Help Me with Ulcery Mini/Purina Outlast or Alfalfa Pellets Or?

My 12 year old mini gelding Cappy has chronic ulcers. First found last year when he was in for dental surgery. He was treated with Gastrogard and Sucralfate and scoped clean a few months later. In December he went off his feed and had watery manure, so we treated again. He was scoped yesterday and has “mild glandular gastric disease localized to pylorus.” We are treating for 7 more days.

The vet recommended 1. Purina Outlast 1/3 cup twice a day and before work or alfalfa pellets used in the same way. 2. Relyne GI, Protek GI or Egusin SLH. 3. A tablespoon of corn oil twice daily as it protects the glandular portion of the stomach.

My question is, which would be more beneficial, the Purina Outlast or Alfalfa? I’m somewhat worried about the NSC of the Outlast which I think is 15%.

Also, of the three gastric supplements, which would be a good choice?

Mini is not metabolic and gets a total of 5ish lbs feed a day divided into 5 feedings. Diet is 4 lbs hay, 1 lb chopped hay, and a handful of timothy pellets for his supplements (vit e, Remission, Healthy Coat oil, Benegest Pro)

Any suggestions appreciated, TIA!

ETA: Oops, pic posted in the middle, sorry! That’s Himself.

WHAT a cutie!!!

Personally, I prefer alfalfa pellets. I steer clear of molasses for mine that have struggled with ulcers.
Aloe vera juice has also been shown to have some benefits.

I’ve never used any of those three supplements. Knew someone who swears by Uckele G.U.T.

1 Like

Thanks! He’s a special little man, my DH’s best buddy. I was leaning towards alfalfa just because of the molasses thing but I wanted to get as much input as possible.