Unlimited access >

Help me understand what makes a quality Saddle/best value (brand feedback request)

As a possible at least temporary fix, see if you can move your entire stirrups back on the saddle. Many western saddles hang the stirrups by looping then over the tree so it might be possible to silde them back so you are in better balance.

The stirrups go under the bar in a stirrup groove notched into the underside of the bar. If you just just slide them back, then you have lumps of leather underneath the bar. Also, depending on how the saddle is made, it is often impossible to move them back because the seat blocks them from going back.

I have a Mclelland’s that I love (bought used) https://www.facebook.com/McLellands-Inc-Saddlery-414536990716/timeline
It is with their all-around tree.

[QUOTE=Aspen1;8620255]
The stirrups go under the bar in a stirrup groove notched into the underside of the bar. If you just just slide them back, then you have lumps of leather underneath the bar. Also, depending on how the saddle is made, it is often impossible to move them back because the seat blocks them from going back.[/QUOTE]

I checked mine, as I did some research and some older Circle Y saddles actually have two separate “grooves” you can move the stirrups to and from. Naturally, mine doesn’t. Just one bolted in bar that they attach to. I sent pictures to the local tack guy and he said he’s moved them back for people before and they still had issues because it’s a trail saddle - designed for a purpose, and the chair seat is typically where those saddles put you. I love mine and it is a nice quality, comfortable, and lighter (relatively), really want those same qualities in a saddle with a more appropriate balance.

So I’m searching, keeping all this great feedback in mind. It’s tricky because Western saddles are so expensive to ship, no one wants to do trails and I don’t blame them, but I don’t want to buy one without sitting in it (or at least not without having sat in a like-for-like model).

Not a fan of the Bob’s, but that is because I like a non-padded seat. The Tim McQuay is a model type made by Bob’s.

I like Kyle tack a lot also. I personally ride in a Piland, but you don’t see them around much.

[QUOTE=Chrissy;8620504]
I checked mine, as I did some research and some older Circle Y saddles actually have two separate “grooves” you can move the stirrups to and from. Naturally, mine doesn’t. Just one bolted in bar that they attach to. I sent pictures to the local tack guy and he said he’s moved them back for people before and they still had issues because it’s a trail saddle - designed for a purpose, and the chair seat is typically where those saddles put you. I love mine and it is a nice quality, comfortable, and lighter (relatively), really want those same qualities in a saddle with a more appropriate balance.

So I’m searching, keeping all this great feedback in mind. It’s tricky because Western saddles are so expensive to ship, no one wants to do trails and I don’t blame them, but I don’t want to buy one without sitting in it (or at least not without having sat in a like-for-like model).[/QUOTE]

I really would not recommend a trail saddle for wd - it’s been my experience that you don’t move around a lot. They tend to “hold you in” at the hip. I have a performance saddle which is fabulous.

[QUOTE=bugsynskeeter;8620751]
Not a fan of the Bob’s, but that is because I like a non-padded seat. The Tim McQuay is a model type made by Bob’s.

I like Kyle tack a lot also. I personally ride in a Piland, but you don’t see them around much.[/QUOTE]

Bob’s have different models that fit different behinds, but most tend to fit performance horses well, why they are almost as much used as new, other than silver and such add-ons, that require a newer saddle to be worth more.

I broke my tail bone years ago and need some padding.
A bare saddle tends to irritate my behind for the longer rides.
Many dislike padding because when it gets wet, as you do working cattle, it becomes squishy and takes much longer to dry than a plain or rough out seat.
Some saddlers get around that with close cell foam, but that also only can go so far to help in that situation.

For much showing, where you don’t have to ride in downpours, you are indoors or the footing outdoors if raining becomes too slick so classes are cancelled, padded seats tend to be the norm.

The quality in Bobs has always been above many others.
Their saddles are not stamped, but properly hand tooled with tight tooling, no large empty spaces in the tooling, that stays in the pattern, doesn’t has lines sticking out here and there once the leather is applied to the saddle, etc.
They tend to have good finishes all around, no frazzling leather on the edges.

[QUOTE=Palm Beach;8620913]
I really would not recommend a trail saddle for wd - it’s been my experience that you don’t move around a lot. They tend to “hold you in” at the hip. I have a performance saddle which is fabulous.[/QUOTE]

I know! I have one lol. That’s why I’m picking your brains. I ended up with a Curcle Y flex tree trail model when I tried WD and discovered I really enjoyed it. I needed a saddle of my own fairly quickly (great trainer, great lesson horses, unfortunately the adult-sized saddles she has didn’t fit me) and didn’t research much at all. Just knew trainer thought well of Circle Y saddles for price and life expectancy, my goal was comfort and fit.

As I’ve ridden more and done some showing, realized the forward set stirrups and the lockdown (as you described it, very accurate) balance aren’t the best for WD and really work against me. I will probably keep it for trail riding though; it was inexpensive and I can ride in it for hours.

What type of Performance saddle do you have? How different is it from the Reiner models? I haven’t come across many, just the Julie Goodnight ones.

[QUOTE=bugsynskeeter;8620751]

I like Kyle tack a lot also. I personally ride in a Piland, but you don’t see them around much.[/QUOTE]

I definitely have to have a padded seat… used one of my trainers saddles with a non-padded seat for a very long lesson. My butt will never forgive me. Bruised my seat bones!

I’m truly just a wimp, as a former Hunter rider who spent many years floating delicately just above my Devoucoux the majority of the time! All this sitting is toughening me up (and my posture has improved!) but I just don’t think I’ll ever be tough enough for a non-padded seat lol.

I see some of the Bobs saddles even have DOUBLE padding, that’s right up my alley.

For me, the only criteria was fit. My old butt can get used to anything as long as it suits my horse first.

I second the padded seat!

I had a Dakota now, not that brand matters to me. It’s all about the fit.

[QUOTE=Doctracy;8617306]
I have an older Trophy Tack. They are out of business but may be able to find one. Mine is close contact and sits me correctly.[/QUOTE]

Is this the same Trophy Tack?
http://www.skylinevaquero.com/Vaquero_Saddles.php

What about a roughout or half breed training saddle that seats you upright? Some of the Billy Royals ought to do that. Butterfly skirts to reduce bulk.

Some of the current training saddles are designed for reiners who want to sit on their pockets with feet out in front. Some others don’t have those forward-hung stirrups, though, and tend to drop your legs straighter underneath you.

A 16" FQHB training saddle should be easy to resell if you want to dump it later. You can also probably find a used one. Schneider Saddlery has some good sales on theirs but offhand, I don’t know what time(s) of the year.

I’m not surprised that you’re chairseated in a Circle Y. I’ve always had that prob with them, even their Flex tree models. I like the TexTan configuration better, b/c I’m not reaching so far for the stirrups. Most of the old '70s - ’ 90s vintage saddles, I think will be “out” if you want to avoid chair seat. You have to look at newer saddles, I expect, to get upright classical seat position + a modern wide FQHB tree.

[QUOTE=TC3200;8621236]
Is this the same Trophy Tack?
http://www.skylinevaquero.com/Vaquero_Saddles.php[/QUOTE]

No. It’s Trophy Tack,Bixby,OK.
I also had a show saddle from Allen Ranch but the guy who did the best work is no longer alive.