Unlimited access >

Help! MTG caused ponies hair to fall out.

I’ve never posted on COH or on a forum before so bear with me please! I have a German Riding Pony who has apparently has very sensitive skin. He’s prone to getting rubs and all the mud/moisture related funguses and whatnot. I used MTG on my last horse and a few friends horses and it was wonderful! I used it on my GRP hoping it would help his rubs grow hair faster. A week or so later, he started loosing hair in clumps and has dry, flakey, scabbed, irritated skin all over the right side of his face where I used the MTG, and in areas the MTG didn’t touch. He now is almost completely bald on the right side of his face and I’m devastated. My vet is coming this week to look at him but I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a good product, prescription or not, that will help my poor horse grow his hair back. Any help is so greatly appreciated!! He is very head shy so products I can use in a gel/cream are preferred over a spray but I’m desperate at this point so if it’s a spray, that’s fine too. Thank you!

If you wash the area with an iodine-based product prior to applying MTG, the hair falls out. I don’t use it. I use Equiderma to solve skin issues, and it works well. It is a green lotion that you leave on. Another poster will be better able to help you with the hair re-growth.

IME you are probably better off not putting anything else on it if the skin is irritated. The hair will regrow on its own anyway.

I had bought a bottle of vitamin e oil to supplement one of my horses’ diets in the winter, but the horse won’t touch it. I read somewhere that topical vitamin e oil can help hair grow back faster; I was skeptical, but it wasn’t like I wasn’t using the stuff for anything else. I started putting it on some scrapes and scratches a little over a week ago.

Maybe it’s just the season, but believe it or not, it actually seems to be working and working well. I’m a little dumbfounded!

[QUOTE=Highflyer;8674484]
IME you are probably better off not putting anything else on it if the skin is irritated. The hair will regrow on its own anyway.[/QUOTE]

This. I recently asked my vet about this, and he confirmed there are bogus miracle cures out there, but they don’t work. The only thing for regrowth is time.

I know that’s not what you wanted to hear, but he’ll be ok. Just make sure you protect his skin from sunburn and rubs in the mean time, and his hair will grown back on its own.

Yeah I’ve heard NTG can do that… which is why I cringe when people jump to suggest people try it.
Always try a small amount somewhere first to make sure your horse isn’t one who will have a bad reaction.

Personally I avoid the stuff, lots of other options that don’t do this.

Yes, try just some Vit E oil to soothe the skin, or even some zinc oxide to soothe and protect from the sun. It will grow back.

This is why you couldn’t pay me to use that stuff - too many reactions like this.

I loathe MTG. I have seen several horses react badly to it, and I’ve never seen it do anything that other topicals can’t do as well or better.

Use real medicine, not snake oil and you’re better off. Especially if you plan to use oil based stuff (literally). Lots of horses don’t react well to oil based stuff. I’d never think of using MTG. Bad new bears for many. Try using real medicine prescibed by your vet until you know better. Once you know better, you can find options on your own-an it will never be MTG.

MTG specifically says on the bottle that if your horse lives outside or spends a lot of time outside that you shouldn’t use it… I wouldn’t use it anyway, anything that smells that bad has no use around horses IMO. If you want to soothe irritated skin, there are lots of products that will help with that, but as to regrowing hair, it just takes tincture of time. Some horses (my first horse was one) lose a lot of their facial hair in the summer anyway, so perhaps he’s one of those types?

Most of the horses I have seen a reaction in are the ones that the person applied MTG too liberally then turned the horse out in the sun resulting in a sunburn from the amount of oil in MTG. Oil increases the sun’s UV days like a magnifying glass and hence increases burning.

If you’re going to out MTG on best to do it when a horse will be inside.

Equiderma lotion is all you need. It will clear up with MTG did and take care of the original problem.

WOW is anyone else seeing the banner ad for Shapely’s medicated shampoo showing up on the right as they read this thread…coincidence or creepy internet target marketing!!!

I can’t stand M-T-G, either. I have seen more horses with adverse reactions than positive. I don’t know if they have warnings on the bottle, but they have some on their site.

• The oil in Original M-T-G may make your horse sensitive to the sun and susceptible to sunburn. If the horse spends a lot of time in the direct sun you may want to apply Original M-T-G in early evening.

• Original M-T-G may produce heat when applied so you will want to be careful applying a leg wrap over top of it as it will act as a sweat.

• When applying Original M-T-G and NEW Original M-T-G plus, more is not always better. Apply sparingly.

• A quick and easy way to eliminate the Original M-T-G “smell” from your hands is to spray Easy-Out on your hands, rub in well and wash out the smell.

[QUOTE=nu2u;8676213]
WOW is anyone else seeing the banner ad for Shapely’s medicated shampoo showing up on the right as they read this thread…coincidence or creepy internet target marketing!!![/QUOTE]

The irony - I noticed that, too! Like the others said M-T-G smells terrible (like a filthy used tire shop). I’ve heard way too many horror stories about hair loss from using it.