Unlimited access >

Help, my horse has navicular

[QUOTE=suddenly711;7183837]
Thanks for the link. My horse is now in the same as yours. My farrier didn’t know about and didn’t have the NB wedge shoe. Do you know what the degree of the wedge is?? I can’t find it online anywhere. Also, have you heard anything about or ever used the NB Frog wedge pads?[/QUOTE]

My farrier told me they were about a 3 degree wedge if I remember correctly - POSSIBLY a 2 degree, but I keep thinking 3. Mine needs full pads which is why we go with the wedge pad vs the wedged shoes now. I personally have not used the frog wedge pads but my farrier has used them many times and could explain them to you further if you want to send her an email. Her website is http://www.equibalancefarrier.com/ and her name is Beth.

[QUOTE=LDavis104;7184002]
My farrier told me they were about a 3 degree wedge if I remember correctly - POSSIBLY a 2 degree, but I keep thinking 3. Mine needs full pads which is why we go with the wedge pad vs the wedged shoes now. I personally have not used the frog wedge pads but my farrier has used them many times and could explain them to you further if you want to send her an email. Her website is http://www.equibalancefarrier.com/ and her name is Beth.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thank you very much. I’ll do that

I don’t know if my 19- y.o. gelding has “navicular”, although he has something going on in the right front that we think is a soft tissue problem. However, when I bought him 12 years ago he had very long toes, and the farrier put him in regular steel NB to help move the breakover back. We tried aluminum but he loses them for some reason. NB came out with a “light” version a number of years ago which we switched to, and we added a 2 degree wedge pad with a built up section under the frog due to his pastern angles. The farrier uses a medicated hoof packing and we have not had problems with thrush.

Anyway, this entire combination is what he would be in if he does have navicular. He is also on Previcoxx for the problem on the right front, and the farrier says he is remarkably limber. We do not see the little bit of head bobbing we used to see when he was trotting on tight right circles.