Unlimited access >

Help!!!! 2.5 yr old stallion semen all dead

Good luck. In the meantime, start making plans for how to refund stud fees, if necessary. I am amazed, actually, that a horse so young has already had people willing to pay stud fees in advance with no actual offspring on the ground yet to observe.

I am speaking with someone from that facebook page thank you

[QUOTE=sdlbredfan;7900811]
Good luck. In the meantime, start making plans for how to refund stud fees, if necessary. I am amazed, actually, that a horse so young has already had people willing to pay stud fees in advance with no actual offspring on the ground yet to observe.[/QUOTE]

I bought a breeding to a young stallion to use in 2015. However, the owner is very well known with a sterling reputation, and her stallions are tested before she will book breedings to them. OP, I hope everything works out for you.

[QUOTE=kathy s.;7900849]
I bought a breeding to a young stallion to use in 2015. However, the owner is very well known with a sterling reputation, and her stallions are tested before she will book breedings to them. OP, I hope everything works out for you.[/QUOTE]

Every breeder* I have ever met has their stallion prospects tested prior to booking their first season for this very reason. Established stallions get tested prior to the start of each season and booked accordingly.

Good luck to you OP, I hope you are able to find the answers to your questions.

*By breeder I mean those who have a horse who is A. worthy of staying a stallion and B. have standards for the mares being bred. Above statement does not apply to the “it has testicles/ovaries and a uterus, let’s breed it and see what happens crowd”.

[QUOTE=Destyny;7898592]
Looking for help I have a 2.5 yr old colt. We collected him numerous times when he turned 2 with no living sperm, that vet told me he had not gone through puberty not to worry. Recollected him in Dec same result. Brought him to clinic for them to collect same thing. Morphology is good sperm count is ok not super about 3 billion in a 15ml collection. That vet says nothing he can do. I have tons and tons of breedings sold to this colt. I call a very large well know repo vet they say he may have a blockage and to collect everyday and see if that helps. If not might try Oxy to help with blockage. If nothing then we will test for alkaline levels to see if it’s a full ejaculate etc. Is he a “accumulator” any experience with this? He has not been sick I have owned him since 4 months no steroids etc. We was very sick with pneumonia at 5 months old and was on iv meds for a month but vets say that should not be affecting him now etc. Any help would be MOST APPRECIATED[/QUOTE]

Hope you get it sorted out.
But why would someone sell breedings to a young horse with a known issue? Or even book them until the issue was resolved.

There was no issue no one would ever think that a perfectly healthy colt would have a problem. The point of this post was to see if anyone had anything similar

Sometimes perfectly healthy colts are sterile. Weird, but it happens.

Best of luck with yours, and I hope it’s something that’s fixable.

[QUOTE=Destyny;7900983]
There was no issue no one would ever think that a perfectly healthy colt would have a problem. The point of this post was to see if anyone had anything similar[/QUOTE]

I hope things work out for you.

Standing a stallion is really NOT done in this manner, never that I am aware of. I
t’s a very unusual practice to sell breedings to a 2 1/2 year old colt without due diligence regarding fertility on the breeder’s part beforehand.

A SUCCESSFUL TB racehorse is not tested for fertility, depending on the insurance policy… but I take it that this is not a successful TB racehorse.

This is your first time standing a stallion? What breed is he, that people are willing to buy “(tons of) breeding(s) to him” at this age without a performance career or a breed testing/licensing?

This is far from my first stallion and it’s very very common

Might be quarter horses. For some reason, people think they are grown at 2 or 3 because they look mature, and then assume retirement at 14 is normal.

[QUOTE=Destyny;7898592]
Looking for help I have a 2.5 yr old colt. We collected him numerous times when he turned 2 with no living sperm, that vet told me he had not gone through puberty not to worry. Recollected him in Dec same result. Brought him to clinic for them to collect same thing. Morphology is good sperm count is ok not super about 3 billion in a 15ml collection. That vet says nothing he can do. I have tons and tons of breedings sold to this colt. I call a very large well know repo vet they say he may have a blockage and to collect everyday and see if that helps. If not might try Oxy to help with blockage. If nothing then we will test for alkaline levels to see if it’s a full ejaculate etc. Is he a “accumulator” any experience with this? He has not been sick I have owned him since 4 months no steroids etc. We was very sick with pneumonia at 5 months old and was on iv meds for a month but vets say that should not be affecting him now etc. Any help would be MOST APPRECIATED[/QUOTE]

But there potentially can be fertility problems with young colts. It is not unheard of. Often, they are just temporary until they mature, but the problem can still be there. Every stallion is different and every breed can be different. If you are planning on shipping semen, the other big dilemma that can occur is making sure a young colt is well trained enough to collect from an AV consistently and not have to worry about a colt that is still in training. I have heard horror stories of Stallion Owners having to contact Mare Owners to let them know they were unable to get their colt collected that day and cannot send semen. I’d hate to be the Mare Owner on the other end of that call and left with a large vet bill and no semen.

At the end of the day, you stated in your first post that you knew there was a problem when he was two. The responsible thing to do would have been to wait and not take Mare Owner money until you were able to confirm that the problem was eventually solved, he matured enough to produce live sperm, etc. Hopefully if this problem doesn’t get itself sorted out ASAP, you have a way to refund all of the Mare Owners money, despite what your breeding contract might state. Notifying Mare Owners sooner that later also gives them ample time to rethink their breeding season and choose another stallion to book to.

Good luck!

Is he under lights, as is done to mares to bring them into strong heats early in the season?

I he getting heavily exercised, outside - if not, change that.

Is he stabled next to (not too dominant) cycling mares? Their hormones will influence this in a positive way, too.
Has he been used as a teaser? This may help.

What if any antibiotics has he been on recently? Any fever? All may kill sperm.

Get thee to a good repro vet and get another collection or collect several times weekly to ‘clear out the bad’ if possible.

Yes, it is possible severe illness as a weanling could have had a permanent effect on his fertility.

Collecting in December, depending on where in the northern hemisphere you are, could show low fertility.

you really need to work with an expert on this,
Good luck.

From username destyny I am going to guess Arabian, so selling breedings to an unproven stallion based on papers and a pretty face is a definite possibility. Performance is not a requirement.

Except in this one critical area, alas!

Jennifer

How is it going so far with your young stallion? If, God forbid, this problem is not successfully resolved, do you have a plan already in place to refund the stud fees?
Best of luck to you and your horse!

[QUOTE=Destyny;7901105]
This is far from my first stallion and it’s very very common[/QUOTE]

In what breed is it “very very common” to sell “tons of breedings” to a 2 1/2 yr old colt with fertility issues that have been known since he was first examined for fertility, at 2yrs old ? :confused:

[QUOTE=ThirdCharm;7906137]
From username destyny I am going to guess Arabian, so selling breedings to an unproven stallion based on papers and a pretty face is a definite possibility. Performance is not a requirement.

Except in this one critical area, alas!

Jennifer[/QUOTE]

Alas! Not an Arabian. Do a little stalking and you will see it’s a QH. Not that I think the Arab people are much less guilty of lacking sense sometimes when breeding, but… might as well state the facts.

[QUOTE=Destyny;7900983]
There was no issue no one would ever think that a perfectly healthy colt would have a problem. The point of this post was to see if anyone had anything similar[/QUOTE]

Infertility just happens sometimes, and can happen in the healthiest, most-robust, high-profile horses out there. It just happens. You cannot tell anything from just looking at the outside of the horse. Cigar was the most accomplished racehorse of my lifetime and after earning $10 million at the track was supposed to be a blockbuster in the breeding shed. He was a big strapping gorgeous horse. Of course we all know how that ended.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-03-07/news/1997066101_1_cigar-infertile-breeding

Sadly, it does happen. Here is another example:

The 2005 Hanoverian Reserve Licensing Champion Primetime has been returned to the Hanoverian Verband. The black Prince Thatch xx x Wenzel offspring, purchased by Paul Schockemohle and Blue Hors Stud at the 2005 Hanoverian licensing for 580,000 euro, turned out to be infertile. The owners complained to the Hanoverian Verband which annulled the sale of the stallion.
“We were very happy and optimistic when we bought the reserve champion in Verden together with Paul Schockemohle, because we secured a super young stallion with quality and an interesting pedigree,” Blue Hors stud said, “but then we had Primetime’s semen checked and the quality was very poor.”
In agreement with the Hanoverian Verband, Blue Hors sent Primetime to the Equine Clinic of Hannover, where his semen was further tested. The result was that the semen is completely infertile. “We wanted to give Primetime one more chance and at the end of November we inseminated seven mares at Gestut Lewitz. None of them were in foal.”
Blue Hors and Paul Schockemohle sent an official complaint to the Hanoverian Verband, which they accepted. The sale of the stallion has been annulled.

[QUOTE=Blume Farm;7907009]
Sadly, it does happen. Here is another example:

The 2005 Hanoverian Reserve Licensing Champion Primetime has been returned to the Hanoverian Verband. The black Prince Thatch xx x Wenzel offspring, purchased by Paul Schockemohle and Blue Hors Stud at the 2005 Hanoverian licensing for 580,000 euro, turned out to be infertile. The owners complained to the Hanoverian Verband which annulled the sale of the stallion.
“We were very happy and optimistic when we bought the reserve champion in Verden together with Paul Schockemohle, because we secured a super young stallion with quality and an interesting pedigree,” Blue Hors stud said, “but then we had Primetime’s semen checked and the quality was very poor.”
In agreement with the Hanoverian Verband, Blue Hors sent Primetime to the Equine Clinic of Hannover, where his semen was further tested. The result was that the semen is completely infertile. “We wanted to give Primetime one more chance and at the end of November we inseminated seven mares at Gestut Lewitz. None of them were in foal.”
Blue Hors and Paul Schockemohle sent an official complaint to the Hanoverian Verband, which they accepted. The sale of the stallion has been annulled.[/QUOTE]

A shame, because I would TOTALLY want a foal from that stallion!

I’m curious, what is the reason people breed to an unproven stallion? Bloodlines? Why not breed to the colt’s sire instead?