Unlimited access >

Helmets?

Interesting because I also own and love the One K MIPS, but my Ovation schooler is dead and I was wondering if the TV would fit my head shape. Sounds like it probably would.

I bought a Charles Owen MIPS helmet last year and it gave me such headaches (thing weighs a ton) that it ended up being one of the many bad things about 2020. It was professionally fitted and everything.

If you like the look of the Samshield, the Tipperary Windsor MIPS helmet looks very similar.

Just bear in mind that i f the helmet does not properly fit your head, it won’t matter what technology it has in the design.

2 Likes

MIPS technology has been around for a while in bike helmets. When traditional equestrian helmets are tested the impact on the shell is at a right angle to the helmet. MIPS is designed for impacts at an angle which is common when we fall off our horse. That is why they cover so much of the head. Angled blows have some rotation. The liner slides similar to the way your brain does. It cuts down on the stress to your brain.

I bought a Trauma Void EQ3 when they were the only MIPS helmet available. I tried it on in a Dover store. They have 2 liners, one of which has padding on the sides for a longer head. I used the standard one for a rounder head. My previous helmet was a Tipperary Sportage and the TraumaVoid fit was fine. It comes in sizes 56, 57, 58 etc. The Lynx comes in S, M, etc.

My quasi-granddaughter was sitting in Florida complaining that her CO was wearing out; the harness was coming apart. She didn’t have money saved for a new one. I couldn’t let her wait. She gave me her size and I picked out 3 different helmets on SmartPak and had them sent to her. She chose the TraumaVoid Lynx and the other two were returned. SmartrPak and Dover send a prepaid return label so you don’t have to pay for return postage. This applies to sized items. It’s a good way to try a few helmets and find one that fits.

Years ago I returned two helmets to International under their replacement plan. One had a cracked brim, the other a blow that wasn’t visible. The new helmets included a report on the damage. It was much worse than I assumed.

4 Likes

True enough, but with the variety of models, shapes and sizes now available with MIPS, there should be one for just about everyone.

2 Likes

Also a lover of the Tipperary Windsor. You can take the lining out to clean it as well. I find it super comfortable and lightweight compared to my former CO. Plus…the rose gold is pretty.

Wow!!!

This is so great to read how many folks have caught onto MIPS technology Finally!!!

For those still in the dark, please come join our Facebook group for MIPS Equestrian Helmets.

We have all the brands reps we can get as members. They can reply to questions OFTEN. We have fabulous vendors that offer Online Zoom fittings (even for folks who didn’t buy a helmet from their store). We have an ear to the ground on the things coming and overall it’s a fabulous group of riders.

I highly encourage anyone to come over and ask questions about the helmets, fit, trends etc.

We are very welcoming and would always love the chance to help protect someone’s brain a bit more.

Ok lets try this again. Put it all together in your web browser

www. Facebook .com / groups / Mipshelmets

(again, with NO spaces)

Thanks and also feel free to reach out to me if I can help!!!

emily.daignault@gmail.com

Em

2 Likes

Unless they come up with something better I will never buy another helmet that doesn’t have MIPS. My old helmet was a OneK and I loved it so I planned to get the MIPS OneK but I didn’t like the way it fit. I ended up with the Tipperary Rose Gold after trying on several brands and really like it a lot. It has a dial in the back so I crank it down to be tighter before mounting but loosen it when I am wearing it while unmounted.

5 Likes

I feel the same way. I am PLEASANTLY surprised to say that I love my Tipp Windsor MORE than my GPA First Lady and I never thought that would happen.

3 Likes

New webinar on helmets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrJhEoR44ZY

1 Like

Great video. Now that I’m a woman of a “certain age”, I don’t bounce anymore. Didn’t know that I’m more prone to a concussion as well.

1 Like

Same here. I thought I would hate the dial but I love it.