Unlimited access >

Help me source a saddle

It’s been a minute since I’ve bought a saddle in the US, and I’m after a few specific makes and models. I cannot find any locally, so I’ll have to buy online. I’d prefer used, but if my search proves to be fruitless then I’ll go new. I do have a good fitter to work with, she just doesn’t have what I need.

Horse already has an older saddle for basic training that fits well enough, but it’s time to upgrade.

I’m not opposed to buying off of eBay, but I would find it preferable for the saddle to have a trial of sorts so I can make sure I’m getting what I ordered in respect to condition and whatnot. Which websites are out there nowadays?

I do know of a few already such as Pelham, Highline, Liberty Saddlerly, Maryland saddlerly, Duchess, and Aiken Tack Exchange. I am in some groups on FB as well.

Just wanted to put this out to the collective and see what else is out there.

Given your previous good experience with Amerigo, I’d suggest a conversation with Ann Forrest at Equestrian Imports. They have both new and used Amerigo, but also a wide variety of other brands. Ann is an excellent saddle fitter in her own right.

3 Likes

Ann is excellent in distance situations!

2 Likes

I highly recommend Liberty Saddlery Liberty Saddlery LLC | Buy and Consign Saddles

I recently bought a lovely County Fusion and the process was so easy! I did work with a fitter during the 5-day trial and her input helped me negotiate a fair price. Great folks to deal with!

2 Likes

Also don’t discount looking overseas…I have recently picked up an Ideal Suzannah (super useful versatile fitting saddle) and an Albion Fabrento for much cheaper over there once I knew what I was looking for. Shipping is not that outrageous.

2 Likes

Ooh, good suggestion. Thanks!

I thought about looking overseas because I know that saddles are less expensive over there. Shipping is usually reasonable, I’d just have to figure out what I’d have to pay to customs and if it’d be worthwhile.

1 Like

Ann is who I have gotten all my Amerigos from.

Redwood Tack
Bounjour Tack
Facebook groups

eBay does have some excellent deals.

1 Like

daughter recently purchased a dressage saddle for England, the first shipping quotes were in the $600 range, she shopped the shipping obtained a quote of $159 by UPS Air.

Saddle was from a private seller who had no problem using the UPS shipping, Saddle arrived in eight days.

(and was supposed to have been a used saddle but her saddle fitter said that the saddle had never been on a horse before, it got her horse perfectlym saddle fitter it was as though the saddle had been made specifically for the horse

1 Like

I haven’t bought from them personally yet, but consistently hear good things about Fine Line and High Line saddles. They’re the same company with different brands of used saddles.

1 Like

To add to your list:

Equestrian Imports
Equitack
Olson’s Tack
Middleburg Tack Exchange
Maryland Tack Exchange

If you list the specific brand(s) you’re looking for people may know of some niche sources, sometimes small dealers can fly under the radar. Some brands have used inventory available on their main websites too.

1 Like

Really great suggestions so far, thank you everyone!

The brands I am focusing on are Amerigo and Equipe.

I’ve bought a few used saddles from the UK and never paid customs. In each case, I’ve resold them for enough to cover the cost plus shipping when I no longer needed them. These were Albion and Black Country.

Having just done a deep dive on searching for a used high-end jumping saddle, I can add Bonjour Tack, Pik and Louie, Malvern Saddlery, Liberty Saddlery, Gold Finch Fine Tack, Saddle Bank UK and Galloping Grape.

2 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised by the low shipping cost when I bought a saddle last fall. I think it was $100 from the UK, which is not at all different from what many people are quoting in the US. FWIW, I bought from a tack store in the UK. Shipping took about 10 days. Saddle arrived exactly as described. It’s a model that’s hard to source in the US.

2 Likes

I do know of some reputable UK sources, so I may end up going that route. I could’ve sworn that there would be customs fees to pay, but I guess I just made that up :rofl: I’ll still double check though.

You can be charged customs fees for anything over $800, but they don’t always enforce it.

https://www.nftc.org/de-minimis-a-vital-tax-exemption/#:~:text=The%20De%20Minimis%20Tax%20Exemption%20is%20a%20law%20that%20Congress,free%20of%20duty%20and%20taxes.

Be care buying overseas. I have had multiple clients gets scammed and lost money.

If you are close enough to Central VA message me

I did not pay customs fees on my last purchase, which was about 1K. I also bought from a tack store rather than an individual so had full tracking info.