Help finding the right snaffle bit for my pleasure pony!

Hi! So I don’t show at all, just ride western on trails and some small fun shows every once in a while. I recently acquired a pony that has been ridden in a curb bit. I personally don’t use curb bits and I dont trust myself with one as I tend to lean on my hands for stability, causing a curb bit to be an uncomfortable experience nonetheless. What type of snaffle should I get when I’m basically going from ground zero? The only thing I know about this mare is that she doesn’t like stainless and her curb bit had a roller in it. Should I get blue steel, copper, sweet iron? Roller/no roller? And what joint should I get? Single or double? Thanks :slight_smile:

Well, I would look for whatever mouthpiece she has on her curb, but in a snaffle! So yes to roller, and whatever material she currently uses.

Thank you :slight_smile: What would you reccomend as far as joints/links? I read that a linked snaffle is gentler than a single joint, but that doesnt really help me…

If you know your balance and hands are a weak point, stay away from single jointed snaffles and 3 piece snaffles with regular links. They collapse in the mouth when both reins are engaged. I personally prefer Myler Level 1-3 snaffles without hooks, over anything else as they have good independent side action, good feel and can’t collapse in the mouth if you accidently hang on them.

2 Likes

I ride all my horses past/ present in a copper full check snaffle. Every horse no matter what we do does great.bN8s9e_500x

Just a note that some horses have shallow mouths (ponies being smaller, even more likely to have this problem.) A shallow mouth and/or a thick tongue combo are not good with broken mouth pieces – any rein action nutcrackers that joint right into the roof of their mouths.

So, you err in either direction if your horse has this conformational issue. Either a straight bar mouthpiece (as is found on many curb bits), or a many-jointed mouthpiece, so it curves over the tongue and doesn’t have a straight, gouging joint.

Your horse may not have this issue.