Unlimited access >

Help finding a good diet for a warmblood yearling.

Hello,

I just got a new yearling, she’s a canadian warmblood( Hanoverian/ Clyde/ TB cross) she is already 15.3 hands high, however she was on a hay and grass diet only where i got her. Im asking about possible feeds or supplements to help her gain weight on her rump and chest, for all she has now is a hay belly.

I have another horse, but he is still on a racing diet b/c he gets worked alot. we are just starting the ground manners for the yearling but we are focusing on getting a little more weight on her.

My profile picture is her, i will try to add a link or photo here.

Any advice is welcome, i have had Arabians and taken care of QH’s before but they were older then two, shes my first yearling.

Anastasia side
Anastasia front

A good ration balancer is always where I start. Most likely that would be enough for her along with free choice hay if she looks that good on hay alone.

Thank you for the Advice Laurierace. so a ration balancer. One with low protein i assume

No, she needs protein to grow. Ration balancers are generally in the 30% protein range but you feed a very small amount. Generally a pound or two per day.

I’m going to make a gross blanket statement and say that most young horses I see are wormy. She looks the same. Maybe de-worm the crap out of her too.

Other than that to make nutrition a no brainer I would just use Triple Crown 30%. If she needs more cals then maybe use TC Growth and supplement if needed with 30%. Or use TC 30% and throw in some beet pulp.

I have had only 1 experience with a home bred. She never looked like all those babies do when they are weaned when you can see their ribs and they have a hay belly. But I’m pretty good at staying on top of deworming.

I went to an equine vets farm to look at her horses and all of her weanlings looked like that. She said, “you know they look like that right after you wean them”. I just bit my tongue.

FEC before deworming, just to get a handle on where things are :wink:

You’ll still want to deworm now though, with Equimax **, since you have or will be soon getting a good hard freeze (and I AM assuming you’re up North somewhere, but if that’s not correct and you are somewhere that doesn’t freeze, it’s still an appropriate time of year to hit them with Equimax :)).

Some horses get this way due to poor quality hay.

**an exception would be if she’s simply loaded with worms, in which case I’d do a single dose of Safeguard/Panacur now, then in 2 weeks use Equimax

Thanks for all the advice guys it is greatly appreciated

I feed Progressive Nutrition’s Pro Advantage Grass Diet Balancer(ration balancer for horses eating grass hay or 50/50, they also make an Alfalfa diet balancer for ones eating only alfalfa) if you need more calories I use Progressive Nutrition’s Envision Classic-an extruded fat supplement and as much top quality free choice hay as possible…Buckeye also makes a good RB -Gro N Win and Ultimate Finish…as well as Triple Crown…but in my opinion Progressive Nutrition is the best option available

[QUOTE=purplnurpl;7269064]
I’m going to make a gross blanket statement and say that most young horses I see are wormy. She looks the same. Maybe de-worm the crap out of her too.

Other than that to make nutrition a no brainer I would just use Triple Crown 30%. If she needs more cals then maybe use TC Growth and supplement if needed with 30%. Or use TC 30% and throw in some beet pulp.

I have had only 1 experience with a home bred. She never looked like all those babies do when they are weaned when you can see their ribs and they have a hay belly. But I’m pretty good at staying on top of deworming.

I went to an equine vets farm to look at her horses and all of her weanlings looked like that. She said, “you know they look like that right after you wean them”. I just bit my tongue.[/QUOTE]

:yes:Purp is right. For myself, I haven’t put many babies on the ground (6) and none of them looked wormy, including the weanlings. My vet does repro and breeds and I got a strict schedule about worming our baby this year. We also have a good worming schedule for all the horses.

You should check with your vet as per what you can or should worm with, although after Purp’s post, maybe you should just stick with us :smiley: My vet also talked to me about a specific program for my broodie as well as the baby. I would go with a repro vet if your not getting what you feel is enough information. Good luck, she looks nice.

I feed TC 30 to my young horse and he looks great. I agree with getting a handle on that worming, young horses have different deworming needs.

Thank you guys. All the information is helpful, she was dewormed two weeks before i got her and i got her last week., but i might do it again in the net week or so with equimax. or something a little lighter because she was dewormed recently

You deworm foals monthly through their two year old year alternating between ivermectin and either double fenbendazole (panacur, safeguard), double pyrantel pamoate (strongid paste), or 1.5x oxibendazole (anthelcide).

I really like Genesis grain for my young horses (and my show/brood herd too). Its 100% organic, non-GMO ingredients, you don’t need to feed very much to get a complete nutritional profile. It’s cost effectife because you simply don’t need as much. Its also safe for sugar sensitive horses, contains no molasses or overly processed particles. I feel it helps my young horses to eat a perservitive, organic, natural, non-gmo, not heat processed diet.