Unlimited access >

Help me understand what makes a quality Saddle/best value (brand feedback request)

I know, I know… Not another saddle thread.

Background: I’m very new to western riding. Tried WD at the end of the year and fell in love. I have a kind, well respected trainer who has a classical dressage background (German import) who kindly doesn’t dictate tack choices as long as everything is safe, well fitted, and not gaudy. I ride whatever horse is available 3-4x/week and purchased a comfortable and affordable Circle Y trail saddle as a starter.

I’ve done some showing, and will continue to show locally for the rest of the year. I’ve picked up a lot of knowledge from the multitude of “saddle for Western Dressage” posts out there, but need some help with finer details.

Specifically, I’m having trouble understanding quality and price point. I feel like I am in the Crosby of Western saddles right now (or whatever the favorite Hunter/Jumper starter brand is these days!) and am looking for a more appropriate balance for WD than the trail saddles provide. Leg underneath and in line with the hip/shoulder vs. fender slightly forward. Right now I do a lot of “resetting” throughout my rides to get out of the chair and into an effective seat. Throughout reading the existing threads I’ve decided that I need one of Mike Corocorans gorgeous, perfectly balanced custom saddles one day, but I don’t own my own horse so full custom is excessive and silly at this point in time. One day. Taking my current level and goals into consideration, what is my in-between brand that will hold its value.

Reining and Working saddles look like the best style match, but I can’t make sense of what is overpriced trendy garbage and what is a good, quality saddle that the won’t fall apart and will allow me to think about my position less actively??? The (two) Reining saddles I tried were also LONG and heavy. My size/tree combo is fortunately very common (16" FQHB)

Names/Makers/Brands I’ve seen pop up which seemed like “maybes”, would like specific feedback:

Billy Cook
Circle Y (reining specific models, older)
Continental (very few used floating around and only one so far in my price window, under $1500, closer to $1k is better)
Crates (appealing price point, haven’t handled one in person)
Dakota (very affordable, eyebrow raising affordable)
Darrel Slinkard
Tex Tan
Bobs Custom (only the most well-used and practically dilapidated ones)
Tim MacQuay
Jim Taylor

TIA for your personal feedback and knowledge sharing. I really appreciate the aggregate experience on the Western board even though it has a smaller following! Lots of quality information, always.

Not to discourage you, but buying a saddle before owning a horse really doesn’t make a ton of sense. Spend the money on lessons. Getting a good saddle at this point guarantees it won’t fit a single horse you want to ride…life is funny like that.

If you’re looking to spend more than $1000-$1500 you won’t really make much of leap in quality beyond the one you’re in unless you find a good used item, and you’re better off finding a local friend with an eye for quality if you go that route.

If you’re having trouble keeping your leg under you you can cheat by buying a set of 4-5" wide bell stirrups. They sort of move the balance point of the stirrup back underneath you, or give the same feeling. I’ve done this with store bought saddles where the hanging position is more forward than I like. They’re heavy, but safer than the more normal 2" or so wide ones:
http://outwestsaddlery.com/saddle-accessories/stirrups

If you absolutely have to buy something, McCall would be a good option too.

I keep a version of this around as a colt saddle, just has an inlaid seat:
http://www.irvinesaddles.ca/products/15-irvine-wade-saddle-irs-06

Nothing to write home about for fit and finish (heaven help you if you look at the underside of the cantle binding), but built tough. Just not elegant.

If you absolutely have to buy something, McCall would be a good option too.

I keep a version of this around as a colt saddle, just has an inlaid seat (those are Canadian dollars FYI):
http://www.irvinesaddles.ca/products/15-irvine-wade-saddle-irs-06

Nothing to write home about for fit and finish (heaven help you if you look at the underside of the cantle binding), but built tough. Just not elegant.

Took a year of dressage lessons in it with no issues after adding wider stirrups, and I ride it in the mountains when my wife asks for her custom saddle back (my normal rig).

I have an older Trophy Tack. They are out of business but may be able to find one. Mine is close contact and sits me correctly.

There are some saddles here in your price range, that could possibly work:

http://www.cowdogsaddles.com/saddles-tn.php

You didn’t mention what size saddle you need.

One reason you don’t see many used Continental saddles is that is a new company.

Whatever you get, you really get what you pay for as far as quality, but can get better quality in the good, older, used saddles.

I agree with the others that you may not want to buy a GOOD saddle just yet, because you do not have a horse. As you may know from reading all the saddle threads, that saddle fitting can be tricky and even the most expensive saddle will not fit every horse.

But to answer your question:

What I would call a good “starter” saddle. They aren’t junk, but they also are not top dog. Older saddles will be better quality than the newer ones.

[QUOTE=Chrissy;8617208]
Circle Y (reining specific models, older) [/QUOTE]

Also a good starter saddle. And also the OLDER Circle Y saddles are going to be higher quality than newer versions.

With that said, I just so happen to have two fairly new Circle Y saddles that I use on my horses. Happened to be what fit them very well!

[QUOTE=Chrissy;8617208]
Crates (appealing price point, haven’t handled one in person) [/QUOTE]

Crates makes very nice saddles. I would certainly consider them well above “starter” level. Very good quality.

[QUOTE=Chrissy;8617208]
Dakota (very affordable, eyebrow raising affordable) [/QUOTE]

There’s a reason these are very affordable. IMO they are complete junk. I won’t even look at them.

Love Tex Tan, personally. Especially if you find an older one that has been well taken care of. Great quality.

[QUOTE=Chrissy;8617208]
Darrel Slinkard
Bobs Custom (only the most well-used and practically dilapidated ones)
Tim MacQuay
Jim Taylor
Continental [/QUOTE]

These ones I am personally not familiar with and/or have not used myself.

My Dale Chavez has really good balance and lets me keep my feet under me.

Thanks guys! At this point even though fitting multiple horses can be tough (it’s why I have a shimmable pad and stick with FQHB and “shorter” saddles) I have to have my own - lesson saddles for adults are not plentiful at my barn, the ones she has for adults are 17"+ seats and I swim in them, or just uncomfortable. Otherwise I wouldn’t bother sinking any money into one!

I figure if I have to, I should get one the fits me and helps my cause. Great feedback! I think personal experiences with brands are most helpful.

The Circle Y Flex2 tree is a good one, and will fit most “regular” stock types. Circle Y offers a bunch of different saddles and price points with this tree. The tree is the most important part of the saddle, IMHO. As you go up in price, the quality of the leather, amount of tooling, and silver goes up.

I agree that it’s the kiss of death to buy a saddle before the horse, but I totally understand that you need to be in a saddle that fits you to ride effectively. I don’t think that $1,000-$2,000 is too much to invest in a saddle at this point. Horsesaddleshop.com has many options wrt brands and types.

I’d buy used at that point, since the resale value on mass market saddles is pretty low.

I have to buy used, for sure! Can’t stand breaking in new saddles! Plus they all seem to depreciate rather alarmingly, as you mentioned.

I know whatever I end up with will not magically end up a perfect fit for the ponies who kindly haul me around, but with the shimmable pad we get close enough to keep them happy. ??

[QUOTE=Chrissy;8617981]
I have to buy used, for sure! Can’t stand breaking in new saddles! Plus they all seem to depreciate rather alarmingly, as you mentioned.

I know whatever I end up with will not magically end up a perfect fit for the ponies who kindly haul me around, but with the shimmable pad we get close enough to keep them happy. ??[/QUOTE]

From that standpoint, might want to make sure whatever you do go with has full QH bars. While you can sometimes shim a saddle that is too wide, there’s not a thing you can do if the saddle is too narrow. Of course, there is also a limit if the saddle is WAY too wide.

Just from my experience:

Continental: newer company, heard good things about them and rode one, nice saddle.

Bob’s: Rode a pile of them over the years, love them. Thats why they hold their value.

Crates: Never rode a Crates reiner but had a team roping saddle, good saddle that lasted through some serious abuse and still sold it for a decent chunk of change. The newer ones don’t look as well made though.

Circle Y: Used to ride a barrel saddle made in the 80’s, good saddle, ran barrels in it and used it to start colts. Again not a fan of the newer ones.

McCall: older ones were great saddles. Have a friend that is a sales rep for them now, you couldn’t pay me enough to use a new one.

Good luck in your search.

Coming from a Reiner, love all of the bobs custom saddles I’ve ridden in. We have 7 of them in our barn, all different models and they all fit our horses. I’m impatiently waiting my first (my own purchase) brand new bobs custom that should be here in a few weeks!!!

I also like continental. Very comfortable and more affordable but hard to find used.

Buy a full QH bar and you will be amazed by the variety of horses it fits by using different pads. Being a training facility, we can’t buy a saddle for every horse in the barn (that’s more of an English thing I think) but 70 horses, not one back sore. I pay special attention to pad usage and watch sweat marks but so far so good. :wink:

By the way, if you’re on Facebook, keep an eye on the page, Saddle Switch, there’s some pricey stuff on there but all quality and a significant amount below $1500. I just saw a bobs saddle “bob Avila” for 1250

[QUOTE=TheHunterKid90;8618606]
By the way, if you’re on Facebook, keep an eye on the page, Saddle Switch, there’s some pricey stuff on there but all quality and a significant amount below $1500. I just saw a bobs saddle “bob Avila” for 1250[/QUOTE]

I follow her! But they go QUICK, really great pricing! I’m not on enough to get “dibs”, but I did message her with my specs. It’s first come first serve though.

[QUOTE=TheHunterKid90;8618603]
Coming from a Reiner, love all of the bobs custom saddles I’ve ridden in. We have 7 of them in our barn, all different models and they all fit our horses. I’m impatiently waiting my first (my own purchase) brand new bobs custom that should be here in a few weeks!!!

I also like continental. Very comfortable and more affordable but hard to find used.

Buy a full QH bar and you will be amazed by the variety of horses it fits by using different pads. Being a training facility, we can’t buy a saddle for every horse in the barn (that’s more of an English thing I think) but 70 horses, not one back sore. I pay special attention to pad usage and watch sweat marks but so far so good. ;)[/QUOTE]

I mentioned it in a couple of my posts, buried in my wordines, but I’m definitely getting FQHB! My coach also insists, for the reasons you mentioned. She is a fan of Circle Y because they have a long lifespan at a nice price point, but isn’t dictating a brand for me. It makes the most sense with multiple horses in the picture to have the FQHB, for sure. Luckily all my trusty lesson steeds have a similar basic round, low wither stock horse builds, so I’ve only had one instance where my current saddle (a late model Circle Y flex tree FQHB) didn’t work even with shims.

I would love to sit in one of the Bobs saddles, balance looks fantastic and they are definitely close contact. I’ve only seen one in my price range, and it was nearing the end of its lifespan. Hoping to get to Ocala in a few weeks to sit in some more saddles with these recommendations and testimonies in mind.

COTH is such a great resource! I’m not shy and ask my local experts the same questions I post here, but it’s not the same broad range of knowledge you find here. Thanks again everyone!

As a possible at least temporary fix, see if you can move your entire stirrups back on the saddle. Many western saddles hang the stirrups by looping then over the tree so it might be possible to silde them back so you are in better balance.

Chrissy, I sent you a PM.