Unlimited access >

Help me choose a show name?

I got an adorable horse for my lesson program last fall. Turns out she has a bit more spice than I need for a beginner rider, but she’s great for the show ring :grinning: so I’ll be keeping her for myself.
Her barn name is Callie, she’s a 15ish hand chestnut mare. She had a rough start in life but now thinks jumping jumps is just about the best thing ever. She went through at least two auctions before I got her and was originally ridden western; I have a suspicion she may have come from something in the rodeo.

I’ve come up with two, very unoriginal show names: California Girl and Catherine the Great. I’m looking for more suggestions.

I’ll post pics tomorrow of her.

You could call her Super Callie Fragilistic :smile:

And yes to pics!!

11 Likes

If she has spice and is red, Caliente or Cayenne? Or Paprika, but that doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Catch Me (might be a jinx…)
Call It [______] (insert anything, Good, Hot, Bad, Red, Loud)

Or think of something in your life. I have a pony that I’m making her show name the name of a Homeland Security Grant I worked and got paid well for, to afford her :laughing:

1 Like

Capsaicin (the component that makes peppers hot)
Carmine
Crimson
Garnet
Titian (pronounced Ti-SHUN)
Vermilion
Carnelian

1 Like

Calliope was one of the 9 Greek muses. She was the muse of epic poetry (or song, or dance, depending on which legend you read). The muses inspired creation and creativity with their grace.

This would be my choice, but a significant caveat would be that you won’t find too many people who can pronounce it properly. It sounds like kuh-LY-oh-pee, and many people mistakenly pronounce it as KAL-li-ope. So if hearing it butchered as you are announced bothers you, this won’t be a great choice.

**Shout out to NOLA riders on this one. The city of New Orleans has a series of streets named after all of the muses.

5 Likes

Calligraphy

1 Like

Caliente :hot_pepper:

3 Likes

Sporty Spice (from the Spice Girls)

You guys are much better at this than me :smile:

So here’s some very bad photos. When I got her she was still pretty underweight and then grew so. Much. Hair. So I don’t have a ton of pics yet.

2 Likes

Some like it hot

Little red dress

Last Call- since she went through the auctions

1 Like

Pumpkin Spice.
Mucho Caliente
Caliente Cutie
Just Add Spice

Pick your Spice?
Spice Level 5
Salt to Taste

I am a firm believer in the “take your time the right name will emerge” camp. No rush so just wait until the right name comes to you. It always does (in my experience).

Some more pics from after our ride today. Keep the names coming; I’m going to compile my favorites and have a vote on Facebook probably.

I’m totally in love with this little mare. I’ve never worked with a horse that was such a natural at jumping, and loved it so much.

6 Likes

Instead of playing off the word “spice,” maybe play off the word “fire.” I like that for red horses :).

Fire Drill
Where There’s Fire
Bonfire
Firebird

Calling All Angels?

Sporty Spice is taken :smirk:

jk but I love “Capsaicin”!!! I am a huge fan of cool sounding one-word show names.

2 Likes

She’s really cute. Quarter horse?

Hot Stuff
Hot Stuff Comin’ Through (I think they say that in restaurants)
Bonfire
Caliente
Firefly
Fire Bell

Or to channel a western name

Sheza Hottie. :laughing: