Unlimited access >

Help! Dog ate manure of horse on SMZ's

My sneaky ten pound pup ate a small amount of manure of a horse on SMZ antibiotics. Will he be ok???

I have no idea. I would be calling my vet.

I wouldn’t think it would be a problem, but call your vet or the veterinary poison control line. I don’t know the charge for the poison control service, but it would give you peace of mind.

It is excreted via the kidneys if I remember correctly so your pup should be fine. It is also used sometimes in small animals

[QUOTE=AKB;7835188]
I wouldn’t think it would be a problem, but call your vet or the veterinary poison control line. I don’t know the charge for the poison control service, but it would give you peace of mind.[/QUOTE]

$65 to call the ASPCA poison control line. Certainly worth a call to them or your current vet to get expert advice on how concerned you should be & what are is the best course of action. The link below says that more is excreted in urine than feces, but it also goes on to list many nasty effects of an overdose. http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pharmacology/antibacterial_agents/sulfonamides_and_sulfonamide_combinations.html “Most sulfonamides are excreted primarily in the urine. Bile, feces, milk, and sweat are excretory routes of lesser significance.”