Unlimited access >

Help!!!! 2.5 yr old stallion semen all dead

[QUOTE=Blume Farm;7907009]
Sadly, it does happen. Here is another example:

The 2005 Hanoverian Reserve Licensing Champion Primetime has been returned to the Hanoverian Verband. The black Prince Thatch xx x Wenzel offspring, purchased by Paul Schockemohle and Blue Hors Stud at the 2005 Hanoverian licensing for 580,000 euro, turned out to be infertile. The owners complained to the Hanoverian Verband which annulled the sale of the stallion.
“We were very happy and optimistic when we bought the reserve champion in Verden together with Paul Schockemohle, because we secured a super young stallion with quality and an interesting pedigree,” Blue Hors stud said, “but then we had Primetime’s semen checked and the quality was very poor.”
In agreement with the Hanoverian Verband, Blue Hors sent Primetime to the Equine Clinic of Hannover, where his semen was further tested. The result was that the semen is completely infertile. “We wanted to give Primetime one more chance and at the end of November we inseminated seven mares at Gestut Lewitz. None of them were in foal.”
Blue Hors and Paul Schockemohle sent an official complaint to the Hanoverian Verband, which they accepted. The sale of the stallion has been annulled.[/QUOTE]

Not sue how many mares the OP booked, but I sure hope it was less that 580E worth:) That would be terrible check to have to refund!!

Regarding why not breed to the studs sire: There could be many reasons, one being you like the combination of sire and dam lines of the young stud. For example, I would not want to breed to Sandro Hit directly, but might like him in the second or third generation when mixed with D or R line.

Have you talked to an expert on this? My vet in Georgia worked on a stallion like this. He mentioned that he was able to increase the sperm count on this one particular stallion but I can’t remember the details.

What ever happened to Primetime?

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2009/04/09/prince-de-hus-aka-prime-time-severely-injured

[QUOTE=Destyny;7901105]
This is far from my first stallion and it’s very very common[/QUOTE]

Sorry Destyny. It’s been decades since I have been familiar with the breeding of Quarter horses (other than keeping up with the HYPP debacle, reading the literature and noticing that the AQHA continues to be as inept as ever in their handling of the “problem”).

Anyway, I shouldn’t have spoken up. For all I know it may now BE a common practice to sell “tons of” breedings to 2 1/2 year old colts, as you say. It just wasn’t common in my experience, but my experience is not current.

[QUOTE=back in the saddle;7907337]
http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2009/04/09/prince-de-hus-aka-prime-time-severely-injured[/QUOTE]

UGH. Sad story. Wonder if he survived?

Fingers crossed for OP’s colt.

If it’s a nice up and coming stallion with a cheap fee, some are willing to take a gamble before the stud’s kids get really going and his fee rises.