the actual videos instead. They tell a different story.

In the 3rd and 4th pictures … what exactly are you showing? In my mind, her body position on the 3rd picture is perfect. She’s staying out of BabyFlo’s way and is staying centered and balanced in the saddle. 4th picture is great too. While she’s leaning forward with her upper body, her weight is still perfectly centered in the saddle.

[QUOTE=Angelico;7913314]
Yes, several 1 and 2D horses. [/QUOTE]

At what level?

A 1D horse at a local jackpot is completely different that a winning pro-rodeo horse, or 1D horse at a huge barrel bash with 1,000 entries.

[QUOTE=beau159;7914593]
You are unfamiliar with Magic Seats? I thought you had a ton of experience with barrel racing?

You totally missed the point of what I was saying, dear. “That must be some pretty strong Velcro if it is the only thing keeping her from bouncing,” meant “[you can’t] think that is what is keeping her in the saddle”.

June Holeman is 70 (or maybe 71 at this point) and didn’t need a velcro seat to ride TallBoy at both the American and the Ram Circuit Finals Rodeo.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/7e/87/b0/7e87b0f1cec9baea3ff5600b6af9c1a4.jpg

(I say “didn’t” in past tense because she has since sold Tallboy.)

Of course, Angelico will probably start a hate thread on the fact that she uses rubber bands.[/QUOTE]

No I’m not quite as petty as you, I’ll pass. I was actually at the Circuit finals and saw Holeman ride. She was a class above most of the riders there for sure, both on a horse and on the ground. It is sad that at most barrel races (both rodeos and jackpots) there is generally one good rider for every fifteen you see. The few competitions with good legs, hands, and seats nearly always win, leaving the others in the dust.

The barrel racing world is by far the most vehemently opposed to rider improvement compared to other disciplines, and it shows. That is why I was hoping someone other than Fallon Taylor would win the NFR this year. Back in the barns at the circuit finals I was appalled at how many of the riders couldn’t even pick a hoof properly.

[QUOTE=beau159;7914611]
Obviously the first picture caught a bad “shot”. Fallon got caught being popped out of her saddle. Happens to the best of us.

But I don’t see why you posted pictures 2, 3, and 4 because I see nothing wrong with them?

In the second picture, she is very well balanced over the center of BabyFlo. Might appear likes she’s going to wallop her with a kick, but non-moving photographs can be really deceiving. Watch the actual videos instead. They tell a different story.

You don’t see how far back her lower leg is???

In the 3rd and 4th pictures … what exactly are you showing? In my mind, her body position on the 3rd picture is perfect. She’s staying out of BabyFlo’s way and is staying centered and balanced in the saddle. 4th picture is great too. While she’s leaning forward with her upper body, her weight is still perfectly centered in the saddle.

In the 3rd pic I’d like to know how her hand ended up there of all places and what she thinks she is accomplishing by it. Watching the round live it looked like her arm had some sort of partial paralysis and she couldn’t control it. In the fourth pic we can see more bouncing, lower leg leaving the building, and her laying over the top of a horse that isn’t that big to begin with. Why can’t some barrel racers learn to get up out of the saddle and out the horse’s way?
Sure or takes a little leg strength but it isn’t that hard.

At what level?

A 1D horse at a local jackpot is completely different that a winning pro-rodeo horse, or 1D horse at a huge barrel bash with 1,000 entries.[/QUOTE]

An NHBA event with 850 entries enough for you? It wasn’t even that great of a horse, and I’m not that good of a rider, the others there were just that bad.

I agree with Appsolute, I like her wild style. I wouldn’t say she was the best for ‘form’ amongst the 15 NFR finalists but I’ve seen a heck of a lot worse, and you don’t get those times if the horse is getting unduly banged and bounced and doesn’t want to try.

So, Beau, you called Angelico out on credentials and Angelico responded. What about your wins? At what level?

I like Fallon. I like that she’s promoting helmet, I like her crazy tie dye pants and fringe. I like her attitude. I really don’t see any major faults with her riding either. And trust me, I’ll be the first one to point out equitation flaws (not that I’m a great rider, but I can see good/bad riding in others). For example in the videos posted, she looked great! She wan’t kicking excessively. Sure her legs were moving, but she’s not kicking the snot out of Babyflo. Any halfway decent barrel racer knows that if you kick a horse hard you knock the wind out of them and they run slower.

Form follows function, but some of the best riders I know look awful on a horse, from foxhunters to steeplechase to flat racing to show hunter/jumpers. You can be just as effective looking awful as you can be ineffective but looking pretty.

Not sure how a helmet thread turned into a young woman bashing thread, but I am very disappointed that the female posters are not putting their petty critiques aside and supporting a very brave and unique horsewoman who is fearless in her riding and attire, but smart enough to protect her greatest asset - her brain.

Houston rodeo that was on last night and I’m assuming it was live as they were talking about the NFR, Fallon wore a western hat, so apparently the helmet is only on occasion? Was it just something she did for the NFR because of a sponsorship?

Fallon also raised that horse and TRAINED it so she must be doing something right. I am glad to see some helmet awareness cropping up in the rodeo world. My heart breaks every time I read about another young person suffering a TBI because they were not wearing a helmet. I live in rodeo country and it happens a lot.