Unlimited access >

Help me find the perfect monocrown bridle!

So I have finally come to terms with the fact that my little mare is not going to be a jumper and things have gotten a little more serious with her dressage training. So now I’m on the lookout for a nice but reasonably affordable monocrown dressage bridle.
These are the specs:
Her current H/J bridle is the HDR pro monocrown which is perfectly shaped for her. If I could find a dressage bridle with a crown like this I’d be in heaven: http://cdnll.doversaddlery.com/images/xl/0012350_1.jpg

• 14.1 hand mare, with TMJ and occasional poll issues. Monocrown bridles with nice anatomically shaped/cutback crownpiecesare a necessity.
  • cob or horse size, depending on fit. Cob/pony length head (although can usually make horse sized cheekpieces work), but horse sized browband and nosebands are usually needed.
    -flash or regular noseband. Nothing too thick, since she has a pony head, but it needs to be nice and padded.
  • around $200, with some wiggle room.
  • again, cutback/shaped monocrowns so the princess doesn’t have her ears pinched

Help me find this bridle, oh knowledgable ones!

I got this and have been quite pleased. I got the flash version and the rubber lined reins are my new favorites.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/plymouth-elite-dressage-bridle-by-smartpak-9857

How does that Smartpak one fit around the ears? It looks like the crownpiece is cutback but not the padding. Girl’s got sensitive mule ears :sigh:

[QUOTE=Wychwood;8193613]
So I have finally come to terms with the fact that my little mare is not going to be a jumper and things have gotten a little more serious with her dressage training. So now I’m on the lookout for a nice but reasonably affordable monocrown dressage bridle.
These are the specs:
Her current H/J bridle is the HDR pro monocrown which is perfectly shaped for her. If I could find a dressage bridle with a crown like this I’d be in heaven: http://cdnll.doversaddlery.com/images/xl/0012350_1.jpg

• 14.1 hand mare, with TMJ and occasional poll issues. Monocrown bridles with nice anatomically shaped/cutback crownpiecesare a necessity.
  • cob or horse size, depending on fit. Cob/pony length head (although can usually make horse sized cheekpieces work), but horse sized browband and nosebands are usually needed.
    -flash or regular noseband. Nothing too thick, since she has a pony head, but it needs to be nice and padded.
  • around $200, with some wiggle room.
  • again, cutback/shaped monocrowns so the princess doesn’t have her ears pinched

Help me find this bridle, oh knowledgable ones![/QUOTE]

I purchased mine from Flexible Fit, which meets all your requirements except possibly the very cutback crown. They do have cutouts for the ears but they’re not as deep as the one shown here.

However, you can pick all the parts in different sizes and order whatever noseband you want and they are padded with an extremely soft gel that really doesn’t seem to bother my sensitive soul’s ears.

The exchange rate is extremely favorable right now and I think my bridles were about $180 shipped. I feel they are much better quality than the smartpak one for ~$150.

I was really, really pleased with the Passier Ingrid Klimke bridle. It has a nice wide monocrown.

Since you like the HDR mono crown here is the Eventing version that has a flash.
http://www.statelinetack.com/item/henri-de-rivel-monocrown-event-bridle/E007040%20OVR/?srccode=GPSLT&gclid=COnuxu3blMYCFdKPHwodl8IH5A&kwid=productads-plaid^80397387468-sku^304413-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^40184828028

Or Stress Free
http://www.doversaddlery.com/hdr-pro-stress-free-flash-bridle/p/X1-12645/

If you are looking for black this won’t help as these appears to only be available in brown.

I have the Livorno snaffle from Horze which is a lovely bridle with an anatomical padded crown. I did have to eventually replace the brow band because my mare’s extravagant forelock got caught up in the crystals and broke them. The leather is pretty good quality for the price, and it comes with web reins.

The PS of Sweden bridles are gorgeous and certainly fit the anatomical bill, but are more than you wanted to spend. Plus, no reins or throat latch! O.o

I purcahsed a bridle for my mare from Wolds Exclusive Bling, and it is everything I could have ever hoped for in a bridle! It is perfect for her. I wish I could get on FB from work and share a picture. Oops sorry, this is out of your price point…

http://www.woldsexclusivebling.com/

[QUOTE=Wychwood;8193655]
How does that Smartpak one fit around the ears? It looks like the crownpiece is cutback but not the padding. Girl’s got sensitive mule ears :sigh:[/QUOTE]

You’re correct, the crownpiece is cut back but not the padding. The padding has a lot of give to it though. The great thing about SmartPak is they have free returns on sized items so you can order it and return it if marey says no. If you can wait for a sale you could get it for $85 or so, with member discounts etc. I show Grand Prix in mine and like it a lot, but then again my guy isn’t exactly the sensitive type. Still, it might be worth a look. It sounds like your girl will tell you quickly whether it’s acceptable or not.

Have you considered the Micklem if you’re into the anatomical/ergonomic designs? They’re in your price range, come in black, and are legal to show in.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/micklem-competition-bridle-8335

I have a horse that hates any weight or pressure on his poll, but just crosses/locks his jaw when he’s uncomfortable (no TMJ). I highly recommend the PS of Sweden Jump Off bridle. My horse has improved quite a bit in a relatively short time since he now accepts the bridle. The prices on their website include VAT (~20%), so the bridle isn’t quite as expensive as the listed price-- plus they have awesome resale value if you don’t like it. PS has sales a couple times a year (just had one), so you could always keep an eye out for the next. I’ve become quite a fan of the bridles and now try to collect more versions when they’re on sale-- 3 more arrived at my house last week… :smiley:

I’m going to second the PS of Sweden bridles. . . I have a super sensitive mare that has about the same sized head as your horse and the bridle has made a world of difference, though I have the High Jump Revolution, so no traditional flash. . . I have no idea how to post pics, but if you want I can send them to you!

I have been looking at the PS of Sweden bridles, but I like the more traditional-looking styles (especially the Flat-Out revolution, because I love flat bridles) and I’m not sure I see how they are more ergonomic than other dressage bridles. The crownpiece yes, but the rest of the bridle, no. Any comments?

My gelding is not at all sensitive, but I tried a Micklem on him because he’s kind of hard to fit (big Arab, cob bridles are too small and regular bridles are too big) and I love the ergonomic aspects. I currently have him in the deluxe competition version that has nicer leather, more padding, and some pretty stitching on the brow and nose bands. It is right about your price point, especially if you sell the dumb rubber reins that come with it and use whatever you already have.

MelanieC- The PS bridles for dressage aren’t any more ergonomic than traditional bridles aside from the crown piece. Dressage riders tend to be traditionalists. . . not that it’s a bad thing, but I would guess that anything unconventional would probably not be allowed for shows etc. Micklem’s are allowed though, if I’m not mistaken. I prefer my PS over a Micklem, mostly because of leather quality, but also because I can switch out the browbands if I’m feeling sparkly! :wink:

You might look into ordering from Bartville Harness. They will mix part together to get all the right sizes in your bridle pieces. They have a nice monocrown and you can also do custom order stuff. Very nice tack.